SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HS swimmer disqualified because... too much butt was showing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HS swimmer disqualified because... too much butt was showing Login/Join 
posted
Officials, over interpreting the rule book, disqualified a high school swimmer in Anchorage, where a girl had BOTH buttocks touching upon her getting out of the pool, thus violating the no buttocks visible rule. Really?! She's wearing the same uniform as the rest of her teammates, I'm sure these uniforms pass muster with whatever governing board yet, because she's got a bit more in the trunk, that's not good. Naturally, the arguments devolved into race, gender and all the other hot-button third-rail topics.

What's next, uniform police at gymnastics? how about volleyball, that's just a wedgie festival. Roll Eyes

‘Uniform violation’ robs Anchorage high school swimmer of a victory and sparks a controversy
quote:
A Dimond High School swimmer was denied a victory Friday after she was disqualified for a “uniform violation,” prompting a widely shared blog post by an Anchorage swim coach who lashed out at the decision.

The National Federation of High Schools rule in question says boys must cover their buttocks and girls must cover their buttocks and breasts.

An official who worked at Friday’s meet at Dimond High said the referee who disqualified the girl said she could see “butt cheek touching butt cheek.”

The disqualified swimmer participated in four races Friday and was disqualified from one, according to the official results. Three weeks into the season, she has competed in 14 races and been disqualified once.

In a statement released Monday afternoon, the Anchorage School District said it is reviewing the incident.

“The disqualification appears to stem from a difference of opinion in the interpretation of the rules governing high school swim uniforms,” the statement said. “We intend to gather all the facts surrounding the disqualification so we can accurately address the matter with officials and take appropriate action to ensure fair, equitable competition and consistent application of the rules for this athlete and her peers.”

Annette Rohde, who was working as an official at the dual meet between Dimond and Chugiak, said she “froze in disbelief” when she saw the disqualification decision by the meet referee, who has not been officially identified.

Rohde said she questioned the referee about it after the meet.

“I told her, ‘I need to know how you’re defining this, because this is going to blow up,’ ’’ Rohde said.

She said the official replied that the bottom of the girl’s suit “was so far up I could see butt cheek touching butt cheek.’’

South High coach Cliff Murray, a longtime swim coach, said at the beginning of the season that Anchorage high school coaches were told “that as far as the buttocks region goes, you should not be showing any part of the intergluteal cleft.”

There is no reference to the intergluteal cleft in the national rulebook.

“From my understanding it’s a case-by-case basis,” Murray said of enforcement, adding that some officials have “a harder problem with it than others.”

“If you’re in a situation where your suit creeps up, somebody comes over to a coach and says ‘hey, you’ve got an athlete who needs to adjust his or her suit,’ and they have that opportunity to fix it,” Murray said. “And if they don’t, there are ramifications.”

Rohde said she doesn’t know if the Dimond girl’s suit rode up before, during or after the race. She said she didn’t notice it at all.

Leif Jacobsen, the Bartlett activities principal in charge of swimming and diving for the Anchorage School District, said Friday’s disqualification is the only uniform violation he’s aware of this season, which started Aug. 23. Friday’s was the third meet of the season for Dimond.

The school district said the disqualified swimmer “was wearing the approved, school-issued suit during the race." Dimond High purchased the approved suits for all of its swimmers this year, the district said.

When news of the disqualification spread through the swimming community, West High coach Lauren Langford decided to write about it.

She believes some officials are targeting the Dimond swimmer because she and her two sisters, who are also on the team, don’t look like other swimmers. They are mixed-race and “curvy,” she said.

“It comes down in my opinion to the race thing," she said. Asked if the girls’ achievements -- the sisters are among the best high school swimmers in Anchorage -- she said that could be part of it, too.

“It was so targeted. It was so intentional, and so individual," Langford said. "She’s one of three girls on the Dimond team who look like her. Everybody else is in same suit, sized to fit, and yet on a team of however many girls she was the only one that got singled out?

“I was filled with so much anguish over the way these young girls have been forced to suffer.”

That’s why she wrote about it on medium.com in a post titled “Alaska High School Swimming & Diving’s Inexcusable Swimsuit Scandal.”

The disqualification and the post have become hot topics. Rohde said it has divided the swim community into groups that think girls are showing too much skin and those who think suits that ride up on the buttocks is part of swimming.

“We have a term for it – it’s called a suit wedgie, and if you’ve ever been a swimmer, you’ve had one,” Langford said.

Langford, Rohde and Murray all said they have never seen the Dimond girl purposely alter her suit so that it is not covering her buttocks.

Annika Rohde, Annette Rohde’s daughter and a junior on the Dimond swim team, criticized the decision.

“The concept of docking points from a girl because of her body is just ridiculous,” she said.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If she was walking around like that, after getting out of the water, maybe okay.

If she rearranged her suit after getting out of the water (as a candidate for the 1980 Olympic swim team, I understand this maneuver for both men and women), not so good for the ref or the "interpreted rule."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yet these Left-tards can't figure out which bathroom to use. Where IS that damned comet?!?!?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’m really tempted to post a video of Sir Mix-A-Lot

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Cheeky girl

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
For those who are not aware. All them girls got tits and ass under that bathing suit.

And them boys? Well, there's bait and tackle.

The horror...

Comet, indeed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Bum call.

Ref: "Disqualified for showing the intergluteal cleft.”
Athlete: "But why?"
Ref: "Exactly!"

"Hey! She was asskin' for it."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
TTIWWOP

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
One of those painted on swim suits would probably stay in place better.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
TTIWWOP
Nope

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
For those who are not aware. All them girls got tits and ass under that bathing suit.

And them boys? Well, there's bait and tackle.

The horror...

Comet, indeed.

You don't know that after covered up those parts don't exist? Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intergluteal Cleft?
I did not know I had one. Thanks, Alaska!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
How do have ONE buttock touching?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Dear Penthouse:

… “was so far up I could see butt cheek touching butt cheek’’ ...

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
TTIWWOP

Ya had to make me go look it up w- meaning: "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures". Yeah, but they'll sort it out. These subjective things always cause issues.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
rusbro
Chip away the stone

posted September 10, 2019 01:15 PM Hide Post

Ah, so, Grasshopper. What is the sound of one buttock touching?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm sure someone is about to crack this case wiiiide open!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some official that needed to justify their position.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
“From my understanding it’s a case-by-case basis,” Murray said of enforcement, adding that some officials have “a harder problem with it than others.”

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Serious Zen mastery.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post