SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought an F-18 (1/5 of one anyway) RC Turbine (Update 11/7 Page 4)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an F-18 (1/5 of one anyway) RC Turbine (Update 11/7 Page 4) Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Enjoy.

It is a sickness you know! No known cure! Big Grin

"You can tell the age of the boy..."

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Whoah!

You mean I could fly my own A10 WartHog!

Hellyeah...

Link

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
^ Those Freewing A-10's are great flying electrics. Motion is an excellent company to deal with.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
That is really cool. Great choice on the paint scheme.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Rhino: No FPV, these are all old school.
Dude, someone needs to make that happen. Then it would really seem like flying!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone asked what turbine waiver means.

A little background is needed. All responsible R/C flyers are also members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics. The AMA is many things but it also provides insurance coverage so long as you follow their safety rules. The AMA rules prohibit the use of gas turbine engines. At the same time, they provide an avenue for the use of said engines through a waiver process which "waives" this prohibition. The idea of the waiver process is to make sure that the individual is a competent pilot who thoroughly understands the operation of turbine engines and can safely fly fast aircraft.

It's kind of an over simplified explanation but that the gist of it.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
So cool! Congrats!

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
When my daughter was getting her Masters degree at Ball State in Muncie , IN. I had the opportunity to spend an afternoon at the AMA offices and museum there. It was pretty cool.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get myself it SOOOOO much trouble with one of those.... Big Grin

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very cool.
I've wanted to get into R/C A/C for a long time.

Closest I got was being part of a AIAA DBF (design, build, fly) team in 2005 in college. As a freshman, I was manual labor, and got to play with the R/C simulator we had for our pilot to practice while we built the plane.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I was thinking the same thing!!

"There I was, 10 feet off the deck at full military. At this speed every house on the block is a blur."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Killer hobby. I watch from a distance as I can't even fly a kite. Love jets though. F18 is one I've seen flying on youtube and it might be as good as toys get.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Missed the waiver question, but Steve covered it Smile

quote:

The crashes are 1/5 scale too Razz

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Very cool.
I've wanted to get into R/C A/C for a long time.

Closest I got was being part of a AIAA DBF (design, build, fly) team in 2005 in college. As a freshman, I was manual labor, and got to play with the R/C simulator we had for our pilot to practice while we built the plane.

Everything including the sims has gotten better and better. Electrics especially. You can get EPO foam electric warbirds and jets that look great and have all the bells and whistles (lights/restracts/flaps/etc.) for comparably little money. They can be put together in a couple hours if that. The site listed earlier MotionRC is absolutely my go to for electrics. I wouldn't jump right in to EDF jets but there are nice flying prop electric that are lot of fun that you can cut your teeth on. I went from electric warbirds to EDF's to turbines.

My first/trainer Turbine was a foam T-33 reinforced with carbon/balsa. I know it sounds odd but they are solid birds.

Both of these are foam electrics. They fly great.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I know I would crash it. I had a Phantom 3 that I flew like I stole it every time it went skids up. Full speed 2 feet over the water, down a "star wars canyon" of trees, rapid decent to landing - I was convinced I would either crash it or at some point I would wear it out to the point it just fell apart - in the end getting distracted for 2 seconds while swooping down on a dock got me and I flew it into the water. We recovered and repaired it for little money and it was sooo worth it.

I'm sure doing that to an RC F-18 would be far more costly, but a hell of a lot of fun. Wink

Enjoy it, and I hope you post photos / videos when you finally get it!

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know I would crash it. I had a Phantom 3 that I flew like I stole it every time it went skids up. Full speed 2 feet over the water, down a "star wars canyon" of trees, rapid decent to landing - I was convinced I would either crash it or at some point I would wear it out to the point it just fell apart - in the end getting distracted for 2 seconds while swooping down on a dock got me and I flew it into the water. We recovered and repaired it for little money and it was sooo worth it.

I'm sure doing that to an RC F-18 would be far more costly, but a hell of a lot of fun. Wink

Enjoy it, and I hope you post photos / videos when you finally get it!

The turbines are definitely more explodey Big Grin

I love ripping drones around, I understand what you mean haha.

If you ever want to try RC planes check out the EPO birds like I posted about above. That specific type of foam if you drill it into the dirt can generally be glued back together pretty easily and if not you aren't out thousands.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/TYvrYg7SCLM

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
This may be an utterly silly question, but when that model took off, it looked for all the world like it had afterburners going. Is that just the glow from a tiny turbine section, or are there lights int the nozzle to give the effect. (Like I said, probably a dumb question, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around a turbine that small. LOL)

Just out of curiosity, how fast do those engines turn?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
This may be an utterly silly question, but when that model took off, it looked for all the world like it had afterburners going. Is that just the glow from a tiny turbine section, or are there lights int the nozzle to give the effect. (Like I said, probably a dumb question, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around a turbine that small. LOL)

Just out of curiosity, how fast do those engines turn?

Not silly at all. They are tiny LED's, pretty convincing!

The smaller turbines idle around 50k and go to 155k

The bigger one going in this jet will idle at about 33k and go to 98k

posted Hide Post
Looks sweet. They do an r/c air show at the air field at our state park by me and I've watched a few times as they zip through the air. It's truly insane how fast they fly. I also have some videos, but it was hard to track the darn things. Very impressive, both the gear and the piloting.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is wicked awesome. Great choice of paint scheme as well. The scale and performance are near perfection. Looks like a real Hornet from take-off to taxi.

Posts: 548 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post