SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anyone else’s iPad doing crazy stuff?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else’s iPad doing crazy stuff? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Mine has taken to randomly capitalizing words in mid sentence or rotating the screen 90°. I don’t know what all else is going on. Looks like I need another update to fix the last update.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t have an iPad, but I have an iPhone. It will develop various problems if I don’t do a power-down reset every week or so.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know about ipads, but I’ve heard we should stay away from apple’s 13.5 and 13.5.1 iOS updates as they can cause battery drain, bootloops (a really bad problem that Android’s have been prone to), as well as other issues. Ipad updates came out at the same time so might be something to be wary of. Just a thought.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I updated my iPhone to 13.5 several days ago. It's working fine. My iPad is still running 13.4.1.

I usually update one device and give it a few days before updating the other, then give that a few days before telling my wife to go ahead and update hers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
13.5 on 8+ for several days, without any issues.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It seems 3.5.1 is fairly critical from a security standpoint. Apparently there are some nasty issues in 3.5 that can lead to device instability and vulnerabilities. From one of my security newsletters:
quote:

Less than a week after a round of comprehensive security updates, Apple has released updates to iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, tvOS and macOS  to correct a memory consumption issue which could allow an application to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges (CVE-2020-9859). The issue has been addressed through improved memory handling.

It you're currently running the previous update, probably wise to apply this one sooner, rather than later.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any issues.

I would do a reset if I was having those issues. This will not affect the data on you iPad.

For devices with Home button:

Press and hold the Power button and the Home button at the same time
Wait for the device to reboot and then release the buttons once the Apple logo appears.

For devices with no Home button:

Press and release the Volume Up button
Press and release the Volume Down button
Press and hold the Power button to restart your iPad.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
FWIW: My iPhone had been running 13.5 w/o a problem, but, considering the nature of the issues announced about that version, I updated to 13.5.1 quickly. Updated my Apple watch and my iPad, as well. Been running them all for 24 hours or more with no problems to report.