SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Let's say someone lets their dog poop on your driveway, and doesn't clean it up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's say someone lets their dog poop on your driveway, and doesn't clean it up Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
Hypothetically, you live in a nice suburban neighborhood with a mix of retirees, working folks, and some rentals (college-aged). You own your home, and take reasonable steps to keep its appearance up. While you are away at lunch, a passerby allows their dog to do its business on your driveway, leaving it for you to nearly run over it with your motorcycle tire on your way to the garage.

Question:
Do you...

Choices:
Clean it up, get over it, and move on, like an adult
Flip shit, clean it up, get over it, and curse their name until eternity
Install security cameras to catch the perpetrator in the act, and approach them like an adult
Install security cameras, conduct surveillance to catch the perpetrator, find out where this scumbag lives, and engage in a full-on campaign of psychological warfare to the extent that they will come to hate their lives, and causing serious emotional harm

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I voted to clean it up...BUT...

Are you sure it belonged to someone present...earlier this summer we had a large lab/pitbull/collie mixed creature with the bowels of a T-Rex making drops in front of my house (I suspected a neighbor down the street who walked her golden doodle...but I was wrong). I ran it off a few times and then it stopped coming by (I assume/hope it's owner secured it from roaming...it was a pretty dog).

However IF I would observe someone NOT cleaning up after their dog...I would say something (as I have done in the past)...that is inexcusable behavior from a human.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I've had that happen...next door neighbor.

It was neatly re-deposited along with a handwritten and signed note in front of his garage door as it's how he enters his house. No repeat deposits and I haven't heard squat.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
You left out "return it to the handler".

You know, it's amazing how far you can pitch a load of dog shit with a long handled shovel! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm a monkey, so...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Just last week my next door neighbor, an older woman that uses an electric cart to get around (but can walk) stopped by to talk. Her little kick dog took a dump on my driveway and she didn't seem to notice. I ended up tossing it back on her property with a shovel. Normally I wouldn't do this but it is not the first time I have seen her dog do this while on a leash. I have seen her "motoring down the road" in her cart with dog poop in a plastic bag many times. She has the perfect yard and usually is in the top 3 landscaped yard awards every summer.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

You know, it's amazing how far you can pitch a load of dog shit with a long handled shovel! Big Grin

Had an old neighbor that did just that. After many nice discussions that did not have the desired affect, and after stepping in some dog doo-doo getting out of his car, he started flinging the poop on their front porch... they started cleaning up after the their dogs shortly after.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say put up surveilance to see who it is. Proceed with recon to determine the residence of the offender. Purchase a drone with camera and payload capacity. Initiate a campaign of poop drop sorties with video (so we can enjoy the show) until offending behavior ceases. Smile You may want to disguise he drone as either a big pigeon or "Amazon Beta Test" to limit reprisals.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) Terrorism
2) North Korea
3) Democrat insurgency
4) Dog Shit on Your Driveway

Really?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
1) Terrorism
2) North Korea
3) Democrat insurgency

Really?

Yes, really. It's rather difficult to piss me off, but bad dog owners get it done in a hurry. Yes, I have a dog, and he's well-behaved to the point of being the standard against which people who have met him judge their own dogs.

It would be extremely unlikely for this to be a dog on its own - I've seen exactly one dog off leash since I've lived in this neighborhood. There are a lot of dog walkers on this street.

Not the first time this has happened, and the neighborhood is seemingly in decline with the insane amount of people moving here, so cameras were bound to happen anyway. Oversight of my driveway and front door will establish some piece of mind while I'm away, which is frequently.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Install security cameras.
Find out whose it is.
Find where they live
Either A. Box it up and put on front door step or B. Mail it to them if there's community mailboxes (it's worth the $5 for a flat rate box)

Wink

I act tough but I'm a pansy so even though I say this is what I want to do.... I'd probably just pick it up and go on my way....

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I'd flip my shit and clean it up and get over it unless it was a pattern.

The reality is maybe it was an accident and the owner didn't have the means handy so to speak. Course if it were me I would probably knock on your door, explain the issue and ask if you had a bag I could use while apologizing profusely but I try to be polite.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
1) Terrorism
2) North Korea
3) Democrat insurgency

Really?

You know, if you reverse the list, then you can see that things like letting your dog shit on other people's property is a first step that leads all the way to terroism.

Ironical, no?

Think about how nice things get turned to shit.

It is a pattern and starts with letting little shit progress to big shit.

I belive I loathe apathy more than fanaticism.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

This is a winning reply.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Do I hear a doorbell?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
1. Cameras to catch perpetrator
2. Collect poop
3. When you have enough, take it back to them and pile in front of front door or leave in mailbox

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Back in March we had our annual neighborhood meeting. There's basically 1 road that goes around my neighborhood. A 2 mile "loop" many folks walk during the day. One of the topics that came up was some folks were noticing quite a bit of dog poop around the neighborhood.

The very next day I am sitting on my couch. I see a female jog by with a dog. The dog stops for a few seconds and does his thing. Female keeps jogging. I go outside to see if the dog pooped, or just peed. There's a fresh pile of dog crap, about 12 inches from another, older pile and 25 feet from 2 more piles near the end of my driveway. I do not have any pets.

The jogger is now 200' or so away. I yell, "Hey, you forgot to clean up after your dog!". She tells me, "I'll be back later." Yeah...sure. I go into an expletive laced tirade about I don't shit on your lawn, don't shit on mine. How she is a "disgrace" for not cleaning up after her dog. Man I was pissed off.

About 45 mins later 4 people show up in a car. Turns out she was 13! UGH! All 4 (mom, dad, younger brother and her) get out of the car. She gets out and cleans up the fresh pile, but leaves the older pile that is a foot away (and looks like it came from the exact same type of dog).

Her father expected me to apologize for swearing at his daughter. Well, that didn't happen and dad I get into an argument as well. Me yelling that I don't shit in his yard, etc... A very bad scene. I am actually kind of embarrassed it happened. I tell him I have 4 fucking piles of dog shit on the edge of my lawn and I don't even have a fucking dog! He tells me the other 3 piles are "not from his dog".

2 days later I go to the grocery store and pick up several pieces of fluorescent pink poster board and made some signs. 3 signs were placed above the 3 remaining piles of dog shit with an arrow pointing down that read, "PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG!!!".

My yard also has a station of about 7 "community mailboxes" and I stapled a sign up made of the same fluorescent pink poster board and black Sharpie that read, "BE RESPECTFUL, CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG!!!!" Big Grin

2 days later I was sitting on my couch again and I see mom and lil brother walking up the street. They stop and pick up the pile of dog shit that was next to the pile I saw the dog leave. After they left I went up and noticed the other 2 piles were gone as well. I took my signs down.

I think the 13 YO got the hint. In retrospect, my method could have been better...a lot better. Had I known the girl was 13 I would not have cursed at her from afar, but it really pissed me off when she said she'd be back later. I think I found the source of the dog shit the neighbors were complaining about. Funny, I haven't seen her jogging by my house since that happened.

Looking at your poll, #4 is what I did, but I voted #3, a little more adult-like. Big Grin

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Returning the lost items to the original owners has always worked for me. They seem to keep better track of their stuff after that.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Show them the high definition video of them and their dog. Offer to return it in the future.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is always option #2.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post