SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    iOS 13, how I despise thee...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iOS 13, how I despise thee... Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Okay, firstly I'll have to admit that if my place of employment didn't require me to have a smartphone, I wouldn't have a smart phone.

So I reluctantly downgraded to the new iOS 13 yesterday and I have all these perky suggestions on how I can behave like a horny 12 year old chasing the latest boy band through the mall. How wonderful it is and all that other stuff that makes me want to hurl. Then I tried to read a quick news update. In the previous iOS, I had 'smart invert' enabled and the text was white and the background was black. Now it seems that 'dark mode' is a piss poor excuse for the color inversion allowed in the previous iOS. The white background is too bright when reading in the dark, but that is what I get with dark mode. Same with light mode active and smart invert turned on.

My was wondering if there any way to get rid of the dark/light mode bullshit and go back to the previous version of smart invert?

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Are you saying you don't have a black background with white text when in dark mode? Something is definitely wrong if that's the case, because that's how it is when in dark mode for me.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dark mode seems to be working most everywhere until I use the News app and open any article. Smart Invert worked within the News app, but Dark mode does not.

It seems that in iOS 13, the smart invert option is now just another way to enable dark mode. I'm out of ideas. Confused

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Try this.

Go to Settings

Go to Accessibility

Go to Display & Text Size

Scroll down and turn on Classic Invert

If your problem is night time, try turning on Night Shift in Display and Brightness. You'll have to set up Start and Stop times.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
An marked improvement.

Looks like Light Mode and Classic Invert is the least amount of glare that I'm going to get out of this thing.

I can live with the screwy inverted pictures more than the white background for now.

I think my other ideas about a big hammer or some half inch bullets would make it difficult to place a call later.

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Apple's good about not actually getting rid of anything, but they'll damn sure change the name, and put it in a different place.

I read books, on my iPad, when I go to bed. I really like the black background, and white text, so I leave light mode on, and have Night Shift turn on at bedtime, and stay on all night. Night Shift turns off at 6:00 which is the time I usually get out of bed.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The thing about iOS 13 that annoys me the most is that Notes is now a PITA to use. Often I find it hard to “select” a word if a URL is near it – the URL launches instead. Other Notes issues too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Often I find it hard to “select” a word if a URL is near it

The "hold spacebar to select text" option they added works perfectly for this doesn't it? Can move up, down, backwards, etc.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well after a day or so, looks like I've lost this one. Had the color inversion on, then wanted a black background. Took a picture of a light just before the camera would adjust, but then realized if I had set it this way, I wouldn't be able to read the clock.

Looks like the only thing I can do is just deal with the glare and give my eyes time to adjust at night, or buy a iOS 12 device and use it instead.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
One advantage of dark mode is the battery savings if you have a device with an OLED screen. In dark mode, the battery life is amazing using dark mode on my 11 pro.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I miss Steve Jobs....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Upgrading to iOS 13 was one of the biggest premature mistakes I've made with my iPhone X. I've had to hard reset the phone several times because several of the apps would not work correctly, or freeze up. Plus went I first purchased the iPhone X if I remember before I upgraded to iOS 13 was iOS 12 something and when I hit the side power on button the Apple logo started immediately and the phone was fast to start up. Now with the iOS 13 I have to press and hold the side power up button for 5 or 6 seconds before the white Apple logo initiates start up..

Has anybody jumped past iOS 13 to another OS that works without all the glitches?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Another little nugget I found out today:

iOS12 will let you turn your phone sideways and it helps for reading and allows for bigger pictures in news articles.
pOS13 just lets you turn your phone sideways.

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
You might want to make sure your rotation isn't locked. I turn mine sideways all the time, to make things easier to read.

Swipe up from the bottom. On the left side there is an icon that looks like a padlock with an arrowed circle around it. If the icon is white, and the padlock red, the rotation is locked.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

iOS12 will let you turn your phone sideways and it helps for reading and allows for bigger pictures in news articles.

I had the same smart invert issue. It’s still screwy.

But yeah, Brotien Shake, you could always view stuff sideways.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not clear on what you're talking about. I turn my phone sideways and it does what it's always done.

E.g.: SF, on my phone, is nearly unreadable in "portrait mode." Turn the phone sideways, and, voilà, the text gets bigger.

There's no question Apple screwed the pooch with iOS 13, but it hasn't really affected my wife's or my use of either our phones or our tablets very much. There are some annoyances: Sure. But no show-stoppers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, I checked the portrait orientation lock and it is off and shows the white open padlock in a black background.

I don't know how they got it so wrong. Maybe the thing is just bad or didn't load the pOS13 properly? Guess I'll need to check the terms and conditions of the warranty before I drop it. Wink

Thanks everyone for your helping me with this.

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I did an update one time, don't remember which one it was, and my GPS quit working. Everything else was working fine, just screwed up my GPS. I'd open up maps, and it would show me somewhere in Utah. Called the Apple help line and, after they verified I had a backup, they had me reset the phone, reload the operating system, and restore my backup. GPS worked great after that.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, I checked the portrait orientation lock and it is off and shows the white open padlock in a black background.

I don't know how they got it so wrong. Maybe the thing is just bad or didn't load the pOS13 properly? Guess I'll need to check the terms and conditions of the warranty before I drop it. Wink

Thanks everyone for your helping me with this.
  • Make a backup. Use iCloud, or iTunes, but make a backup.

• Check to see if you have the most current release of iOS. If not, then download and install it.

• If you do have the most current release, you might try to reload it. Probably requires resetting the phone to factory default in order to reload it, that's why you made a backup.

• Get help from Apple. It's free. You could go to an Apple store if there's one near you -- make an appointment on the "Support" page of the apple.com website. Or initiate a chat session from that web page, do this on a computer or something other than the phone that has the problem. Or, use a different phone to call 800 MY APPLE to speak with support person.
Before you do anything else, let's try the stupidly simple thing: My iPad refused to rotate the screen. A simple re-boot solved the problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Finally came across a truly unhandy iOS 13 "improvement": When I'm on a WiFi login screen I can no longer task-switch to anything else--including my keyring. Stupid.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post