SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any NW Montana folks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any NW Montana folks Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Looking for anybody in the area of Whitefish MT. We are headed that way in September but are concerned about wildfire smoke. My wife has asthma and can't handle much smoke.
Hoping somebody out that way can keep me informed on conditions, wind patterns, ect.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may help. Winds (and thus smoke) change by the minute.

https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/afm/#

https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We live 10 miles from Whitefish. At this very moment, the air is sparkling clean.

This, however, can change in a heartbeat. Stay in touch and I'll be happy to provide current conditions.

Here's a link to some webcams on Big Mountain, just north of Whitefish.

We're praying for the best.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never thought about any web cams and we will be staying a condo at the ski resort.
Thanks for the hint!

Found the cams, does look good right now.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Here is another good one.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
We're about 50 miles S of Whitefish; the smoky haze can come and go 10 times in a day - winds are fickle here.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Here's the state's air quality map:
http://svc.mt.gov/deq/todaysair/
It's impossible to predict what it will be like until your visit. Early snows would help a lot, but recent trends indicate that is unlikely.

Here's the Glacier web cams:
https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn...ltimedia/webcams.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MTJbyrd,

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
We're about 50 miles S of Whitefish; the smoky haze can come and go 10 times in a day - winds are fickle here.

Can I ask where about? I spent my Summer's on Swan Lake.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Usually by mid Sept we get our annual change from the Summer to Fall weather pattern and have a good rain/snow storm, to put out any fires left from the Summer.

Hopefully it's on time this year and You guys should be fine.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Never thought about any web cams and we will be staying a condo at the ski resort.
Thanks for the hint!

Found the cams, does look good right now.

Enjoy!!

My forum name is in reference to winter aspects on the Big. I've got about 800 days skiing there

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:

West shore of Flathead lake, year round. Love the Swan!

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:

West shore of Flathead lake, year round. Love the Swan!

I've done a lot of motorcycle camping off of hwy 83 including the Swan Lake area. Beautiful country for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
^^^ Uncle had horses at his place on Swan. My youth there formed who I am today by going into the Bob Marshall for a week or more at a crack. I consider myself very lucky to have had those experiences.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Looking for anybody in the area of Whitefish MT. We are headed that way in September but are concerned about wildfire smoke. My wife has asthma and can't handle much smoke.
Hoping somebody out that way can keep me informed on conditions, wind patterns, ect.

Very clear there now. A cousin of mine lives in Whitefish and he's a smokejumper/firefighter. I'll keep my ears open. It's super dry currently and they just called for no campfires.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
also here are some webcams in Whitefish (last one is in Glacier Park ~ 35 miles away).

https://skiwhitefish.com/webcams/

It was hazy between Kalispell/Whitefish the night after you posted this. But like someone else said - it can change day to day. The smoke can roll in from any direction - from many miles away.

http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/v...46816&autostart=true here's my cousin being interviewed about the recent fire danger...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all!
We are looking at all means of info and weighing our options.
In the end it will be SWMBO making the decision if we go or not. It's her health so she rules on it.

Based on what she is currently saying I am guessing we won't be able to go.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
It can all change her literally in a few hours.

We had weeks and weeks of 90+ to 100 degree weather. Yesterday we didn't hit 70 for a high. Cold front came down from Canada. It was 48 degs here last night.

Don't give up until a week or so out. By Sept we could have some rain, fires OUT and much cooler temps.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Currently, air quality just plan sucks. We have a number of fires burning around us and there is no relief in the forecast. Visibility is about 5 miles.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
For people not used to smokey environments I would recommend just staying away from the northwest right now. There are multiple fires in Wa, Id, Mt, Or and Canada, all contributing to the poor air quality. We broke the record for consecutive days of 90+ degrees and no rain for about a month and a half so it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Visibility is about 5 miles.
Mike

You've got 5 miles up there? I've had around 500 yards the past few days. Up to maybe two miles today.

And Jim is right. It is going to get worse. High winds are supposed to be coming tonight and tomorrow and that should make things interesting. We were doing OK until the jet stream shifted and that fire up by Eureka started. Pushed everything right down to us.

Good thing about the smoke though is it's not as hot as it has been. 7+ weeks in the high 90s and low 100s here without a drop of rain. Last night we finally got a little sprinkle and I wasn't quite sure what it was. Big Grin

Posts: 20080 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post