SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mucking out the chicken coop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mucking out the chicken coop Login/Join 
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted
Hot, sweaty, dusty, smelly unappreciated job and the chickens don’t say a peep of thanks. Dumb clucks.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I feel ya.

I really need to wear a dust mask, but when I do it steams up my glasses to the point that I can't see what I'm doing.

I usually just wait for a damp day to keep the dust down.

Clean nests resulting in fewer crap-covered eggs and a growing compost pile are my rewards. The hens could give a shit...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I tie on a wet bandanna bank robber style, does not fog the glasses as bad.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You guys are doing it all wrong. I trained our chickens to poop in a bucket next to the henhouse.

Now that that lie is off the list, we have a handy man that does the bulk of the dirty and heavy work around the place for room and board. At our age it's the perfect solution for both him and us.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
You guys are doing it all wrong. I trained our chickens to poop in a bucket next to the henhouse.

Jim

I made the mistake of making a flat-topped nesting box for the boids. They roost on top of it and crap all over it. I have a 5 gallon bucket on one end and I scrape it off with a flat-nose shovel and when the bucket is full, dump it on the compost pile.

They DO however, crap in their water dish quite handily...

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Jim

I made the mistake of making a flat-topped nesting box for the boids. They roost on top of it and crap all over it. I have a 5 gallon bucket on one end and I scrape it off with a flat-nose shovel and when the bucket is full, dump it on the compost pile.

They DO however, crap in their water dish quite handily...

Yeah, chickens poop wherever and whenever they please and nothing will change that fact. If it wasn't for the fresh eggs they'd be used for chicken noodle soup.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If you think chickens are bad, try ducks. They have to be the worst of the egg layers. Fill up their pool, they crap in it as soon as they get it cleaned. Dump it out everyday and the bottom 2" are all duck poop. Their coop is worse, I used an ice scrapper and a feed shove to clean it out and then hose the rest the best I could. I had them for 7 years and 2 weeks ago was able to get someone to take all 13. Eggs were always covered in crap.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
BTDT for several years growing up. Had 100 laying hens for selling eggs to local grocery stores. For some reason dad said to kill them off, a few each night, dress them out and freeze them. We had a lot of chicken based meals for a while. Later he bought 100 chicks which were raised to fryer size and butchered for the freezer.

And, yes, cleaning all the chicken shit out of the chicken house was not a pleasant task, especially in the summer.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Just be glad you didn't raise pigs!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:

My grandfather did! When they got big enough we would butcher them. Lots of work, and not necessarily all that pleasant.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel ya.

I really need to wear a dust mask, but when I do it steams up my glasses to the point that I can't see what I'm doing.

I usually just wait for a damp day to keep the dust down.

Clean nests resulting in fewer crap-covered eggs and a growing compost pile are my rewards. The hens could give a shit...

I can’t help with the crappy job of chicken coop mucking, but I can help with the fogging glasses issue.

Instead of buying the super cheap dust masks spring for a N95 or even a N99 “respirator”. They look like a dust mask,but have a check valve and also the number is indicative of the % of dust they stop.

We had to wear them in BSL3 labs when working on TB instruments, while also wearing safety glasses and tyvek bunny suits. My glasses never fogged due to my breath would exit the check valve and they had a gasket type material that seals to your face that prevents leakage.

You might need to try different shapes till you find one that works, and long facial hair is a no no. Once you’ve used one that works though you’ll never go back to a “dust mask”

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Hmmmmm...we may have identified the problem...

Big Grin

I've tried the N95's and yup, the face fur is a problem.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my parents paid me 10¢ to scrape the dung off the hen house floor with a hoe and shovel. Hard hot work in the Missouri summertime. But I could buy a lemon coke at the drugstore soda fountain with that shiny silver dime!

ETA – And the ammonia stench! No cross ventilation in that hen house. Dad used the scraped out poop to fertilize the garden.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:

We raised pigs a number of years ago and yeah, cleaning up their pen wasn't fun, especially in the heat of summer. That said, they provided us with the best pork we've ever had. There was a father and son butcher shop close by that did the cut and wrapping and smoking of the meat. Their smokehouse won awards and let me say, they were well deserved. Best bacon and hams we've ever had, bar none.

Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmmmmm...we may have identified the problem...

Big Grin

I've tried the N95's and yup, the face fur is a problem.

Well just keep growning it, and pretty soon it should filter the dust out all on its own Big Grin

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Well just keep growning it, and pretty soon it should filter the dust out all on its own Big Grin

Does a pretty good job on cookies... Razz

I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that that lie is off the list, we have a handy man that does the bulk of the dirty and heavy work around the place for room and board. At our age it's the perfect solution for both him and us.

Jim

Ha, you must be the chicken whisperer! Our chickens are most certainly the dumbest creatures on the planet, perhaps the universe if there is extraterrestrial life...

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hate that smell. Commercial chicken barns reek.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a cheep task to complete

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

[URL= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a4jRTZ5Kyo]Dirty Jobs - Mike Rowe at the egg farm[/URL]

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post