SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "mass shooting" thing gets a little too close to home for me..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "mass shooting" thing gets a little too close to home for me.. Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
So, this happened today, just a few towns away.

Not sure if it qualifies as a mass shooting, but 3 civilians and one police officer are dead, not sure how many more injured. News is still coming in.

Suspect is in custody, though.

http://fox6now.com/2017/03/22/...rted-in-wausau-area/

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Yea, friend is a SWAT cop there and was directly involved.

Stuff can happen anywhere...

RIP to the innocents involved.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Cripes you guys, very sorry to see this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
SWMBO just ordered a new concealed carry purse yesterday.

I've been pretty lax lately. Now I'm thinking about picking up a new concealed carry piece...

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Get something you will ALWAYS carry without dressing around it or having a cover garment. My 2 3-4" .357 SP101 totally changed the way I look at a carry gun.

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
SWMBO just ordered a new concealed carry purse yesterday.

I've been pretty lax lately. Now I'm thinking about picking up a new concealed carry piece...

I read this as "Now I'm thinking about picking up a new concealed carry purse..." initially.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure if it qualifies as a mass shooting, but 3 civilians and one police officer are dead, not sure how many more injured. News is still coming in.

This happened right down the road from where I work. I also live in Wausau. Things have been getting worse and worse around here. Between the shootings and drug problems, it's just not the same town.

My heart and prayers go out to all the victims and families. May the shooter burn in hell.

I really need to start carrying more. It's hard to do when the employer has a no weapons policy and I don't want to leave it in the car seeing we've had break-ins here before. Maybe a concealed carry lunch bag...

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 81chop:
quote:

This happened right down the road from where I work. I also live in Wausau. Things have been getting worse and worse around here. Between the shootings and drug problems, it's just not the same town.

My heart and prayers go out to all the victims and families. May the shooter burn in hell.

I really need to start carrying more. It's hard to do when the employer has a no weapons policy and I don't want to leave it in the car seeing we've had break-ins here before. Maybe a concealed carry lunch bag...

How do you live in Wausau and you don't come to the SigForum WI shoots?!?!?!

Check the competition/regional shoots section, there's a thread about the WI shoot coming up in June.

Entropy - silly as it sounds, the LGS has a Tuarus Curve in stock. They haven't been able to sell it, so I can get it CHEAP.

That's largely been my problem - dressing around what I'm carrying. It's hard to carry something in a holster when the pants you sometimes wear don't even have belt loops...

Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
I tried to get to the spring shoot last year, but work got in the way. This spring though, I have enough time to reserve that day off. Smile

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
Just got out of work and I need to unload a bit about this.

This is bothering me more than normal for some reason. My blood pressure skyrockets when I hear of a police officer getting shot, but this one seems different. Maybe because it's so close to home, don't know.

As I said before, this town is going downhill fast. Years ago, there was a long waiting list to get on the Wausau Police Department. It was one people wanted to be a part of. Smaller town, not much happens. Now, they can't get enough officers. There was even a special on the local news about it.

We now have three to four (maybe more) mini ghettos in town. It's pretty sad when a lot of people avoid those areas now. It never used to be that way. Those areas were always pretty decent. Now, one of them is growing closer to where I live. It's hard for me to just up and move because I don't rent. I don't know how bad this area is going to get in the future.

The drugs are ridiculous in this town now. You can get anything you would ever want. The news and police said this is now the main connection town between Minneapolis and Milwaukee. Got it coming from both directions. In the past couple of months, the drug team pulled over $1 million of drugs off the streets. A guy I worked with overdosed on meth not too long ago leaving a girlfriend and two children. Didn't even know he was into that crap.

Two blocks to the west of me an 18 year old girl was murdered in her apartment the other year. One block north of me there was a stabbing over a drug deal gone bad. A couple of more blocks north, two guys got into a gunfight in the street. Just down from where I work, a guy showed up at a bar with a gunshot wound to the head. A bunch of bank, gas station, and bar robberies. Gun fights at one of the local strip clubs. And within the last two months, an officer shot a guy right down the road and another just north of town.

This past summer, I took a week of vacation to build a nice storage shed. While working outside, especially in the evening and weekends, I couldn't believe how many times I heard sirens. Not fire or ambulance, but police.

I wish those of us with concealed carry licenses could carry at work, but I don't know if that would be a good thing. We do have one guy that's a bit off center, and everyone agrees if someone is going to shoot the place up, it's him. We don't need him to possibly have access to a firearm.

I know this isn't nearly as bad as some towns, but it really sucks when the peaceful town you grew up in turns into this.

