SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gunstore Clerk constantly racking the slide of my new Les Baer during FFL transfer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstore Clerk constantly racking the slide of my new Les Baer during FFL transfer Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
It sounds like a good educational opportunity to me. Not the "things would have gotten ugly" tough guy shit that is most of this thread, but a "hey, on a high end gun like that, letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber can effect the ignition." Like it or not, not everybody that works in a gun store is a huge and all knowing gun person, and a little bit of education can go a long way. Definitely farther than leading with an ass chewing.

His education should already have reached this basic level if he is to be behind a gun counter handling expensive hardware. Plus, it's not our job to educate him; its the boss's.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A serious breach of etiquette that I would also have taken umbrage to, but don't tell me a couple of "slide slams" did anything to that gun that a 20,000 psi breech explosion could not.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
If anyone did that to my new gun I would promptly ask them to let me see it then into my waste band it would go till the paperwork was completed. Then after they had stewed on my reaction for awhile I would calmly explained why that had upset me. If I got attitude after that I would have a serious discussion with the owner.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
A serious breach of etiquette that I would also have taken umbrage to, but don't tell me a couple of "slide slams" did anything to that gun that a 20,000 psi breech explosion could not.

Respectfully, on a 1911, damage to the slide or barrel are not the concern when dropping the slide on an empty chamber. BUT, 1911's are special. On a tuned 1911, dropping the slide on an empty chamber also causes the hammer to hit the sear at an accelerated speed which can cause damage the the perfect trigger pull he paid for. It can bang up the engagement surface of the sear.

When the gun is loaded and cycles during firing, the forward slide speed is attenuated by the force necessary to load the cartridge so there is no damage to the hammer and sear.

THAT's why you never drop the slide on an empty 1911. If it were my new gun, I would be very perturbed. I'd be so tempted to tell the clown to go finger-fuck his own guns and leave mine the hell alone.

EDIT TO ADD: At any LGS, aside from the standard safety check, I always ask permission before manipulating the action or dry firing one of their guns. I expect the same courtesy from them on one of mine.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
quote:

Respectfully, on a 1911, damage to the slide or barrel are not the concern when dropping the slide on an empty chamber. BUT, 1911's are special. On a tuned 1911, dropping the slide on an empty chamber also causes the hammer to hit the sear at an accelerated speed which can cause damage the the perfect trigger pull he paid for. It can bang up the engagement surface of the sear.

When the gun is loaded and cycles during firing, the forward slide speed is attenuated by the force necessary to load the cartridge so there is no damage to the hammer and sear.

THAT's why you never drop the slide on an empty 1911. If it were my new gun, I would be very perturbed. I'd be so tempted to tell the clown to go finger-fuck his own guns and leave mine the hell alone.

EDIT TO ADD: At any LGS, aside from the standard safety check, I always ask permission before manipulating the action or dry firing one of their guns. I expect the same courtesy from them on one of mine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, I always ask to check the trigger on a gun I am considering buying. I also remove the magazine first, if the clerk hasn't already and work the slide to check the trigger reset. I hold onto the slide until it is back into the forward position.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I purchased a sub2000 last week. The shop had several stacked in boxes on special, with one on display on top. I examined the one they displayed and decided to get it. The clerk then took one of the other ones new in box and asked me to check it for the sale. His reasoning,"No sense in you purchasing one that everyone has been messing with." This was a 400 dollar Kel-Tec. NOT a custom gun.

I think I'd have been polite, but I certainly would have said something. You're not over reacting.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
His education should already have reached this basic level if he is to be behind a gun counter handling expensive hardware. Plus, it's not our job to educate him; its the boss's.

And obviously that didn't happen, so again we're left with either being pissed off or, god forbid, trying to make it into something positive.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its all in the delivery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65-wLp1yyI

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I think I would have asked for the manager or the owner immediately and informed them of what was going on. I would also made it plain that it was not an employees place to play with merchandise that had already been purchased by someone else.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
quote:

Excellent post....If you don't own it, ALWAYS ask BEFORE Dry Firing, and ALWAYS ride the slide forward!

I always ask permission and expect the same courtesy as well. Unfortunately, common courtesy, along with common sense are not all the common anymore!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I think you may gotten a little preview into what goes on behind the scenes too. Might want to find a new gun store. I bet those two clowns have toyed with everything "neat" that is either in stock or an incoming transfer.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post