SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman Torches SUV with Flamethrower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman Torches SUV with Flamethrower Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
This happened not far from where I live and has gotten a lot of media attention.

The local rag recently got some more details and published a follow-up story. This lady is really going through some contortions trying to explain away why she torched her car. Razz

http://www.dailyherald.com/new...was-a-freak-accident

Reports: Barrington woman said torching SUV was a 'freak accident'
Bob Susnjara

A Barrington woman accused of using a flamethrower to torch her SUV in November told police she bought the device as a gift for her father and was assembling it when it accidentally went off, according to police documents obtained by the Daily Herald.

The reports obtained through an open record request shed additional light on the arrest of Julie Gagne on arson, disorderly conduct and filing a false report charges stemming from the Nov. 10 fire and subsequent claim that the vehicle had been stolen.

Gagne, 47, of the 500 block of South Summit Street, garnered national attention after the torching of her 2016 Infiniti QX70, but defense attorney Sam Amirante said he expects her to be exonerated, possibly even before the unusual case goes to trial.

He described Gagne as a good woman with no criminal history.

"I will tell you she is very personally upset over the whole matter," Amirante said. "And very upset, very scared over the whole matter. She's not at all familiar with the criminal justice system, and I think she's just really a victim of some really strange circumstances."

Barrington police said Gagne used the flamethrower to set her SUV ablaze about 10:30 p.m. Nov. 10 in an office center parking lot on the 1500 block of South Grove Avenue, near Dundee Road. The Infiniti SUV, which has a sticker price of about $48,000, was registered in her name, police said.

An investigation found Gagne used an X15 Flamethrower manufactured by Ohio-based XMatter to torch the SUV, according to police. They said the $1,600 device -- purchased online and legal to own in Illinois -- uses a mix of about 3 gallons of fuel and napalm to throw flames as far as 50 feet.

Gagne told investigators she drove into the lot across the street from Barrington's post office because she wanted to assemble the flamethrower and have it ready to present to her father the next day, according to police reports. She reportedly told police "a freak accident" occurred when the device set her SUV on fire.

"When I asked why she thought her (70-year-old) father would want a flamethrower, she stated, 'I thought he would get a kick out of it,'" Barrington police Detective Lori Allsteadt wrote in a report.

Documents say Gagne unsuccessfully tried to use a portable fire extinguisher on the flaming SUV. Seeing the fire was out of control, she ran south to Dundee Road and called a friend for a ride to a Schaumburg bar, according to police documents.

"She said that she freaked out and then left the scene and made a stolen auto report out with Schaumburg police because she didn't know what else to do," wrote Allsteadt.

Police said they found two gasoline canisters near the 2016 Infiniti QX70 in the office parking lot, along with the flamethrower near a garbage bin enclosure.

Reports list several other items collected at the scene, including napalm fuel-mix thickener, a CO2 canister, black duct tape, propane, wipes that remove gasoline odor from skin, a charred mobile device and a black drawstring bag containing an envelope with flamethrower operating instructions.

Firefighters specializing in hazardous materials collected the items found in the lot, officials said.

"That's the kind of thing that requires some technical capability to do it and do it right," Barrington Fire Chief James Arie said.

Cook County sheriff's office evidence technicians who assisted Barrington authorities found a vehicle identification number printed in the SUV's frame, and it was traced to Gagne. She turned herself in to Schaumburg police Nov. 21.

XMatter's X15 model personal flamethrower typically is used for controlled burns, weed incineration and pyrotechnic events.

Gagne said a friend in Barrington used his credit card to buy the $1,600 flamethrower for her because she was unable to charge it on her account, according to police.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
She shoulda claimed "Spider!".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gagne said a friend in Barrington used his credit card to buy the $1,600 flamethrower for her because she was unable to charge it on her account, according to police.

Yet she was able to buy a 2016 Infiniti QX70.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Does "I didn't know it was loaded" work here?

No cure for stupid

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

"When I asked why she thought her (70-year-old) father would want a flamethrower, she stated, 'I thought he would get a kick out of it,'" Barrington police Detective Lori Allsteadt wrote in a report.

Who wouldn't want a flamethrower? Idiot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite is:

quote:
Seeing the fire was out of control, she ... called a friend for a ride to a bar ... and made a stolen auto report ... because she didn't know what else to do.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
My personal favorite is:

quote:
Seeing the fire was out of control, she ... called a friend for a ride to a bar ... and made a stolen auto report ... because she didn't know what else to do.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Indeed.

I just hope her insurance company tells her to fuck the hell off.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nationwide isn't on her side!

Mayhem said no way.

Allstate We don't want you in our hands.

The Gecko won't save you 15 minutes.

State Farm We aren't on your side.

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take bullshit for $1000 Alex. I'll go out on a limb and say she was behind on payments.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reports: Barrington woman said torching SUV was a 'freak accident'

Roll Eyes

Was she behind on the payments? Did she file a claim with her insurance company after reporting it stolen?

quote:
"I think she's just really a victim of some really strange circumstances."

LOL

I wonder if she or her 'friend' were stupid enough to record the event on a cell phone....
The video would be amusing.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
This will be the next Farmers Insurance commercial with Rickie Fowler.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does it seem the only things missing are aliens and anal probes.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knighthawk:
Nationwide isn't on her side!

Mayhem said no way.

Allstate We don't want you in our hands.

The Gecko won't save you 15 minutes.

State Farm We aren't on your side.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The report said a mobile device was also torched. Does Applecare cover flamethrower accidents?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time in a far away land .......

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Who wouldn't want a flamethrower? Idiot.

No kidding!

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This thread is going just where I hoped it would. Big Grin

Posts: 18056 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:

Yet she was able to buy a 2016 Infiniti QX70.

Nothin fishy about any of this story

Wink

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
2:40 second mark (My Favorite movie)

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post