SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking advice on used zero turn mowers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice on used zero turn mowers Login/Join 
posted
There's been several discussions on new mowers lately, how about used? Is there a tipping point where a used commercial grade zero turn mower is not worth it? In my area I see mostly Toro/Exmark mowers on landscape trailers, some John deere. I'll be cutting 3 flat acres. I'm leaning towards a used zero turn but most of the ones I'm seeing have around 1500 hours or more. My budget is 5k.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 2005 JD 757. Bought it new. Never regretted it. I mow 6ish acres and there are times when it becomes a brush hog.
I have replaced the blades, battery, and belts. Other than changing the oil. That's it.
I would buy commercial only.
In my experience, I would buy JD, Bobcat, exmark.
Heard many bad things about Cub, but no personal experience.
Unless the land is fla, I wouldn't go over a 52" deck. Less scalping.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1125 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My friend who works at a large dealer which sells a number of brands has some advice. He told me a while ago to make sure to clean under the deck. Even more critical. Change oil frequently, very frequently. And most of all, the engines need major repair or replacement often 1500 to 1800 hours.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a used Kubota Z125E. This is not a commercial grade mower, but still pretty well constructed. I found a 2015 with 50 hours for $3500.

Thought it was a fair deal.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
That budget would likely come close to something new if desired.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there just another thread on this subject?

ETA

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6300081124

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
There's been several discussions on new mowers lately, how about used? Is there a tipping point where a used commercial grade zero turn mower is not worth it? In my area I see mostly Toro/Exmark mowers on landscape trailers, some John deere. I'll be cutting 3 flat acres. I'm leaning towards a used zero turn but most of the ones I'm seeing have around 1500 hours or more. My budget is 5k.

I bought my Hustler Fastrak 48" for $5100 out the door (tax & everything). It was a 2010 that I bought in spring of 11. It has 240hrs on it & looks & runs like new. I don't baby it. It's marketed as a light-duty commercial / heavy duty homeowner. 4 of my neighbors now own the same model. We all have ~2 acres.

I think 1500hrs is where a lot of commercial outfits trade so as to avoid downtime, or where the dealers have convinced them 'it's time'. They're not worn out, but would probably need some work.

One neighbor bought a SCAG with 1000hrs on it at an auction for stupid cheap (like $1k). I don't think he's had any issues with it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
That budget would likely come close to something new if desired.

No, it wouldn't.

Double would be close.

Triple would give him lots of, but not all options in new commercial grade ZTR mowers.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
quote:

Keep looking there are tons of good used mowers with under 1000 hours for less than 5k.

I have bought 3 used commercial mowers over the years, and have had good luck so far. I just bought a used Grasshopper front deck diesel mower with 1200 hours on it. It's just getting broken in. And it was quite a bit less than the 14k a new one cost.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Hustler Raptor SD 48" cut for $3,997.00 out the door 2 week ago and cut my 22" mower mowing time from 2 hours to 20 minutes....I can't wait for the grass to grow so I can mow more often

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Around here about $3k MORE (edit to add more) would get you a new 60" Dixie Chopper. You should be able to find a more gently used one for closer to your budget.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leemur,

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Don't know how it is where you live, but here in Central Florida we have people starting lawn maintenance businesses all the time, only to find out in a few months that its not quite as easy or lucrative as they thought. Many of these folks end up selling off all their equipment to try and escape creditors. As such, Craigslist here is full of commercial ZT's worthy of consideration. When/if I ever buy another ZT, that's the first place I intend to go to shop.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've made walking around money for years by buying gently used commercial lawn equipment and reselling. As bigdeal said, every year you have new lawn cos that buy new stuff on credit and then find out it's not for them. Not sure where op is in Tn but SLE runs some pretty good new deals in Nashville.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Also keep your eye out for the commercial grade 60" walk(stand)behinds w/ the Jungle Wheel sulky or similar set-up. Sure, sitting on your ass is nice but those stand behinds are just as good a cut, almost as fast, and turn on a dime (prefering you don't as that divits the lawn, but you get the picture).

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I paid $3,000 for my eXmark Lazer Z HP with a 52" deck from a dealer. The dealer put a brand new motor on it and rebuilt the hydraulic pumps. The spindles had been replaced by the previous owner six months before he traded it in. I've had the mower for five years and done nothing but maintenance. I did buy a new, fancy, suspension seat for it.

I wanted a walk behind, but the dealer mentioned this deal (they hadn't replaced the motor yet) and I grabbed it.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I've made walking around money for years by buying gently used commercial lawn equipment and reselling. As bigdeal said, every year you have new lawn cos that buy new stuff on credit and then find out it's not for them. Not sure where op is in Tn but SLE runs some pretty good new deals in Nashville.

Funny you mention SLE, I'm going there Saturday.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for reposting that, found some very good info in there.

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Funny you mention SLE, I'm going there Saturday.

They are high volume and loosely affiliated with my local dealer, SIE. They often combine buying power. On new mowers there have been some super deals on Snapper Pro, same as Ferris w/out the suspension. The best new deal I've seen is Snapper Pro S150XT 52" w/28hp Briggs Vanguard EFI engine for $6100. That's what SIE is selling them for and the S150 is a fine mower and 52" is my favorite size deck for quality of cut.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/6041372252.html

Many commercial guys trade every 3 years, that always keeps their machines in warranty and SLE should have several trade ins that they will deal on

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post