SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For the coffee geeks - Technivorm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the coffee geeks - Technivorm Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I thought my fellow coffee geeks might find this interesting.

The December issue of Popular Mechanics, Best Tech Of The Year, page 24, has an article about the Technivorm MoccaMaster. It shows an extensive breakdown of all the parts, as well as how and why it works so well.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool, I'll be sure to grab a copy. Thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I thought my fellow coffee geeks might find this interesting.

The December issue of Popular Mechanics, Best Tech Of The Year, page 24, has an article about the Technivorm MoccaMaster. It shows an extensive breakdown of all the parts, as well as how and why it works so well.

Mine needs a deep deep clean!!!

I’ll have to check it out

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for letting us know.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Never heard of the Technivorm MoccaMaster. Looks interesting. Also, it looks like I could use my current Mellita #4 filters. Would that be true?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have the Technivorm. It makes damn good coffee.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been trying to decide for a while between a Bonavita or Technivorm coffee maker.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Been trying to decide for a while between a Bonavita or Technivorm coffee maker.

the secret to the Technivorm is the massive copper heating element. And it's handmade.
I have the Bonavita. It does make good coffee, but the carafe absolutely sucks. It dribbles all over if you try to pour without the lid on, and if it is on, it takes twenty to thirty seconds to our a cup of coffee. This also makes it worthless for filling the reservoir, so I use a pitcher for that.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

the secret to the Technivorm is the massive copper heating element. And it's handmade.
I have the Bonavita. It does make good coffee, but the carafe absolutely sucks. It dribbles all over if you try to pour without the lid on, and if it is on, it takes twenty to thirty seconds to our a cup of coffee. This also makes it worthless for filling the reservoir, so I use a pitcher for that.

I bought the Bonavita and it did make good coffee but that's all it did well. My carafe dribbled as well, very messy and sloppy, and it also failed to keep the coffee hot for awhile. Bonavita send me another carafe under warranty, that eased the keeping hot issue, but it's still a dribbler. Let me be clear, the Bonavita makes great coffee but in my opinion it by design cuts corners elsewhere.

I then bought a Tecnivorm. I wish I'd bought it first. The Bonavita is in the closet waiting to find a home somewhere else.

In my opinion just buy the Technivorm and be done with it. I got the copper color and love it, guests comment on how attractive it is. It's really nice. And the coffee is outstanding.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
The secret to the Technivorm is the massive copper heating element. And it's handmade.
I bought the Bonavita and it did make good coffee but that's all it did well. My carafe dribbled as well, very messy and sloppy, and it also failed to keep the coffee hot for awhile. Bonavita send me another carafe under warranty, that eased the keeping hot issue, but it's still a dribbler. Let me be clear, the Bonavita makes great coffee but in my opinion it by design cuts corners elsewhere.

I then bought a Tecnivorm. I wish I'd bought it first. The Bonavita is in the closet waiting to find a home somewhere else.

In my opinion just buy the Technivorm and be done with it. I got the copper color and love it, guests comment on how attractive it is. It's really nice. And the coffee is outstanding.

Interesting, I went though the same die diligence and opted for the Bonavita.
However, my carafe is all Stainless Steel, no leaks.
The only mess I have is from my grinder.
It does make a very good cup of coffee.
I did highly consider the Technivorm an still may get one in the future, I like quality products.

My only complaint is (and I have the same complaint for every other drip unit I have bought) is not getting the coffee hot enough.
That was my fear with spending the extra $$ on the Technivorm.

No matter as we only use the Bonavita on weeks ends when we drink more coffee but every other day I use a French Press > hotter coffee, better flavor albeit more work.

Still I probably will get a Technivorm next at some point.

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

My only complaint is (and I have the same complaint for every other drip unit I have bought) is not getting the coffee hot enough.
That was my fear with spending the extra $$ on the Technivorm.

The Bonavita and Technivorm are both certified by the "Specialty Coffee Association of America" as brewing within their "Golden Cup Recommendations."

Specifically, the water has to reach 197.6 F within one minute and never exceed 204.8 F, the water-coffee contact time should be between 4-8 minutes, and it should stay between 176-185 F in the carafe for at least 30 minutes without a heating element causing a rise in temperature (I guess heating to maintain temp or slow down cooling is OK).

http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Thanks that is some good info, maladat. Cool

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
took delivery of my bonavita 8 cup jan 2012 - still going strong ( knock on wood ). paid $146.79 shipped.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Never heard of the Technivorm MoccaMaster. Looks interesting. Also, it looks like I could use my current Mellita #4 filters. Would that be true?

Yes. It uses #4 filters

Posts: 166 | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
In stick with my Nespresso Pixie. It makes the best coffee that I've ever had. Every cup is made fresh. The Nespresso coffee are superb. At this moment I'm sipping Ristretto, a dark roast blend – mostly Arabica with a bit of Robusta.

And very little cleaning required.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Man you guys are mean. Talking about good coffee and here I sit drinking a cup of hospital coffee while doing paperwork after a transport....

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
Man you guys are mean. Talking about good coffee and here I sit drinking a cup of hospital coffee while doing paperwork after a transport....

I hope that you're out of that hospital soon. And that they give you a good Thanksgiving meal.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I hope that you're out of that hospital soon. And that they give you a good Thanksgiving meal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks pipe smoker. I’m working today, we should have a decent meal at the station. For the record I have a techinvorm that I love at the house. Best drip machine I’ve ever had.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope that you're out of that hospital soon. And that they give you a good Thanksgiving meal.

Sounds like he makes multiple trips transporting patients. Sorry you have to work Thanksgiving, hbabler! Hope that means you get Christmas and New Years off.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

Sounds like he makes multiple trips transporting patients. Sorry you have to work Thanksgiving, hbabler! Hope that means you get Christmas and New Years off.

Thanks Doc, you got it, I’m riding the ambulance today.