SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Welding Helmet Recommendation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welding Helmet Recommendation Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
I will be learning how to weld with the future intent of hobby, small repairs and the fact I always wanted to learn.

I have nearly all the PPE needed with the exception of an auto darkening helmet. My research found many styles and prices. Hoping someone could recommend a helmet for a beginner and future hobbyist. Would like a helmet with good view port, something I can wear glasses inside and a decent price.

Thanks

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I have used a generic one I got free when I purchased my welder. It works fine but got to feeling I needed more. After some research I bought a miller Elite. Man what a difference. Much clearer field of vision, adjustable for different welding processes and grinding mode. It is set up to accept a cheater magnifying lens. I used to have to set up a light on the workpiece and remember to put on my reading glasses or I couldn't see the weld pool. Now I just weld. $250.00 might seem like alot to start but for me the benefits are well worth it. I wish I had done it alot sooner, my welds are much better now. Don't get hung up on brands. Miller, Lincoln, Esab and others all make good helmets and have good customer support.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
This will sound weird. I went to welding school for 2 years, very good school. Got certified on a couple open root plates, (40 years ago). My dad, who was a good welder, made me use a hand held mask. Forces you to learn to weld with one hand. Greatly improved my welding skills.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I remember growing up on a farm noticing guys welding who would not wear the helmet, but would just hold it up in front of their face when welding. Think at my age I would prefer to use both hands.

One of the helmets I was looking at is the Miller 251292. Looks like a good helmet and am still researching to learn more about it.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's unfortunate that that area is probably the only area that no one in Sigforum has expertise in.

If only we had someone here who is an... arcwelder.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have gotten a few good thoughts already, more than what I had before.

The other question I am looking into is size of the viewing area through the lens.

posted Hide Post
The handheld works, sort of, until you want to do TIG..... Smile

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
The handheld works, sort of, until you want to do TIG..... Smile

Agree with that ... ! Or until you are retired and your hands are not as steady as they used to be. Smile

posted Hide Post
I use a miller and have been very happy with it. The one I currently have is a digital elite but I've had a few others. One minor point to realize is that you need ongoing access to supplies for the helmet. So I would get one from your local welding supply company as my first choice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I use a miller and have been very happy with it. The one I currently have is a digital elite but I've had a few others. One minor point to realize is that you need ongoing access to supplies for the helmet. So I would get one from your local welding supply company as my first choice.

Interesting thought, and I am still learning, but what supplies would I need regarding the helmet that I can not get online ?

In the Pacific Northwest we have Central Welding Supply. Last week I stopped in, since it is nearby, regarding the helmet and I was treated as not worth their time as a newbie beginner. Not surprised, and no big deal to me really, as I have been around long enough in life to understand how sometimes the "big" pros look at the everyday homeowner guy like myself.

So far, I have learned the most by the everyday guy from their successes and mistakes.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've had a Miller Elite forever. Uses common batteries, just need the plastic lens protector changed occasionally.

Welding with one hand....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...um...sorry, but at 70, that's really funny.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but what supplies would I need regarding the helmet that I can not get online

You can of course probably get anything and everything you want online with a couple of days or more leadtime (depending on where you live and what). The consumables are really the plastic lens protectors. The wear items I have used are helmet head gear parts. This whole situation in total really depends on if you need to actually get the project done. If so a quick trip to the local supplier is a huge advantage (not just on the helmet but when you need plasma tips, or rollers, or wire or something else). People that do this for a living or course have spares of all that, but you might not want to do that and if you have a good local supplier it can help.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm not a pro but I've been welding on and off since on 1981 or so. I don't spend big bucks on helmets since they have to be replaced once in a while. My current one is the Lincoln Electric K3419-1. So far I like it. You should be able to pick one up for around $90. I have not tried using glasses with mine so I can't tell you how that is.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of 3M Speedglas welding helmets on oil & gas welders.

On one hand, welding is what they do for a living so it's either part of their hourly rate (many time the rate is welder + rig) or employer is paying. On the other hand, you only get one set of eyeballs so buy reputable so you don't arc flash burn (aka corneal flash burns) them.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Oh man... gotta wonder where my mind was at as I read the subject line as:

Wedding Helmet Recommendation

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Actually, a valid recommendation for some. Smile

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Still taking a serious look at the Miller 251292. And agree only one set of eyeballs. Read that prescription glasses work fine with the helmet. Miller is a good name so believe this helmet is of good quality/protection.

I am never in a hurry for anything, so if I need supplies of any sort I can wait till ordered on line, nothing I need will require me to run out that day to get it.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have an 1840 Lincoln. I consider it a minimal entry into the acceptable welding helmet category. I've had several roughly $100 cheapo auto darkening helmets, I had a friend loan me his high end helmet for a couple passes on a project. He ruined me. Being able to see is amazing.

I bought the 1840 after that. I believe I paid about $220 or so. It feels like the lowest priced acceptable helmet. My welds got a LOT better after that.

Other people probably have better advice. I like my lincoln though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that the cost isn't higher. I came in expecting $500+ recommendations.
Minimal welding experience here, just a few assists with stuff for the ranch, so nothing that needed to be really structurally strong. So no realy practical input.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I weld for a “living” And I use a Miller Elite. Most guys I work with do as well. It’s a great hood. There are better and more fancy ones but the elite seems to be the standard. The lenses are everywhere and cheap. If you get something like an esab the lenses are expensive. If you’re just gonna dick around your garage you can swing by with a low end Miller or Lincoln. I wouldn’t stress about it. I welded for years with a cheap ass good I got at tractor supply so it’s not a huge deal

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All decent recommendations here so far.

3M Speedglas are extremely durable and light but are expensive.

I would recommend the helmet below for a beginner if you don't want to spend to much ($115).

It is a very durable model (we issue them to new welders).

https://store.cyberweld.com/jaweheblinau.html

If you want to spend more, I would look for the biggest lens size you can get, helps with learning as you can see better.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post