SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brass disposal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass disposal Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
In the process of getting rid of possessions I no longer need or want, I see that I have anywhere from many hundred to several thousand 9mm brass in various states, from clean primerless to not clean, spent primer. Most are once fired but I can’t guarantee that.

Is there any value to these? I accumulated these, intending to be regularly reloading but that dribbled to a halt years ago, before our move.

Should I toss them? Take them to a nearby gun range? Sprinkle at properties in the path of devrlopment? Crime scenes?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Donate them to a local member that reloads?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Of course there is value as a recycleable metal. At least donate them to a gun range or another shooter. Or sell them to a recycler.

I dump my unwanted brass in the brass barrel at my shooting range.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as there are no bullets the recyclers around here consider them clean brass and pay $1.10 per pound. If there are some bullets then they pay much less.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd consider giving them to a reloader. He will value them more than as scrap, although brass has some scrap value. Surely someone near you could use a thousand-ish empty 9mm cases.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Worse case recycle it, you should be able to get no less than a dollar per pound for it. First I'd try offering as karma to someone willing to meet you and pick them up.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Fill USPS flat rate boxes and karma them off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm fired brass is worth about three cents each and 1000 weigh about 9 pounds. It certainly has some value and is marketable.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Some productive ideas here. Thanks.

I do not know any local reloaders, so maybe some sort of karma might work. Let me do an inventory and see what there actually is.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Freedom Munitions will take them as “trade in” on ammunition. Scrap value, of course.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Local range donates all unclaimed range brass to the juniors program. On some big match es they make quite a haul.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if I lived closer I would bUy them off you, but the freight to ship them to Oregon would probably not be worth it, DANG I reload and could use them.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
if I lived closer I would bUy them off you, but the freight to ship them to Oregon would probably not be worth it, DANG I reload and could use them.

Could fit quite a bit in the medium USPS flat rate box.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In the course of inventory, I think I will stuff a “if it fits, it ships” boxes, and see hw many each the small and medium will hold.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It's worth its weight in scrap contaminated (unless you want to decap and clean every one) brass at a recycling yard.

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in a flat rate box full of 9mm brass. I'd gladly pay the shipping costs...

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
My Dad used to mold his own bullets and reload them. He has thousands of 1 lb. lead ingots that he poured for use... some day. Last time I was home he finally admitted that he was never going to use any of it. And it's not just pure lead either, it's melted down wheel weights, linotype, spent bullets and what ever other lead he was able to scrounge up. What business would be interested in buying lead like this? Preferably some place in Texas close to Wichita Falls.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scrap yards buy lead too. Call and ask them what they pay per pound.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
When I moved five years ago I took all my brass to the scrap yard. Got over $350 for it all.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Some productive ideas here. Thanks.

I do not know any local reloaders, so maybe some sort of karma might work. Let me do an inventory and see what there actually is.

I am in Austin and reload 9mm. I would be willing to pay something for some.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post