SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought an F-18 (1/5 of one anyway) RC Turbine (Update 11/7 Page 4)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an F-18 (1/5 of one anyway) RC Turbine (Update 11/7 Page 4) Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
The guns have taken a back seat lately to one I my other hobbies, RC jets. I never thought I would get into turbine jets in the first place but well...here we are. After getting my turbine waiver I've been scheming to get a big jet. Put a deposit on my F-18 today. In 5 months I should have her! I'm excited, thought some of you would be interested. I sent several pictures/drawings of the paint for mine so they can work it up. Chose a Navy 100th Anniversary scheme from VFC-12 modeled after a Grumman Hellcat. Went with a set up for a single big turbine split behind rather than two smaller ones for ease of use. It's pretty amazing how far these small jet engines have come and the power you can have on tap.

To give an idea of the size, here's another jet with it's CG being set up:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey!
Hold my beer!
Picture of rkight3
posted Hide Post
Love it!

What's the weight, and how much thrust will the turbine put out?

Posts: 2395 | Location: Western Kentucky. | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkight3:
Love it!

What's the weight, and how much thrust will the turbine put out?

Dry about 52 pounds. The turbine should put out 66-67 pounds Smile

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is incredibly cool!

Do I dare even ask? $$$$

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Great choice on the airplane type and model! Wink

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
So cool, I am in awe, had a chance to watch turbine RC being flown at Marcum Park in Florida four years ago. Suppose you will need a trailer to transport that bad boy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
So cool, I am in awe, had a chance to watch turbine RC being flown at Marcum Park in Florida four years ago. Suppose you will need a trailer to transport that bad boy.

I've seen the same guy flying at Markham park. It's incredible to watch and hear and they do have a really nice RC airport there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s totally BA. I’ve been into RC for years and love watching and listening to the jets.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Have they gone to some sort of forward facing first person cockpit video camera link in the plane to fly it?

Or do you still have to look at the plane and figure out which way to turn it?

Very cool BTW. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
That is pretty awesome. What an absolute blast that must be to fly.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Have they gone to some sort of forward facing first person cockpit video camera link in the plane to fly it?

Or do you still have to look at the plane and figure out which way to turn it?

Very cool BTW. Wink

That'd be way cool. Like the FPV drone races I've seen.

Now to just mount the guns on it! Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
That'd be way cool. Like the FPV drone races I've seen.
Yeah, FPV flying is awesome - the family has a couple of Phantom 3 drones and I fly them like I stole them, just looking at the video and map!

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats! Smile

Now you will need to order a tanker aircraft for it. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need a MIG to dogfight with! Big Grin

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That is beyond cool. Big kids get bad ass toys. I've seen a few vids of the jets flying. That is so different from my Cox fuel P51.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
That is incredibly cool!

Do I dare even ask? $$$$

That was my thought exactly. I an guessing this makes playing in the Class 3 crowd look cheap by comparison?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a max speed limit? Thrust to weight will make it pretty damn fast!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also an R/C turbine jet pilot (lots of other plane types as well). Current inventory:

1/6th scale Grumman Cougar, Jetcat P-160 engine.
1/6th scale Grumman Panther, Jetcat P-120 engine.
BVM F-86, Jetcat P-70 engine.
92" wingspan Fei Bao Dolphin sport jet, Jetcat P-160 engine
70" wingspan Aviation Design Scorpion sport jet, Kingtech K-160 engine.
70" wingspan Sebart Avanti XS sport jet, Kingtech K-85 engine.
Sebart Mini Avanti. Kingtech K-45G3 engine on order.

And several other kits not started yet.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
That is incredibly cool!

Do I dare even ask? $$$$

That was my thought exactly. I an guessing this makes playing in the Class 3 crowd look cheap by comparison?

It's not quite that bad Wink Mac 11 territory maybe

Rhino: No FPV, these are all old school.

Vanwall: Most fields put a cap at 200mph from what I've seen.

Steve: Thats an excellent collection, you have some awesome flying planes!

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
After getting my turbine waiver

What does this mean?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post