SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Son's Ka-Bar (USMC related and updated to an old post)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Son's Ka-Bar (USMC related and updated to an old post) Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
This is a follow up to a gift my son received from a mutual friend. My son, who starts high school this year, has become friends with a former Marine, and Viet Nam vet. For my son's 14th birthday, our friend gave him his Ka-Bar that he carried in Viet Nam. My son wants to become a Marine in the future, so the meaning behind this gift is more than I can put into words.

I finally got around to getting a shadowbox, and although it's not finished, it is turning out pretty nice. I've spoken with our friend, and asked for his suggestions. The shadowbox was a pain. I bought it thinking it would be the perfect size, but the depth of the knife handle didn't want to cooperate, so I had to cut the back out around the handle so it would "drop" in place. I used copper wire for some reinforcement, and thought over time, it should (hopefully) age well. Everything is just kind of laying in the box so I can move it around, but once I get everything secured, it will be pretty permanent.

I'll post up another pic when it's completed, I still have a few ideas, but still looking for some small details, mainly E4 chevrons. I can't seem to find mine. And the RVN medal will not be on a white background, I am making a backing so it will hang directly to the felt.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Oooorah!

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Well done!

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I can help you out with the chevrons. My email is in my profile, all I need is a address to send them.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still have a few ideas, but still looking for some small details, mainly E4 chevrons.

Maybe you are already considering, but instead of using the cloth chevrons, instead use the metal collar rank insignia. The box would appear less cluttered that way.

These:

Instead of these:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Definitely using medal chevrons. I just can't find mine, moved around a lot, and things turned up missing. I told my buddy I'd just promote him to Sgt.

I have a pic of when I took out our friend shooting an M1 Garand for the first time. I might add that. He has since been in a Memorial Day service, and he had to use an M1 Garand. You can teach an Old Devil Dog new tricks. Big Grin

It's a work in progress.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
It's very cool, nice work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That is well on its way to becoming a good looking display, as well as a fine tribute to the man who gifted the Ka-Bar.

Semper Fi!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
I can help you out with the chevrons. My email is in my profile, all I need is a address to send them.

I have both collar (metal and plastic) and cloth for the sleeves for all.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
SSgt, let me look one more time. My kids go through my stuff, LOL.

I'll let you know, but Thank You for the offer.

Semper Fi,
Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great, and is a wonderful tribute to your friend. My only suggestion is to make it possible to easily remove the knife. I think display is certainly appropriate, but I'd want to take it out and handle it from time to time.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 1563 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I like it. A lot.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Definitely nurture that relationship! One of my best friends is a 70 year old retired marine. We go to lunch 2x a month, he's helped me with some incredibly difficult times in my life, and I think I'm like a son to him (both his aren't into shooting, and life half the country away)

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember that thread. Great job so far. I'm sure it weill turn out excellent. That's a real tribute to your friend that your son will be glad to own.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have both collar (metal and plastic) and cloth for the sleeves for all.

PM sent SSgt.

OOHRAH!!!

HonestLou, right now I'm just trying to put it together. If I want it to be a wall mount, I'll probably leave it secured the way it is. If it's a leaning or table display, I will make it so it can be removed.

-----------------
I apologize now...