SIGforum
Some buyer’s remorse - 29er bike

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9990075734

February 10, 2018, 09:04 PM
konata88
Some buyer’s remorse - 29er bike
Friend gave me his 2008 Specialized Rockhopper 29er. I’ve been wanting to try one even though my 26er is still in great condition.

I’ve replaced almost every component except the brakes (replaced pads and rotors), rear SRAM7 derailleur, crankset and seat (need to replace the seat). Including handlebar and stem and tires. About $600 in parts and labor.

I do like the ride feel of the 29er. But I don’t like the SRAM x5 shifters, the rear derailleur, the Avid BB7 brakes. Not sure how much it would cost to replace with SLX/Deore class components but it probably puts me in new bike range ($1000-1500).

So, I’m feeling a little remorse right now. Honestly, it’s probably a decent setup for $600 but I’m just not completely happy for the amount I spent.

Sigh. At the very least, to keep riding it, I need to buy a new rear tire and a seat. Sigh.

By the way, I think the bike rear swings out to the right if I brake hard. If true, what would cause that?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
February 10, 2018, 09:58 PM
Ronin101
I think my advice was to look for bargains on components. and piece it together. If you buy the stuff straight from a shop they charge you full retail. that being said 600 isn't to bad when the bike would have been 1200 new. IMHO

If you are into bikes its like customizing a gun. when you aren't it feel like you are fixing a used car. I like my scram shifters but its a personal thing and if you are used to something else it may take a while to get used to it
February 11, 2018, 03:17 PM
konata88
Yea, I know. And I was going to do that but then I started learning that I had no idea what components to get, what would work, and such.

For example, I didn't know that the SRAM rear derailleur set up stock for 8 cog cassette would work with a 9 cog cassette (but apparently only to 34T and not 36T and certainly not 42T). And the brand levels were very confusing - XT, SLX, Deore, Deore XT etc. They all look the same to me. And who knows what on the SRAM side.

So, I bit the bullet somewhat and relied on LBS recommendations for comparable components for a "$1000 bike".

The problem lies in stuff like this: The Shimano components I have on my 26" may be considered the same / lower level as the SRAM components on the 29". However, the Shimano derailleur shifts much more immediately and quickly than the SRAM X7. And the shifters are little easier to use (at least the downshift triggers) - just better position and I like the pull trigger of the shimano vs the push trigger of the SRAM (but that's probably just preference and what I'm used to).

This all being said, you're right, the bike is pretty decent as-is. It's a better than average $600 bike (like you said -- it's like getting a $1200 bike for $600). Not entirely to my preference (which is probably what it is - preference not efficacy). And I actually did get 10% off parts.

And the brakes seem to be bedding in and working better. I think generally I prefer the rim brakes I have on my 26 vs disk brakes. They are easier to modulate and have excellent stopping power. And easy to maintain. I've been learning and adjusting the BB7's and they feel a little better now. Probably because I don't ride in mud / rain that I don't see the value of disks -- they are just more work for little value.

Anyway, next up is seat. I took a ride yesterday and my butt is killing me. Never bought a seat before - the Fizik and Selle look interesting. And tire - one tire has no traction - trail or track (stock Fast Track?).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book