SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Classic vehicle with no title
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic vehicle with no title Login/Join 
Picture of }BuLL
posted
I purchased an old ('47) pickup, and am leaning towards restoring it instead of just using for parts. The previous owner never had the title either, and sold it to me with a bill of sale. (Which may be worthless, because according to the state he isn't the owner)

As I understand it, in order to file for a Title 42, you have to provide documentation to the DMV that you have incurred expenses (storage fees, or work done) and the "owner" never paid. Can I file for a Title 42 as an individual?

I googled Title 42 help, and the companies that do this for $200+ kind of raised my scam warning flag. Can they be trusted?

Any other advise on getting the title in my name?

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Can you find out who the last titled owner was from the DMV and contact them about getting a replacement tittle?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Long shot, but may be worth a try. I was told it came from a bordering state, but discovered an old OK tag in the back from 1982.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Around here all you have to do is get a form from the DMV and have any law enforcement person verify the VIN#, year, etc....

Just went through it with an old motorcycle that I bought. Title that came with it had a different year and VIN than the actual bike so it technically didn't have a title of its own.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Process varies by state. Talk to the DMV registration ladies in your town. A dozen donuts or chocolate cream pies grease the wheels here.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
All depends on the state. I bought an old jeep in ME and all I needed to register was a bill of sale. Titles were only required if the vehicle is 1995 or newer (mine was an 1989 Grand Wagoneer).

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Around here all you have to do is get a form from the DMV and have any law enforcement person verify the VIN#, year, etc....

Similar here in Missouri.

You get the DMV form, have a sheriff come out and run the VIN and fill out his section of the paperwork.

If the vehicle is stolen, they will impound it.

If it is not, you type of a letter saying that you're owed money for storage and that the owner has a set amount of time to come pay you and take the vehicle. If the letter is returned (you're sending to the address that comes up when they run the VIN, so it's usually no longer any good), or the previous owner does not respond, you take a copy of your certified letter along with the form back to the DMV and apply for a title.

In Missouri the title will come back as an Abandoned title. If you end up wanting to license the vehicle I believe you then need a Highway Patrol inspection (looking for stolen cars or parts) to convert it over to a regular title/previously abandoned.

Call your DMV and ask. They'll know the process in your state.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would contact a local title agency instead. They deal with this situation ALL of the time and the small amount of money you pay them to handle getting a new title is usually money well spent.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'm not a lawyer but in OK as I understand it a title 42 is the legitimate and legal way to go, by state statute it's the legal remedy.

I know two people who needed a fresh title. One of them told me that you either have to go in front of the judge to get his ok on it then you take that auth to the tag agent. The other way is to hire someone who specializes in this and will make it happen quickly and smoothly. For example I was told that in Cleveland county the court only offers this once or twice a month and you have to take a day off to wait in court. The advantage is the rep you hire does this all the time and knows what to do, does it right, no problems or issues. Somehow the rep you hire gets it done in a matter of days, much quicker than you could. Yes you can do it your self, but to quote member JALLEN, nothing beats knowing what you are doing.

What county are you in?

My friend told me there are a number of Craigslist ads for this and they should all be legitimate but do your due diligence.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
OK has a "rebuilt" title process.

You have a BoS, take that and go to the tax office once you have filled out the paperwork.

https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/701-6.pdf

https://www.dmv.org/ok-oklahom...Your-Car-in-Oklahoma

You will need to get it inspected first.
https://www.dmv.org/ok-oklahom...aged-Car-Inspections

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've registered custom bikes/choppers in Colorado a few times and it's pretty easy. Examples include a custom frame from the 2000s, a motor and tyranny from the 80s, etc, and as long as you have receipts and all of the requisite safety measures (signals, etc) it goes well. Here we tow the finished bike to a special State Police inspection office. Takes an hour or so.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not a lawyer but in OK as I understand it a title 42 is the legitimate and legal way to go, by state statute it's the legal remedy.

I know two people who needed a fresh title. One of them told me that you either have to go in front of the judge to get his ok on it then you take that auth to the tag agent. The other way is to hire someone who specializes in this and will make it happen quickly and smoothly. For example I was told that in Cleveland county the court only offers this once or twice a month and you have to take a day off to wait in court. The advantage is the rep you hire does this all the time and knows what to do, does it right, no problems or issues. Somehow the rep you hire gets it done in a matter of days, much quicker than you could. Yes you can do it your self, but to quote member JALLEN, nothing beats knowing what you are doing.

What county are you in?

My friend told me there are a number of Craigslist ads for this and they should all be legitimate but do your due diligence.
I am in Oklahoma county.
Thank you all for the info, I will talk with the local tag office, and have them do an owner lookup, and proceed from there.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by }BuLL:
quote:

What county are you in?

I am in Oklahoma county.
Thank you all for the info, I will talk with the local tag office, and have them do an owner lookup, and proceed from there.

Well then, howdy neighbor. Lake Hefner here.

Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Greetings! My guess would have been Gene Sears, wrong again, ha.

A group of misfits is going to meet at Half Time just outside of Mustang ~11:30 Saturday, and then head over to Big Boys for some range therapy. Welcome to join!

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I cant make it this time, but a get together sounds great. Big Boys is a very good facility and people.