SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Threats to congressional lawmakers going unprosecuted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Threats to congressional lawmakers going unprosecuted Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...t-voicemail-n2345166

Rep. Jason Chaffetz shared a death threat he received with Fox News Thursday in which a man left a voicemail on his office phone saying he was going to “hang [Chaffetz] from a lamppost.”

"Hey Jason Chaffetz—I suggest you prepare for the battle, motherf***er, and the apocalypse," the man yelled. "Because we are going to hunt your ass down, wrap a rope around your neck, and hang you from a lamppost!"

audio at link

While the caller has since been arrested (only because he left two messages), Chaffetz explained that lawmakers deal with threats like these regularly without prosecution. He recalled another time someone threatened to slit his throat.

In the wake of GOP lawmakers coming under attack in Alexandria, Virginia during a practice for the congressional baseball game, the Utah Republican said more needs to be done to protect lawmakers.

"I've got stacks and mounds of written threats that people put their names to, send us emails, but again they don't get prosecuted," he said. "There's gotta be a way to better protect members of Congress."

why shouldn't people who threaten to kill lawmakers get prosecuted ?

BTW Chaffetz to leave congress on 30 June 2017

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
"There's gotta be a way to better protect members of Congress."

Post the text of the threat, their names, and addresses in a public forum. Surely somebody will take care of it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Political speech likely protected by the First Amendment.

Now, if there is evidence of an act to carry out the threat, contemporaneous or after the threat is communicated, then you've got something.

We have expressions proposing violence to various office holders and seekers routinely here, so far merely blowing off steam and frustration.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Why shouldn't people who threaten to kill citizens get prosecuted? No special laws or treatment for Congressional Critters.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I think it was Rep. Mia Love, also from Utah, who had someone driving by her house taking pictures of her kids or something.

When youre in the spotlight, its crazies on both sides - lovers and haters - who contact you, stalk you, threaten you, etc.

Unfortunately it doesnt really surprise me that few get prosecuted though...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Why shouldn't people who threaten to kill citizens get prosecuted? No special laws or treatment for Congressional Critters.

^Word. Now I can see them pushing a bill so that any Con-gress Critter can request a taxpayer funded 24/7 security detail. But the vast unwashed have to get around DC on their own.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is illegal to threaten anyone with violence. That is not "political speech." Quite often, those threatening private citizens are prosecuted. The problem is, those threatening Congress are often NOT prosecuted, or even investigated, unless it's a repeat offense. Congressmen should not get special privilege, neither should they get LESS than a private citizen.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Threats of Violence Against Individuals.—The Supreme Court has cited three “reasons why threats of violence are outside the First Amendment”: “protecting individuals from the fear of violence, from the disruption that fear engenders, and from the possibility that the threatened violence will occur.”980 In Watts v. United States, however, the Court held that only “true” threats are outside the First Amendment.981 The defendant in Watts, at a public rally at which he was expressing his opposition to the military draft, said, “If they ever make me carry a rifle, the first man I want to get in my sights is L.B.J.”982 He was convicted of violating a federal statute that prohibited “any threat to take the life of or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States.” The Supreme Court reversed. Interpreting the statute “with the commands of the First Amendment clearly in mind,”983 it found that the defendant had not made a “true ‘threat,”’ but had indulged in mere “political hyperbole.”984

In NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware Co., white merchants in Claiborne County, Mississippi, sued the NAACP to recover losses caused by a boycott by black citizens of their businesses, and to enjoin future boycott activity.985 During the course of the boycott, NAACP Field Secretary Charles Evers had told an audience of “black people that any ‘uncle toms’ who broke the boycott would ‘have their necks broken’ by their own people.”986 The Court acknowledged that this language “might have been understood as inviting an unlawful form of discipline or, at least, as intending to create a fear of violence ....”987 Yet, no violence had followed directly from Evers’ speeches, and the Court found that Evers’ “emotionally charged rhetoric . . . did not transcend the bounds of protected speech set forth in Brandenburg… An advocate must be free to stimulate his audience with spontaneous and emotional appeals for unity and action in a common cause. When such appeals do not incite lawless action, they must be regarded as protected speech.”988 While holding that, under Bradenburg, Evers’ speech did not constitute unprotected incitement of lawless action,989 the Court also cited Watts, thereby implying that Evers’ speech also did not constitute a “true threat.”990

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should do a FOIA and post the names and addresses of these constitutionally protected people on the internet. Nothing illegal about that.

I personally don't give a rats ass about what SCOTUS ruled. It is only enforced when it is threats against those not in a protected class. If it were threats against Polosi we'd be hearing all kinds of shit in the MSM about violent alt-right terrorists. Funny that both the cases "protected" were lefty causes, and the lefties threatening violence. As usual.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post