SIGforum
Gunstore Clerk constantly racking the slide of my new Les Baer during FFL transfer

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9980067024

March 10, 2017, 06:46 AM
Kskelton
Gunstore Clerk constantly racking the slide of my new Les Baer during FFL transfer
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Probably not different than the valet who gets to drive exotics and drives unnecessarily aggressive. No excuse for that sort of behavior. If they liked the piece so much I'm sure most customers wouldn't have minded some fondling if asked (the gun, not the customer).

Some customers might not have minded some fondling either... I'm jk...

www.OneStopFirearms.com
March 10, 2017, 08:11 AM
prairieviper
quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
When I stopped in Monday to have the FFL License transferred I worked with the owner. Today it was two kids 21-25 age range.

If they are 21-25 years of age, they aren't kids, they are young adults. For some reason, society has decided that adults under 30 are still kids and should not be held responsible for anything and should be excused for bad behavior.

I would have probably said something right away like "Please put the gun back in the box" before #1 ever got the chance to rack the slide and I would have said that whether the inconsiderate individual was 25 or 65.

"In God We Trust"
March 10, 2017, 08:17 AM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I would have told them -- told, not asked -- to stop that immediately.

Yeah, this.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

March 10, 2017, 08:33 AM
h2oys
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I would have told them -- told, not asked -- to stop that immediately.

Yeah, this.

and then if they continued I would have called over the manager and told the manager "your kids just bought my Les Bauer" and when will my brand new untouched one arrive?
March 10, 2017, 08:46 AM
Ryanp225
I would have been pissed that they even opened the case. As soon as one of them dry fired it without permission I'd have asked to speak with the owned to explain why he just bought a new pistol and why I would be buying my new pistol elsewhere.
March 10, 2017, 09:06 AM
arfmel
That's unacceptable. I would have told them to quit finger-diddling my weapon.
March 10, 2017, 10:05 AM
Sig2340
Pointing the gun in a safe direction, the clerk must remove the magazine, rack and lock the slide OPEN, and inspect to ensure the gun is unloaded BEFORE handing it ACTION OPEN to the customer for inspection.

The customer should also hand the gun, action open, magazine out, back to the clerk, whereupon the clerk should close the action, and decock the gun using a decocker if there is one, or engage the safety (if there is one), reinsert the magazine and place it back into the shiiping packaging and box.

Anything else, unless at the invitation of the purchaser is unacceptable.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
March 10, 2017, 02:49 PM
SR
I know my local guy likes to check things out when then come in and is sometime known to show the cool stuff to other customers.

I ordered a new pistol as a gift to my brother and told him - my brother is very particular. If anyone touches it before he does, it will have to go back to the distributor. Pretty sure nobody opened the box or played with that gun.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig
March 10, 2017, 03:47 PM
slabsides45
Congrats on the new Baer. I have a TRS, and even though I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, the Baer is my favorite. It's blued in the LB bluing, then has some rubbed off in all the right places to give her that patina that's just right.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
March 10, 2017, 06:52 PM
YooperSigs
They did that to a new LB? Sacrilege! Hang the bastards!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
March 10, 2017, 07:14 PM
FenderBender
The hell with those tool bags, 50 pistol whippings for both of them. now post some pictures!
March 10, 2017, 07:23 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Pointing the gun in a safe direction, the clerk must remove the magazine, rack and lock the slide OPEN, and inspect to ensure the gun is unloaded BEFORE handing it ACTION OPEN to the customer for inspection.

The customer should also hand the gun, action open, magazine out, back to the clerk, whereupon the clerk should close the action, and decock the gun using a decocker if there is one, or engage the safety (if there is one), reinsert the magazine and place it back into the shiiping packaging and box.

Really? I thought the process was: Damn Sig2340, this SIG is sweet. Here give it a try. Smooth DA pull, try the SA. BS for a hour while my NICS check is delayed. Maybe fondle some of my FFL's toys.

I guess I have been doing it wrong Wink

=====

As for the OPs situation I wouldn't have let it get past clearing the weapon. After that, get your dirty paws off MY gun or it will be YOUR gun.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 10, 2017, 07:26 PM
jhe888
You should have said, "Please don't rack the slide any more."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 10, 2017, 07:35 PM
Elk Hunter
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
He would have done that once.

Things would have gotten ugly after that.

My thought as well. I understand a clerk checking the chamber to make sure it is empty. (who knows what kind of morons might do something really dumb.)

I most likely would have told the 2 idjits to put the gun down and called for the manager, and informed him of the crap. I have damned little patience for that silly shit.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
March 11, 2017, 07:10 AM
tgtshuter
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

This should be standard procedure, no matter if it's a Les Baer or a Lorcin.
March 11, 2017, 07:33 AM
exx1976
They both would have gotten a headache from my yelling at the first one after he did it the first time.

The second guy would have known better then not to do it.

And to be honest, I would have spoken up the instant the other guy began to take it out of the box. Anything more than handling it to get the serial # for the 4473 is excessive, and I would have ZERO issues telling them so. Especially given the damage that happens to 1911s from dropping the slide on an empty chamber.
March 11, 2017, 07:38 AM
ulsterman
I expect anyone handling a firearm to ensure it's safe prior to handing it to me, or anyone else.

I will do the same prior to handing it back.

When he started to rack the slide the 2nd time, you should have said "Stop".
March 11, 2017, 08:20 AM
Rey HRH
I would have told him to stop the first time he was obviously attempting to rack it. I would also ask him if he was trying to do a safety check to see if it was clear.

Otherwise, he shouldn't be playing with your gun.
You go to a shoe store, you know other people may have tried the shoes you're buying. But after you make the buying decision and as you're being rung up, how would you like it if another employee decided they wanted to try on your shoes and see how they fit and look good on their shoes, right?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
March 11, 2017, 08:28 AM
David Lee
I walked away from the purchase of a NIB, discontinued Trooper .22 and a stainless K 22 for just the same reasons. Problem when they are young and dont understand. FWIW, there is a Forum Member who has a awsome gun business just outside of St. Louis.
March 11, 2017, 08:41 AM
DaBigBR
It sounds like a good educational opportunity to me. Not the "things would have gotten ugly" tough guy shit that is most of this thread, but a "hey, on a high end gun like that, letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber can effect the ignition." Like it or not, not everybody that works in a gun store is a huge and all knowing gun person, and a little bit of education can go a long way. Definitely farther than leading with an ass chewing.