SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some eye candy for woodturners....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some eye candy for woodturners.... Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
turning_gal made this one, it is made from a Holly tree with 4 different alcohol dyes applied. The top is made from Florida Eucalyptus with turquoise powder mixed with epoxy to fill some cracking.

Mine is made from the Buckeye tree, if you are from Michigan its Horse Chestnut. The top is made from a piece of Holly turned 98% with a bowl gouge. There is a huge void on the other side but I used shrink wrap to hold the vase together and and stop the chips from flying out.

Enjoy

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Nice work not easily done.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Oh they are beautiful to see. I never heard of a holly tree. You can see right through the void in the 2nd vase.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are absolutely stunning!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Both is those look awesome. I have been turning for about 3 years and absolutely love it. One day I might get to your level but far from that now.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I could watch that stuff on Youtube for hours. And I have...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Great work. Beautiful. Takes a skilled person to make a piece of art like those.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I could watch that stuff on Youtube for hours. And I have...

Me, too! I like the movie where the craftsman turned a huge and ugly bole into a huge and beautiful bowl.

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post