SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are cars not made to order?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are cars not made to order? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The cars are all ordered by the sales manager. For example I worked at a new lincoln mercury dealership. It didn't matter what car/truck it was, if he ordered black, it was always with a tan interior. NEVER ever did he order black on black.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I almost always special order our cars. Ram trucks take about 6-7 weeks, German BMW's about 10 weeks, and Mini Coopers 7-8. I get exactly what I want and nothing we don't. I don't think we realize any significant savings, but it doesn't cost more.

When we order the BMW's pick them up in Munich, which saves an additional 8% off whatever discounts we were able to negotiate. We've done this 12 or 13 times; next is Fall '17.

aileron

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You can order,large clients do this all the time.
I worked for assembly plant in Hapeville Ga from 1963 till 1970.
We ran special cars for Alabama hwy patrol ,constant stream running down the line,taxi fleet in Miami Holman moody racing was another.
Special ,anyway the customer specified at fleet prices
We could also do one for ourselves with none or all the do dads
That was called Red Ball and extra care in every way on one of ours.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Some are:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...530090914#6530090914

Maybach, too, IIRC.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a factory order on my Mustang. I still have the order sheet for it with all the codes for the options. Smile

I went to a few Ford dealers and few were willing to let me do it, they wanted me to settle for what they had.

You can't get individual options but you can choose packages.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
When I can afford one of these, I'll special order it with EXACTLY what I want on it:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I ordered an Escape from Ford last Monday.
They say it's a 6-8 week wait.

This will be my third order car.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had given up hoping to find what I wanted on a dealers lot.

I talked to a salesman who is now retired and told him what I wanted in a Pickup. He said let me check area before we order it. My exact vehicle was in stock in state, but I would of never found it as part of my research. Who would think to check a dealer n the middle of no where.
It was delivered by transport 3 days later.

I also spec'd a 2nd vehicle. My salesman found an exact Mach 600 miles away. It was brought to area on a transport 2 days later.

If u can wait definitely do a special order to get exactly what you want.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 617 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knighthawk:
I had given up hoping to find what I wanted on a dealers lot.

I talked to a salesman who is now retired and told him what I wanted in a Pickup. He said let me check area before we order it. My exact vehicle was in stock in state, but I would of never found it as part of my research. Who would think to check a dealer n the middle of no where.
It was delivered by transport 3 days later.

I also spec'd a 2nd vehicle. My salesman found an exact Mach 600 miles away. It was brought to area on a transport 2 days later.

If u can wait definitely do a special order to get exactly what you want.

I worked in a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer back around 2002 for about a year. Back then we could search the database as far as nationwide for a specific car with specific color/options. Sales Managers REALLY frowned on us doing that, and really wanted us to push something that was in our inventory or one of our 8 sister dealers. The manufacturer gives the car to the dealer for free for I think it was 60 days (or until it sold if it was prior to that), then after the 60 days the dealer either had to pay for it or pay 1% per month interest on it. Also if you pull it from another dealer, they have to call them and literally negotiate for the vehicle and argue over hold back and other stuff (some profit).

Unless you're looking for a really rare vehicle, or a strange set of options....you usually can find one at a dealer somewhere in the state. If you have the time though, ordering one that hasn't sat around, hasn't been sat in by 100 people, and test driven by 20 different people that had to floor your new car, is the way to go.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I'm no expert but ....you have to keep the assembly line going, supply chain etc.

if every car was custom they would be crazy expensive and take forever to produce.

You can order custom cars but you better have a faaaat wallet.

Yes, it helps supply chain and assembly line.

Supply chain maybe since most parts are outsourced. But it means nothing on the assembly line. The parts are there, each station installs their assigned parts according to option content.

The "packages" are just a way to get you to pay for shit you don't want.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want a front wheel drive suburban with sliding side rear doors, instead of hinged, and a tank filler door on each side.

and the rear door should either swing to the side or fall down like an end gate.

front and rear dash cams and gear shift on the column.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered my Wrangler from the factory and it took 3 weeks from order to delivery (this is unusually fast). I am replacing that soon with a Grand Cherokee that was ordered February 24th and it should be in this week. I'm too picky to settle for what some idiot procurement person orders for dealer inventory.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post