SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Average life of nations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Average life of nations Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
As I recall from some years ago, the average life cycle of nations is about 220 years. They go through a cycle of several steps.

1. From bondage to spiritual growth
2. From spiritual growth to great courage
3. From courage to liberty
4. From liberty to abundance
5. From abundance to complacency
6. From complacency to apathy
7. From apathy to dependence
8. From dependence back to bondage

So, where are we in this cycle? Seems to me that given the huge number of people on all forms of government support/welfare we are rapidly approaching stage 7.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not sure where we are on the list. I am pretty sure though that if we did suffer under the rule of a tyrant nation as we did, this current populace would not rise up and sacrifice whatever was necessary to build a new nation.

To further that point, there is a meme out there concerning Central and South American migrants. It basically says if it's so bad down there, fix it like we did. The problem I see though is that "WE" didn't fix anything. Our predecessors did. Some lived some died but none of us did. (I'm not talking about war in general but the Revolutionary War specifically).

People don't have the stomach today to loose caramel machiatto's and instant entertainment and personal property and blah blah blah. All of which potentially would be lost in a bid to separate from a tyrannical rule.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Given a choice between liberty and air conditioning, I bet 75% or more of the citizens of this country would pick air conditioning.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be the voice of doom.... but 7.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I think we are between complacency and apathy. The American population is just plain spoiled. We want all of the toys but are unwilling to pay for the necessities like good roads, safe bridges, clean environment, etc.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
At least 5 but not a solid 6.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the social metric we look at, somewhere on the road from 5 - 7.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I told my wife yesterday that I'm glad I won't be around to see where our nation is in 50 years or so. I believe we're at about 6 on this scale, maybe 7. Close to a tipping point, at any rate.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters, anyway, because the whole friggin' planet is doomed.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Between 6 and 7, no doubt about it.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post