SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teach me how to grill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teach me how to grill Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Whatever grill you get, jump on YouTube and watch how to control the temps. Like many others have said, get a thermometer! Always grill to temp. I have multiple cookbooks that are all grilling. Don’t be afraid to experiment, just not on an expensive piece of meat!

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I have a cheap thermometer but it looks like I need to invest in a better one.

And yes, a second propane tank is a good idea too.

I’m mostly cooking burgers, bratwursts, and thinner type steaks. I’d like to try some chicken and thicker steaks some time. I may wait until I get a little better at it though.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Return the gas grill and buy a Weber Charcoal grill haha.

There are some great videos on youtube about grilling with tips and tricks.

It takes some trial and error but one you know your temps and durations, grilling is easy.

There is room for both. Gas for instant gratification like burgers brats and steaks. The Weber will do so much more. Not a smoker but it plays one on tv. Charcoal ads it’s own flavor that until you have gas and charcoal next each other it’s hard to appreciate.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m mostly cooking burgers, bratwursts, and thinner type steaks. I’d like to try some chicken and thicker steaks some time. I may wait until I get a little better at it though.

It's easy to over cook stuff. Particularly the thinner type steaks. If it has no pink in the middle and tastes like shoe leather, you over cooked it. Wink

You'll do fine... practice makes perfect!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://barbecuebible.com/

Steven covers about everything about grilling. The Barbecue Bible will introduce you to a vast range of grilling.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BBQ and Grilling Guru!

http://howtobbqright.com/

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tell you about limes and coconuts , but thats pretty much my extent , sorry

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/f...forumdisplay.php?f=5

I've learned a lot from these guys. It's the SigForum of BBQ.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A couple pointers from me:

1. If you have a cheapie grill, it's never going to get hot enough to really grill things well. I'd get rid of the cheapie one and look for a used Weber gas grill, they can usually be found for less than $100 on yard sale sites and refurbed if needed for around $50 or less.

2. Get a brush like this one, skip the cheap square ones:

3. Get your grill as hot as you can, and give the grates a quick wipe with a balled up paper towel with a bit of vegetable oil on it held by your tongs. You want to get a good sear/crust first then lower your heat to cook.

4. If you want to go charcoal too, the Weber Kettle grills are pretty damn awesome and the 22.5" model is the most popular and versatile. Can be had for $150 or less most places. I have a green one like this:

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillF:
https://barbecuebible.com/

Steven covers about everything about grilling. The Barbecue Bible will introduce you to a vast range of grilling.

X2 Steve is my BBQ Guru/hero

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Tonight I cooked some t-bones. Man they were good. I didn’t get a good sear on them. I was afraid of burning them. Man this grilling thing is awesome. I’m starting to get some flare ups so I think I need to clean the burners good. Thanks for the help everyone.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
How done do you like your steaks?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Tonight I cooked some t-bones. Man they were good. I didn’t get a good sear on them. I was afraid of burning them. Man this grilling thing is awesome. I’m starting to get some flare ups so I think I need to clean the burners good. Thanks for the help everyone.

Totally useless without the obligatory pictures (and the quater next to the steak for size comparison) and the "with protection" piece!
Big Grin

Glad you're enjoying your new found hobby!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

About medium

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

Totally useless without the obligatory pictures (and the quater next to the steak for size comparison) and the "with protection" piece!
Big Grin

Glad you're enjoying your new found hobby!

I couldn’t take the time to snap pictures. I was afraid some scoundrel would take off with them. I remember reading here that the best seasoning is just some salt and pepper so that’s what I used. It worked great. I think the foreman dries things out where the grill, when I cook to temp and not time as you all have suggested, keeps everything moist and so much more flavorful.

posted Hide Post
Some common threads:
GET A THERMAPEN STAT.
GET IT AS HOT AS POSSIBLE and sear, and then drop to low.
Have a second tank.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

About medium

Cooking to medium and assuming a semi-reasonable thickness, you will have a hard time really burning the surface of your steaks with anything less than a solid pile of hardwood charcoal with good airflow set close to the cooking grates or a really unusually high output gas grill (when I moved into my current house, it came with a built-in Viking grill that gets that hot - my old three-burner Weber wouldn't).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Practice. I grilled a 3# brisket Sunday, indirect charcoal heat and included a few hickory chunks (for the balming carcinogenic effects but it does add to taste) and it cooked too fast.

Today I'll find a 3# pork loin, pretty much dress it the same way, but reduce charcoal by ¼.

Yesterday I did 80/20 and dogs on a small single layer in the middle of the round 18" Weber, with a few wood chips. Came out great!

Wow, fresh charcoal makes a difference. And this stuff is grey and ready to cook in 20 minutes. I know you're on gas, but looking ahead, quality - or no - lighter fluid.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Many cases of wires coming off wire brushes ending up in stomachs requiring emergency surgery. Use a ball of wadded up aluminum foil instead.

Get a second tank. Ask all your friends and family for an old expired rusty tank. They will give you one for free. Then swap it at propane exchange.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Many cases of wires coming off wire brushes ending up in stomachs requiring emergency surgery. Use a ball of wadded up aluminum foil instead.
I've seen the safety presntations on this too.

I use a wire brush like PASig posted (i.e. an all metal one without plastic to melt and drop wires) immediately after taking food off. Prior to next grilling, I use grill stone cleaning block to knock off anything missed and knock off any wires.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post