SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Some people shouldn't be allowed to have nice things.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have nice things. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
A couple of years ago, I sold off 3/4 of my guns to fund the new tractor. Among them was a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge.

Seeing as I didn't expect to replace it, I also sold the MEC 600JR reloader for 20 gauge. Or so I thought...

Went to reload some 12 gauge and realized I'd dismounted and sold the wrong friggin' reloader. Fortunately, I'd sold it to a guy that works at the boat shop my daughter is Office Manager for. Had her speak with him and he was willing to swap the 12 gauge loader back to me in exchange for the 20 gauge loader I meant to sell him in the first place.

Went and made the exchange today. Apparently, the loader I sold him sat on the floor in a wet basement the whole time. Rust everywhere. I was pissed, but it was his loader and he could do with it as he pleased. It was complete and still worked, it had just been totally neglected. So I said fuck it and made the swap.

I've spent the afternoon totally disassembling it, de-rusting, buffing, lubing and reassembling, shaking my head at the neglect the whole while.

No doubt the pristine 20 gauge loader will suffer the same fate.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
BTW, if you're...ummmmm...chronlogically challenged like I am, don't bullshit yourself thinking "This is simple, I'll remember how it goes back together."

Even after finding an exploded parts view on the innerwebz I had to do a couple of things twice to get it right. Roll Eyes

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Case in point - GF 22 year old son.

I gave him a NRA knife, which he broke blade trying to open a paint can lid.

Gave him a 1971 Yugo SKS which he managed to jam the action and break firing pin. Took to gunsmith to fix. He paid.

Gave him a nice Seiko watch with box, warranty card and IB, which he now says he can't find.

Gave him a nice used Beretta PX4 storm subcompact for his 21 year birthday. He says he still has it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
BTW, if you're...ummmmm...chronlogically challenged like I am, don't bullshit yourself thinking "This is simple, I'll remember how it goes back together."

Even after finding an exploded parts view on the innerwebz I had to do a couple of things twice to get it right. Roll Eyes

I admit my cellphone camera gets a lot of use for pre-disassembly shots these days. "Ah, yes, that's where this thingamabob went."

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

I admit my cellphone camera gets a lot of use for pre-disassembly shots these days. "Ah, yes, that's where this thingamabob went."

I was actually thinking as I was taking it apart "I should probably take a couple of pictures of this..." But noooooooooooooo, I got this... Frown

Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. The cell phone camera gets a lot of use when working on things these days.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
So how does it now look after you cleaned it up?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

Well, the painted base should really be stripped and repainted, but all the rust is gone and everything is slicked up nice.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I tore apart an electric trolling motor about three weeks ago, thinking I would order the parts the same week. Nope. Still hasn't happened. I foresee some head-scratchin' when I finally get to reassembling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: safespot,

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wait a minute....
aren't you the guy that gets bored , every other month ?
( https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/1040057634 )

Big Grin
so really , you might want to buy him lunch, sometime Big Grin

admit it , you were looking for something to fiddle with , anyway

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

Well, the painted base should really be stripped and repainted, but all the rust is gone and everything is slicked up nice.

Glad to hear that beside the paint, you got it back in shape.
A few years ago at Christmas, my wife bought me a new air compressor. A younger neighbor across the street didn't have a compressor so I gave him my older working compressor. It sat under his roof eve the rest of the winter, and by spring was no longer useable.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
wonder what the 1100 looks like....

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
wonder what the 1100 looks like....

All the guns went to a used gun/gold/silver/stamps/swords/militaria dealer I've dealt with for many years.

I spent an afternoon on Gunbroker finding several equivalents for each, averaged the prices, subtracted 30% for his markup and came up with a total for everything. He looked them all over and came up with a total within 2% of my estimate. We disagreed over the value of my Winchester 75 Target, so I kept that and he handed me an envelope full of cash for the rest.