SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gunstore Clerk constantly racking the slide of my new Les Baer during FFL transfer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstore Clerk constantly racking the slide of my new Les Baer during FFL transfer Login/Join 
Picture of JSB3
posted
Wanted a Les Baer ever since I met him at one of the NRA Conventions in Saint Louis.
Finally made the purchase. (Went through Crazy John, who is a really nice guy).

While at the gun shop today, one kid watched me fill out the paperwork while the other kid took the 1911 out of the cardboard box and began to attempt to rack the slide. After a try or two he got it back, then let it slam forward, pulled the trigger, and did it at least 6 more times, after that I quit count.

Then they switch places!!!! The kid originally watching me fill out the paperwork takes the 1911 and begins doing the same thing, rack the slide, comment about how tight it is and let it slam forward, while the other kid does the transfer online.

Finally I said, "Hey, leave a little love for me" and he apologized. Then proceeded to begin pushing on the adjustable rear sights with two fingers trying to see if there was any "Play"? WTF!!!

I am not rich by any means, and this is a big purchase for me, so I am not some sort of gun snob.

Am I over reacting to think they were out of line for handling the gun like that since it was not theirs? Or maybe they were just as excited to get their hands on a Les Baer handgun as I was.

Side note, to tie into the Sig of the Forum, they did have 4 Legions in stock.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would have told them -- told, not asked -- to stop that immediately.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WTF would possess a clerk to play with a customer's pistol? Does this shop not have adult supervision?

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I would have chewed them a new asshole and then expected the manager would do the same, or I'd never come back.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Once you paid, it was your gun.

The only thing I can fault was you not speaking up after #1.

If I were the store owner and observed them, I would have "Moe Slapped the piss out of the both of them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
When I stopped in Monday to have the FFL License transferred I worked with the owner. Today it was two kids 21-25 age range.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I would be very unhappy. Vocally.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
He would have done that once.

Things would have gotten ugly after that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I over reacting to think they were out of line for handling the gun like that since it was not theirs? Or maybe they were just as excited to get their hands on a Les Baer handgun as I was.
I am sure they were excited but I would expect LGS employees to have some rudimentary firearms knowledge. It is pretty basic to not slam the slide shut on any gun with an empty chamber particularly a 1911. You were more patient than I would have been.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am sure they were excited but I would expect LGS employees to have some rudimentary firearms knowledge. It is pretty basic to not slam the slide shut on any gun with an empty chamber particularly a 1911. You were more patient than I would have been.

ABSOLUTELY, I would have told them to cut it out the first time they did it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I would have been pretty vocal... Even when people come in to purchase a firearm from us it drives me insane when some of these people think it's ok to treat other people's firearms the way they do... Until you purchase the gun it's MY gun, even though we are a dealer ultimately they are still my guns. 99% of the guns we sell are brand new anyway.. what do you expect it to do when you slam the slides forward and pull the trigger a thousand times... I constantly have to tell people to stop it with the nonsense they are doing... and when we perform a transfer for a customer we obviously check chamber just to make sure firearm is clear, but after that it sits and waits until that customer comes to get it... no need to screw with other's firearms...

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
"I just paid (insert amount) for that gun and I don't want you finger banging it like it's your prom night. UNDERSTOOD!?"

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me: "Who's gun is that you're playing with"?

Young clerk: "Yours".

Me: "Then put it down and don't play with my gun".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would have thoroughly peeved me off. I think I would have just calmly reached over and relieved him of the gun and put it back into the case and said, I do not handle my guns like that, this is my baby, I treat it as such. I would do it in a nice voice. I only go to gun stores that appreciate a gun like I do.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
"I just paid (insert amount) for that gun and I don't want you finger banging it like it's your prom night. UNDERSTOOD!?"

Bubbatime, I like your style!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Is it bad form to ask where this happened?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Once you paid, it was your gun.

The only thing I can fault was you not speaking up after #1.

If I were the store owner and observed them, I would have "Moe Slapped the piss out of the both of them.

This, but if you don't speak up, they're not going to stop.

First time was on them, after that...

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I am so stealing that.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would have said something immediately.

"Guys, I wouldn't drop a slide on one of your empty firearms, so please don't do it to mine."

or

"That Les Baer is tight, isn't it? If you guys keep dry dropping the slide, it won't stay that way."

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Probably not different than the valet who gets to drive exotics and drives unnecessarily aggressive. No excuse for that sort of behavior. If they liked the piece so much I'm sure most customers wouldn't have minded some fondling if asked (the gun, not the customer).

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post