SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate "Woke" menus!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate "Woke" menus! Login/Join 
posted
We love to eat out. Recently, we travelled out of town to see a movie, which required both breakfast and lunch out. Breakfast was an adventure. I avoid massive carbs due to diabetes. I spent 15 minutes scanning the menu before I found bacon, eggs, toast and hash browns ( at least, a reasonable facsimile of such.) The rest of the menu was thickly laden with kale, truffle frittatas, ribs awash in Hollandaise sauce, avocado toast, organic this, kale that, more hipster crap than I could stand. Lunch was at a larger place I have eaten at before, but the menu had gone all hipster as well. I do not want quinoa in my "enlightened" tacos, or shrimp in guacamole sauce in a tortilla, or barbacoa eggs, or kale anything. Please, just a damn hamburger, with cheese. No mayo. No fancy cheesy sauces. No truffles. No avocado. No kale.

Why can't these restaurants have one or two normal items on the menu?

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
And on the flip side of the coin: tourists who come into Jerkwater’s main greasy spoon diner (roughly equivalent to a Waffle House) and ask the waitress if they have “gluten free menu items”.

This is the place that isn’t aware there’s a difference between butter and margarine. They’ve never even heard of gluten. Ain’t got no kale, either.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
We love to eat out. Recently, we travelled out of town to see a movie, which required both breakfast and lunch out. Breakfast was an adventure. I avoid massive carbs due to diabetes. I spent 15 minutes scanning the menu before I found bacon, eggs, toast and hash browns ( at least, a reasonable facsimile of such.) The rest of the menu was thickly laden with kale, truffle frittatas, ribs awash in Hollandaise sauce, avocado toast, organic this, kale that, more hipster crap than I could stand. Lunch was at a larger place I have eaten at before, but the menu had gone all hipster as well. I do not want quinoa in my "enlightened" tacos, or shrimp in guacamole sauce in a tortilla, or barbacoa eggs, or kale anything. Please, just a damn hamburger, with cheese. No mayo. No fancy cheesy sauces. No truffles. No avocado. No kale.

Why can't these restaurants have one or two normal items on the menu?

First Watch?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I was totally with you until the 'barbacoa eggs'. I need to hear more about them before passing judgement.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, First Watch. The waitress sucked, too. They bill per item, more or less. My wife asked for an added muffin. She got the muffin, but not her toast. We would have asked the waitress, had we seen her again. Another brought our check, and we complained at checkout. The dumb asses brought us a to-go box with two pieces of buttered toast.

As far as "gluten-free" goes, when I worked at Panera someone would ask for gluten-free bread every day. Dude, it's a BAKERY. Do you actually know what gluten is? You can make gluten free bread with rice flour, but it sucks.

And about Panera-NEVER order their "grilled" cheese. It's not grilled, its toasted in an oven, and the cheese sucks.

Sooner or later I'm going to be restricted to a hot dog cart on Main Street, at least until they come up with their meatless organic free range kale dog.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’m up for trying almost anything new in a restaurant. I don’t care if it is “woke” or not. It’s either good or not.

My first exposure to avocado toast was in Golden, CO. It was a salad version that was amazing. It was simple, fresh, and healthy. I make it at home know.

Kale just isn't that good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kale just isn't that good.

It's better sauteed in coconut oil. Makes it easier to scrape from the pan into the trash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Don't know how to shrink this. Menus with Haggis, black pudding, cajun chicken, liver pate, chips, battered and breaded chicken or fish, sausage
rarebit. Other than lamb fries seems like they have it all covered.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky that I live in a small township. We have 2 small diners that serve breakfast, lunch and supper. Both are very good with no surprises on the menu.
I've been to some that serve different things with avacado and other things that I normally don't eat and it's been alright but I'll take a greasy spoon diner with a flat top grill any day.
Eggs, bacon, burgers, sausage gravy, home fries and all.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.amcafeup.com
One of my favorite eateries here in the Yoop. No surprises. Just great food.
The ambiance is.... abandoned gas station!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, the Temple Sowerby and A&M menus both look great! Sausage and cucumber baguette is interesting. And Fish 'n' Chips, of course! Cambria seems a bit further, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
And on the flip side of the coin: tourists who come into Jerkwater’s main greasy spoon diner (roughly equivalent to a Waffle House) and ask the waitress if they have “gluten free menu items”.

This is the place that isn’t aware there’s a difference between butter and margarine. They’ve never even heard of gluten. Ain’t got no kale, either.

^^^^^^^^^
Lots of character in those places. I remember places where the waitress figures your bill in pencil on the counter, and then wipes it off with a little spit and sticks the pencil behind her ear. Kind of like this:

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
One of my all-time favorite restaurants was a little place called Dot's in DeKalb, IL. It was a breakfast place, open from about 4am to 10am, and they did not even have menus.

If anyone asked for a menu, Dot just growled at them and said "You don't need a menu. We serve eggs. Just tell me how you want them done, if you want bacon or sausage, and if you want white or wheat toast. You ready to order?" Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please, just a damn hamburger, with cheese. No mayo.

Hey now, why drag decent mayo into all this??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I don't even go into places like that. Big Grin

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Well, there is always the kids menu Smile

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have gone with the kids menu if they had one. No high chairs, either. Wife did try to put the bib on me, though. Big Grin

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as "gluten-free" goes, when I worked at Panera someone would ask for gluten-free bread every day. Dude, it's a BAKERY. Do you actually know what gluten is? You can make gluten free bread with rice flour, but it sucks.

I’ll have to argue slightly with you here. Take a spin down to Gluten Free Miracles one day during your lunch break it is just a couple blocks from the shop.
You’ll be amazed what they can do without Gluten. Granted it will cost you.
We had to do a full elimination diet with the middle boy when ruling out some health issues and we got a ton of stuff there that much to my surprise was amazingly delicious.
Donuts, cookies, bread, cinnamon rolls, brownies, pizza, cupcakes, muffins. Sure somethings were better than others but nothing I had there was bad.
The muffins were likely my favorite.
Fortunately gluten nor any other dietary thing was not the issue. Unfortunately we still don’t know what is causing his issues. The polyp on his colon that was removed has done away with 90% of the issues I’d say but still battling some.

As for First Watch, MEH. Wild Eggs is much better.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Those restraunts are usually as expensive as hell, and worse than that you are often still hungry after the 'meal'.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post