SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Networking Question: Best Powerline Network Adaptors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Networking Question: Best Powerline Network Adaptors? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Got some family friends that recently sold their house and moved into a condo. The Comcast cablemodem is in the living room, which is suboptimal for the computer location. They want to move it into a bedroom.

I was going to suggest she take it to whomever she has service her computer and install a WiFi card, but then I thought "Hmmm... Powerline adaptor?"

So what says the SF Oracle: WiFi or Powerline? I would think Powerline would be easier, because she'd just move the computer, plug it in, and it'd be up--with no configuration?

But I don't know diddly about Powerline network adaptors.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've ordered the Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapters on Monday.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
There are several good ones, but I think it boils down to how compatible the wiring in your home is as far as how well they'll work.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that Comcast cablemodem includes wifi, I'd just plug a Netgear USB dongle in to the PC and go.

We've been using a Netgear A6100 Genie and it isn't much more difficult than plugging a cable in (and works great across the length of our house).

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I chose the TP link brand adapters and they have been fantastic. The adapters have 3 Ethernet ports so you have the ability to connect more than one device to them. You can also buy more adapters separately and add them any any future devices, if you so choose. I have one in the living room as the source which feeds the two devices upstairs. I plan on buying another one soon to connect the family pc.

Their speeds are higher than the 802.11AC at the same distance, so that's all that matters.

Super easy to setup (press the pairing button on each) and they are on separate circuits, but I haven't noticed any issues.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A nice compromise if you don't know how to properly configure conventional networking methods.
Not something I'd use but has a place for convenience.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
A nice compromise if you don't know how to properly configure conventional networking methods.
Not something I'd use but has a place for convenience.

No, it's not something I'd normally use, either. But these aren't power users. There's no way they're running UTP cable. They're running MS-Win10, which I've never touched, and for which I don't care to become tech support. So, if powerline network adapters will work for them... I think it'd be easier than WiFi. Probably cheaper, too, since they'd have to pay somebody to install a WiFi adapter.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably cheaper, too, since they'd have to pay somebody to install a WiFi adapter.

Not really. USB wireless adapters start under fifteen bucks, and just need to be stuck into the port.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
my first and only thought on powerline is, "no thanks."

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Unless they're set on watching cable, set up a Wi-Fi and buy a Roku (unless the tv can already get Netflix, HBO Streaming, and allow additional channels to be loaded like fox news, Hulu, sky news, etc.)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used them for years. AT&T installed them when they installed my DSL. AT&T upgraded them when fiber was installed last year. Faster than wireless & necessary for my 3 story townhome with steel beams. It is about a 100ft run from the modem in my office to my wife's computer on the 3rd floor. Speed only drops to 500mb from 1 gig at my computer, 3ft from the modem (AT&T's test).
This is what they installed:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/pro..._TL-PA9020P-KIT.html

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
There may be some security issues with those etc. I've used them before, but I'm not up on any security they may or may not have. The ones I used had some type of security feature, but I remember not being very impressed. I would look into the security aspect of it if I were going to use them again.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK my bodged together Netgear AV Ethernet adapters came in.
They work perfectly for what I need.
I have a computer and camera too far away got a WIFI router and these things just work.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post