SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Navy rescues mariners, dogs stranded in Pacific Ocean for 5 months**UPDATE**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy rescues mariners, dogs stranded in Pacific Ocean for 5 months**UPDATE** Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:

(did a sailing {no motor} circumnavigation on a 40' Challenger ketch from 75-81,

Thread Drift -

Did you visit Palmyra atoll during your travels?

I just read 1/2 "And the sea will tell", had to quit it half way thru as the author was more about how great he was than just telling the story...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, Bugliosi is definitely a big fan of Bugliosi. I skimmed a lot of the 2nd half of the book because this.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
"Yet, as questions arise about their story, the two admitted Monday they had a functioning rescue beacon on board they did not use."

...and there you go.

Yes, but the other side of the coin is. EPIRBS batteries only last 36-72 hours, so if you're out of airplane range and in no mans land, the battery may go dead before they find you.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted
by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
"Yet, as questions arise about their story, the two admitted Monday they had a functioning rescue beacon on board they did not use."

...and there you go.

Yes, but the other side of the coin is. EPIRBS batteries only last 36-72 hours, so if you're out of airplane range and in no mans land, the battery may go dead before they find you.

EPIRBs communicate via satellite.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
quote:
Originally posted
by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

...and there you go.

I believe his point is that if your EPIRB dies after 2 days but it takes a week for a boat to get to where the EPIRB activated, you may have drifted quite a bit in the meantime.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
SO that boat had a 5 month supply of food and fresh water for them and the dog?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
quote:
Originally posted
by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

...and there you go.

I believe his point is that if your EPIRB dies after 2 days but it takes a week for a boat to get to where the EPIRB activated, you may have drifted quite a bit in the meantime.

My bad. My reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. But even in no mans land there appears to be a lot of marine traffic. Interesting link here:
Marinetraffic.com

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

No, I believe they had a water desalination gizmo and a year's supply of oatmeal and noodles. Amazing that they had so much food along, isn't it?

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

No, I believe they had a water desalination gizmo and a year's supply of oatmeal and noodles. Amazing that they had so much food along, isn't it?

I read that, and then read another article where they said they were about to run out of food???

All over the place, they are.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and they didn't use their EPIRB because they weren't in fear for their survival, but they figured they could only have made it one or two days longer if they hadn't been rescued. There is a noticeable aroma of equine excrement emanating from every aspect of their story.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Appel's mother, Joyce, also told The Associated Press she called the Coast Guard to report her daughter missing a week and a half after they departed for what they believed would be an 18-day trip to Tahiti.

So, why would they be reported missing only 10 days into an 18-day trip?

quote:
At some point, Appel joined the Hawai'i Actors Network, noting on the group's website that she has "been known to do almost any skydiving or motorcycle stunt — camera optional." Through the group, she found work as an extra in the former TV series "Off the Map" and the former sitcom "Cougar Town," appearing in that show in a pink bikini in the background of a season finale. A call to the actors' network by The Associated Press was not returned.

Sounds like "Balloon Boy" all over again. A person (the kid's father), who has been trying to 'break in to' the reality scene, has a harrowing real-life drama literally thrust upon them. . . I call BS.

quote:
The women said Tuesday that they did not use the beacon because they never felt they were in immediate danger, yet they have been quoted as saying they did not think they would survive another day. Furthermore, the pair said they had been flagging vessels and sending distress signals for at least 98 days.

More BS. They were LOST AT SEA for 98 days, but never flipped a single switch that would have summoned help? They were likely thinking of cashing in on a book and movie deal, a nail-biting adventure of two brave women lost at sea surviving on their own wits for months through raging storms and shark attacks. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post