SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate "Woke" menus!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate "Woke" menus! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was talking to the owner of my favorite rib joint. The menu is simple. Ribs, chicken, brisket, links. Sides are beans, greens, potato salad, mac and cheese. She said some lady came in asking if there were any vegan options. She said “baby, I don’t even know what that means. We have barbecue here.”

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you're looking to be offended.

Let me get this straight:
1) You didn't like the menu yet you ordered from it
2) You didn't like the service yet you still placed an order from them
3) There were assumedly other food options nearby that would serve you what you wanted, all a Yelp search and short drive away.

At any point you could have put the menu down, thanked the waitress, and walked out.

Welcome to capitalism. Where companies try to adjust their product for maximum profit. If more people are drinking kale smoothies for breakfast then I'd expect a generic place like First Watch to offer them -- it's their business model to cater to the median.

Seems to me like you wanted a diner. Should just go to one next time and get what you want.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try traveling with someone that has food allergies & special dietary needs. My husband does. My family lives in the middle of nowhere & we usually drive, 6 states away. I am getting ready to go visit them soon. My husband asked if I wanted him to go. I flat out said "No". It's always an issue trying to get food he can eat, it's a pain in the ass to bring all the food with us, & I know it's frustrating to the rest of them so we can't eat at our "favorite" places unless he eats ahead of time or brings his own food. So it's not always as easy as "eat somewhere else". Even the tiny grocery stores around where my family lives don't carry the types of food he needs. It's aggravating for all involved when it's a true medical neccessity & options are very slim.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

First Watch?
Oh man, I love that place. But...I also knew what I was getting into the first time I set foot in there.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I like “woke” menus. Or whatever that means.

Sometimes its nice to have options other than the same old breakfast all the time.

If I’m a hipster in regard to food, oh well, it’s delicious.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wondered if you were talking about First Watch when I read your OP.

We have several in this area, and I have been to one of them twice. The second time was to take my wife just to show her what bad food and service was. The place was fairly busy both times I was there, and the service was pretty awful. Never saw the waitress after ordering until she brought the check either time. Food was awful. Presentations was depressing (small amount of food on a big plate), the turkey sausage looked as if it was ground and then formed by stepping on it and the eggs were cool.

I don't plan to ever set foot in a First Watch again.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Hell, I didn't even know what "woke" meant until I looked it up a couple of weeks ago. What's wrong with using plain English?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What, in the name of Escoffier, is wrong with Hollandaise sauce?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
First Watch?
AHA!!! I posted a rant in the "Restaurant Rant" thread about "The Egg and I". I had forgotten that moronic place converted to "First Watch". Yeah...I get it now.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
Try traveling with someone that has food allergies & special dietary needs. My husband does. My family lives in the middle of nowhere & we usually drive, 6 states away. I am getting ready to go visit them soon. My husband asked if I wanted him to go. I flat out said "No". It's always an issue trying to get food he can eat, it's a pain in the ass to bring all the food with us, & I know it's frustrating to the rest of them so we can't eat at our "favorite" places unless he eats ahead of time or brings his own food. So it's not always as easy as "eat somewhere else". Even the tiny grocery stores around where my family lives don't carry the types of food he needs. It's aggravating for all involved when it's a true medical neccessity & options are very slim.

I know firsthand what that is like. My Cardiologist has me on a low fat diet, been on that since 1990 and especially since my X3 bypass in January '98.

Usually not a problem for a slight tweaking of how food is prepared but for some restaurants you would think that I'm asking for the world at my feet.

For all the comments and jokes we make about Waffle House NEVER did I have a problem with one despite usually wall to wall customers. Another one is Cracker Barrel, very helpful with menu tweaks. That was always a concern when I was working on the road selling hot rod parts several years ago.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
if you want white or wheat toast.

So …, isn’t their “white” toast made with wheat? Gluten free after all?
Sorry, that has been one of my minor peeves ever since people stopped using the term “whole wheat” to describe the brown stuff. Wink

And as for what’s on the menu, or isn’t, what would we think if we went into a gun shop to look at a Glock, and the owner said, “Glocks are crap, and I don’t sell them. You want a Glock, go down the street”? Successful businesses cater to their customers. Attempting to be too accommodating can be unprofitable, so there are limits, but determining what is and isn’t is part of being a business owner or manager.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you kind of have to hold you nose in that place.

Grub is pretty good, but if you can't tell what you are getting walking through the door, you should really up your street-IQ.

Thankfully in the south, if you want simple breakfast you just go to the awful waffle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thankfully in the south, if you want simple breakfast you just go to the awful waffle

^^^^^
No thanks. There are five to choose from here within a mile of my office. I will say one thing they are the first to open after a hurricane. They also stay open until the last second before the storm hits.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Hipsters make delicious food (except when they are butchering an impression of ethnic foods). Plenty of reasons to hate on hipsters, but going above and beyond on food isn't one of them.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What, in the name of Escoffier, is wrong with Hollandaise sauce?

Agreed, along with its sister, Béarnaise sauce, and nothing compares to freshly made. Either pairs well with all sorts of things from steaks to vegetables.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I've had some pretty good meals and service at First Watch. Yea, the menu is definitely "Woke." I always have to tell them, no, I don't want salad with my eggs. Give me the taters!

I will say, for a woke place, they have pretty good bacon.

I can't stand kale and quinoa and that crap. But if some folks like it, fine with me.

FW is a bit on the expensive side. Give me a local, hash-slinging diner any day.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I prefer the "Nap" menus, that's the place you go eat breakfast/brunch then go home and take a nap..

Mason Jar Umatilla FL,

You hear "Hey Grandpa, whats fer breakfast!" when you walk in the door.....

Country Ham Steak as big a plate,
two eggs over on the sunny side,
grits with butter and hot home fries,
sausage biscuits covered in gravy
just like pappy had in the Navy
toast with jam that'l be the lot
Hot coffee and juice to hit the spot!

Ummmmmmm! UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Don't know how to shrink this. Menus with Haggis, black pudding, cajun chicken, liver pate, chips, battered and breaded chicken or fish, sausage
rarebit. Other than lamb fries seems like they have it all covered.

[IMG]http://www.kingsarmstemplesowerby.co.uk/downloads/Kings-Arms-Menu---Lunch-Front.jpg[IMG]

before passing judgment, I would need to see what cask ale they have at the bar

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Kale just isn't that good.

It's better sauteed in coconut oil. Makes it easier to scrape from the pan into the trash.

I just laughed myself out of my chair onto the floor! Smile

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post