SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYC Muscians: I need a bit of help and advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC Muscians: I need a bit of help and advice Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Specifically, I need a trusted luthier to examine a guitar.

A month ago, I sold a decent bass to a guy in NYC. He claims there are problems with the neck and has attempted ministration under his own hand.

Now I know the condition when the guitar left my hands, but I have no idea of his skills and capabilities. He wants to return the bass for a refund. I think I need someone in NYC to examine the issues and give me an opinion.

Seems that Sadowsky has a shop there and several others that might be of help.

Can you help me find someone to evaluate the bass?

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Did you sell it with a warranty or as-is? How long did he have it? Did he modified it in any way with his amateur work?

Basically, he can go piss up a rope.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
While I agree with your assessment, after a month, I am tempted to tell him the same. However, I am trying to be a good guy here, but nearing my limits.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally understand you wanting to be a good guy, but if he has attempted any repairs on it I would not even consider refunds.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Attempting to be a good guy is often just a misguided direction.
As soon as you are sucked into getting "evaluations" it establishes an assumption that there is a reason for the evaluation, and that maybe there is something you should be responsible for.
But I have bought a lot of guitars, and when you buy used the assumption is always "as is" and "buyer beware", unless it came with an expressed guarantee or it was bought from a store that gave a guarantee.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
No good deed goes unpunished.

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Lemme guess...He messed with the truss rod without knowing anything about adjusting a truss rod, broke it, & wants you to eat his mistake. I'd tell him to kick rocks.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
ask him what he did

but he's on the hook for it, not you

lots of places in NYC

Guitartech on W14th or TR Crandall on E 3rd

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
“As is”

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I don't know much of anything about musical instruments, but I do sell a lot of expensive vintage car parts. If the buyer modified the part in ANY way without discussing the issue with me first, there is NO refund. Period. I would think any buyer can understand that policy.

Did he talk to you first and you agreed to let him make modifications? If not, I'd have to say he made the mistake in this situation. I imagine the buyer will understand you are not Dillon Precision Products, Inc.....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above posters If the guy attempted an ameteur repair, he gets to keep it. A new truss rod will cost you plenty to have installed by a trained pro, let alone a neck. He should have contacted you immediately.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Evan Gluck is outstanding, maybe the best in town.

https://www.newyorkguitarrepair.com

And I've heard good things about Matt at 30th St Guitars (which is now on 27th street).

http://www.30thstreetguitars.com

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Having absolutely no knowledge on the subject whatsoever, methinks that if he tried to fiddle with it before and without asking you, that sale became final, irreversible.

Just my uneducated opinion.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Lemme guess...He messed with the truss rod without knowing anything about adjusting a truss rod, broke it, & wants you to eat his mistake. I'd tell him to kick rocks.

Well, he messed with the truss rod O.K. Didn't break it, at least has not admited to that so far.

I claimed there was a slight warp that he want to correct then said the rod was seized.

I sent him the bad news this morning. Awaiting his explosion.

Thanks, all.

RMD

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
If the buyer paid via PayPal, you're probably SOL. PayPal gives them SIX MONTHS to return the item and always sides with the buyer, never the seller. I buy and sell a lot of musical gear on eBay and Reverb. When a buyer opens a case, PayPal yanks that cash out of my account as fast as they can send me an email letting me know. I've never gotten totally screwed, but have had a few close calls. I'd just take the bass back for a refund minus shipping. That's what's going to happen anyway, if it's PayPal and the buyer wants out. Might as well save yourself the legwork of all the back and forth.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sadowsky sounds expensive. But you'd get a definitive opinion.

I hate the uncertainty of selling instruments without the buyer playing/handling them. Big shops do it all the time, though.

A banjo I sold on the internet got delivered with a broken neck but the guy said it was no big deal, he just wanted parts off the instrument. And an 1860s fiddle was mailed to a guy who does complete restorations on Pre-War Martin guitars. He loved it, but it went cheap - $220.

If it is a one-way rod the guy may be adjusting the wrong direction. I'm not sure a truss rod would seize that easily but the threads can bottom out. I've cranked some 50-year old rods which have never been touched and they still worked.

The adjustable truss rod was invented by a Gibson employee, Thaddeus McHugh, and patented in 1921. This invention made it possible to straighten a minor neck curve with the twist of a nut. This first truss rod was a 1 /8″ steel rod that had one threaded end with a nut installed.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The only less than positive eBay feedback I ever got was on a guitar sale. I described it perfectly, buyer emailed to complain. I was on a business trip on my bike, so I wrote back I'd deal with it two days later when back home and we'd work something out. By then he left me neutral feedback with the comment, "Item as described, but not as expected." WTF?

Posts: 3534 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post