SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Welding Helmet Recommendation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welding Helmet Recommendation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have 2... One more expensive model with an automatic lens. One Huntsman light weight model with a good normal lens...

What I will do is sell you the good Miller helmet but I wouldn't part with my old cheaper Huntsman.... Smile

Maybe that tells you all you need to know Smile

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
3M Speedglass 9100 for occasional TIG, maybe an hour a week. No Stick or MIG.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I buy all my stuff from weldingsuppliesfromioc.com . They are a big supplier located in Indianapolis Indiana. They run specials all the time and you can sign up for email specials and loyalty points. They have the best prices on gas and air bottles I have ever found. Usually get free shipping. All my bottles have come from them. I've never had a problem taking them to a local supplier and trading them for refills on a exchange program. Just take the certification paperwork with me.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks !

Something else I have learned is true color lens ... seems like a good idea. Any thoughts ?

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Great info, thanks !

Something else I have learned is true color lens ... seems like a good idea. Any thoughts ?

I have used one in a demo situation. Can't remember if it was a Miller or another brand.

My thoughts were that it was very easy and natural to see what was going on. You could see the edges of the puddle a little brighter than with the others I have used.

I think it could be useful for a beginner, an experienced welder may not see too many advantages unless they are GTAW welding.

I haven't looked lately, what are some brands and prices of the true color lenses these days?

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:

I haven't looked lately, what are some brands and prices of the true color lenses these days?

Miller, Lincoln, Speedglas, ESAB, Yeswelder and others ... prices are all over the spectrum from about $75 to $400.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Great info, thanks !

I have used one in a demo situation. Can't remember if it was a Miller or another brand.

My thoughts were that it was very easy and natural to see what was going on. You could see the edges of the puddle a little brighter than with the others I have used.

I think it could be useful for a beginner, an experienced welder may not see too many advantages unless they are GTAW welding.

Sooner or later you get to the point where your hood gets so dirty you just can’t see shit but you’ve done it so much it comes out looking great anyway.. whenever I change my lenses out I feel like I have super man vision.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I keep reading the title of this thread as "Wedding Helmet" and thinkin' times must be tougher than I thought.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's best to wear a helmet when you're slammin wammen.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My primary and backup hat are both Speedglas. Not all auto dark filters are the same. If you are like me and need up close vision help make sure the helmet can take a diopter. If you intend to learn TIG you'll need a helmet that goes up to shade 12. 11 for stick. If just MIG 10 will be okay. Be careful with this because some of the inexpensive hats only come with shade 10. I personally run shade 11 for MIG because sometimes I get up above 18 volts and that's a little bright for me on shade 10. Its your eyes so I wouldn't cheap out on this one. I borrowed a Lincoln Viking helmet once and it was pretty good. Nice large viewing area.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I had to chuckle Para because I too just now thought the same about the Wedding Helmet ... and this was my post. Figured this thread was way down the pages and forgotten.

Ended up buying a Yeswelder LYG-M800H "welding" helmet. I got it for $61 and a few days later it was up to $80. View is 3.93x3.66", true color and 5~9/9~13 shade. Works well with wearing my glasses. Probably will not be doing TIG ... just MIG and Stick. The headgear is on the weak side so I also bought the Lincoln Viking headgear that swaps out.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justsigin:
I have 2... One more expensive model with an automatic lens. One Huntsman light weight model with a good normal lens...

What I will do is sell you the good Miller helmet but I wouldn't part with my old cheaper Huntsman.... Smile

Maybe that tells you all you need to know Smile

When you say “a good normal lens” do you mean non-darkening, ie it is always dark and you line up, then snap your head a bit to flip the hood down just prior to striking the arc? That’s what I learned on and they were great until a buddy introduced me to a cheap auto darkening hood. I sure like being able to see what I am doing...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Go try them all on at your local welding store. I have a miller digital infinity the wide glass is awesome, super clear and I have a diopter for it.
One thing I didnt like about it was the flip action it has a series of small knobby bumpy things so when you flip it closed you can feel them. I tried to take it back because I hated them so much but no returns.

I ended up grinding them off which made a huge difference. I also have a opteril it has a smaller lens area but a super smooth flip action it was my first auto and I just use it for my back up or for when people want to watch me weld. esab makes a very cool looking one but the face screen is not recessed so if you ever set it down on the lens it scratches easy. I bleed blue so miller is my brand I seem to go for before the rest. I mostly tig weld so being able to see clearly is a must.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some months ago I bought a Hobart helmet (the model of which now escapes me, price wise their more expensive models, and a good deal more than I see any of their current models). I'm struggling to see, I think I'm getting flashed more than I realize and that's part of the problem. What also hurts is a few weeks after I bought it, they dropped the price nearly 50%. Maybe they were phasing it out. In retrospect really wish I'd bought something else.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Some months ago I bought a Hobart helmet (the model of which now escapes me, price wise their more expensive models, and a good deal more than I see any of their current models). I'm struggling to see, I think I'm getting flashed more than I realize and that's part of the problem. What also hurts is a few weeks after I bought it, they dropped the price nearly 50%. Maybe they were phasing it out. In retrospect really wish I'd bought something else.

You don’t want harbor freight anything when it comes to welding. Especially a hood

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have a Jackson 10+ years old auto-darkening helmet and thought it was time to see how the new ones compare.
IOC had this Miller #281000 Digital Elite without the fancy paint job with free shipping for a little more than the used ones on eBay. Should be here Monday and I've got a good bit of TIG welding to do the next few weeks to try it out.
Also bought the 2.5 cheater lens since I use reading glasses anyway. Looks like the electronics have come a long ways since my older helmet.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Maybe someday down the road I will get a better name brand helmet, but for now feel the Yeswelder is a good, safe, beginner helmet.

Though some bling on the helmet would be fun, I did not like the designs commercially done. For now, just gonna add some stickers that show my personality (whatever little I have Smile )

Yesterday went to the eye doc since it has been three years. Got new prescriptions, one to include up close for reading and welding since both about the same distance.

At least I can wear glasses in the Yeswelder helmet, looking at diopters too.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Miller 281000 showed up today with the magnifiers and spare protective covers.
What a difference and not all that expensive. This part number is a Digital Elite and no fancy paint job and that's fine by me.
Very happy with this purchase.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Great. I ran an Elite for a few years and liked it.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I keep reading the title of this thread as "Wedding Helmet" and thinkin' times must be tougher than I thought.

Happy to hear I am not alone. My first thought was huh? My second thought: there are times a wedding helmet could be valuable.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post