I fear this is only the beginning of this crap happening around here. I really need to get a smaller carry gun. May have to go shopping this weekend.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Its everywhere. I live in a grown up little farm town. Lots of heroin in the HS. Pot and drugs in the gradeschool. Parents just dont seem to care. Could be worse though...a few years back the DHS took down a meat processing plant at a little rural crossroads just a bit south. Were talking blocked the AMTRAK line and came in heavy with Blackhawks. They were laundering money for AQ. I wonder how much all that recent roadwork and ease of access has to do with the spike. Like you said, easy to MKE and MSP.

Hope to see you at the shoot. Always a good time.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wish those of us with concealed carry licenses could carry at work, but I don't know if that would be a good thing. We do have one guy that's a bit off center, and everyone agrees if someone is going to shoot the place up, it's him. We don't need him to possibly have access to a firearm.

So what is stopping an unbalanced person from carrying anyway? I don't know about you, but I'd rather be prepared to meet that threat head-on than rely on a "Gun Free Zone" sign. It's better that 10 lawful gun owners are carrying and one bad guy is carrying than no lawful gun owners carrying and one bad guy carrying. Don't fall for the anti's myth that making a workplace a gun free zone will somehow prevent tragedy. Indeed, the very opposite is true.

quote:
I fear this is only the beginning of this crap happening around here. I really need to get a smaller carry gun.

Smaller? Confused

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
I finally got it into my head that this can happen anywhere last year. My carry practices got a bit lax at times. If I was just going to run out and do a couple errands I didn't always take the time to strap on the steel.

I went out and bought a small lightweight 5 shot revolver. That and a couple speed strips along for the ride. It can be dropped into a pocket or clipped to a standard belt. Now if I'm out of the house it's with me. Perhaps not the ideal weapon but it disappears into whatever you're wearing and beats harsh language.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

So what is stopping an unbalanced person from carrying anyway? I don't know about you, but I'd rather be prepared to meet that threat head-on than rely on a "Gun Free Zone" sign. It's better that 10 lawful gun owners are carrying and one bad guy is carrying than no lawful gun owners carrying and one bad guy carrying. Don't fall for the anti's myth that making a workplace a gun free zone will somehow prevent tragedy. Indeed, the very opposite is true.

quote:
I fear this is only the beginning of this crap happening around here. I really need to get a smaller carry gun.

Smaller? Confused

I know what he means, and that's about where I am.

I'm looking at possibly a Taurus Curve, maybe some smaller revolver.

Why? A Taurus Curve with 7 rounds of .380 in my sweatpants pocket is better than a 9mm 226 with 15+1 on the nightstand. The best carry gun is one you actually carry, no?

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know what he means, and that's about where I am.

I'm looking at possibly a Taurus Curve, maybe some smaller revolver.

Why? A Taurus Curve with 7 rounds of .380 in my sweatpants pocket is better than a 9mm 226 with 15+1 on the nightstand. The best carry gun is one you actually carry, no?

Ruger LCP for me, it is my carry weapon when nothing else works.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My Gerber Covert Folder is ALWAYS with me but I'm considering going over to an always-carry firearm ...

Kind of hard, in my trade, though. Awareness has never left. It amazes me how many people hug the corner of a crosswalk while traffic is flying past them, obliviously staring at an electronic device.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
This one also hits a little too close to home for me. In my previous job I visted Weston a lot and I enjoyed it and downtown Wausau. Our Admin assistant outside my office just moved out of Weston to Green Bay. The owner of the apartment complex goes to her church and she knew the officer that got killed. Apparently one of those killed was the Divorce lawyer. I feel so bad for those families right now.

Posts: 317 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
We went and bought smaller carry guns today that are lighter and easier to conceal.

I bought a Bodyguard 380 with an external safety that I can just toss in a pocket, and she opted for a P238.

We are both happy with them.

Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
Thursday morning I was out running errands, and happened to pick up a Springfield XDS 9. Springfield has a Gear Up Promotion going on now, so also getting 4 free magazines, a magazine pouch and a holster. Went out Friday and put a bunch of rounds through it. Really like it.

It's nice to see all the support from the community. One of the local HVAC places is donating 10K and challenged all other businesses to do the same. The bank where one of the shootings happened, is pitching in 25K. One of the local tv stations is helping too. All of the money is going to the victims families.

On my way to work Thursday, there were people putting up blue ribbons everywhere. Everest Metro Police also has the officers Explorer out front of the station, and lots of people are visiting and leaving flowers and such.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the guy is off center and decides to bring a gun in and shoot the place up, do you think he is going to give a shit about a no guns at work policy?

If he does snap and bring a gun in to shoot the place up, do you think it would be better or worse if folks who can legally carry in public are armed?

With rights come responsibilities and perhaps some risks. However, any safety provided by denying good people the right to be armed is an illusion at best.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post