SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fellow Motorcyclists - I think I need an intervention
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fellow Motorcyclists - I think I need an intervention Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The new windscreen is not Sigforum quality, and is for sale on the K1600 forum. Silent, yes. Visually clear, no. My intervention ride today was sadly unsatisfying.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After an amazingly bad ordeal with one dealer, Grand Rapids BMW put me on a new intervention device. F850GS.
And zero percent financing.
I rode my old bike from MQT to Grayling where the dealer met me. I rode the new bike home.
500 mile round trip in 13 hours.
That was an all day intervention!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hope it serves you well.
I was at the local dealer Saturday &window shopping. They had a new S1RR, pretty extreme, though less of a committed position compared to the Moto2 Triumph Daytona they have (they have 3 of the 765 total limited edition).

I was pretty smitten with the Triumph Street Twin they had, but will keep on riding the Vulcan for a while.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
After an amazingly bad ordeal with one dealer, Grand Rapids BMW put me on a new intervention device. F850GS.
And zero percent financing.
I rode my old bike from MQT to Grayling where the dealer met me. I rode the new bike home.
500 mile round trip in 13 hours.
That was an all day intervention!

Good Deal, Yoops!

We'll need pictures...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S1000RR? 205 HP and 435 pounds? Way too much ball for my alley.
But a short ride might be nice!

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, no go for me.
In my dad's words: "I'm too stupid to ride something that fast"

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
S1000RR? 205 HP and 435 pounds? Way too much ball for my alley.
But a short ride might be nice!

That’s crank HP not to the wheel but yes a lot of power. But on the S1KRR it’s mostly at the top of the range. Canyons, Mountains, Twisties, you need midrange. Once they hit 150 wheel years and years ago, it was all you needed. I think my SP2 (RC51) was 130 to the wheel but had gobs of torque and it was all I needed. My crossplane R1 is 170 HP to the rear wheel and I’d like to have 10 more but it’s plenty.

Best deals is lightly used, a few years old. Enough power, all the goodies you need. Me, I just don’t want TC or any electronics. All I needed or wanted was a gear indicator on the dash, and a mechanical slipper clutch. I’m very happy my bikes are void of electronic nannies. I think one of the RSV4’s, used is the killer deal. I’ve seen them at 10k with Ohlins on them, and that’s a steal and the best motor on the market.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a choice to get the F850 GS or the GSA with all the electronic stuff.
I went with the simpler bike. Just ride modes and ABS.
I do miss my Shift Assist. That was habit forming.

posted Hide Post
I just started riding again this year after about 4 years of not at all.
I keep having back issues. One year it was knees.

I feel a lot better this year and so I did some riding.

Make sure you ride for fun, not because you think you have to!
Go have fun now.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Other than being toodamnhot, today is ideal. Little breeze, few puffy clouds, nothing in particular on the schedule.

Perfect day for a ride, right?

Can't be bothered. Eek

Dug out the Maine Atlas (DeLorme) and looked for a road I haven't ridden to death. Nothing that's not an hour plus away just to get to new(ish) territory. No place I want to go to see or do something, tired of riding the same old roads all the time. If it was cooler, maybe, but the thought of getting all geared up and slogging for an hour to MAYBE find an interesting road tires me out just thinking about it.

Easier to sit here in my computer chair in front of the fan and bitch about it.

This ain't right.

I get it. Last year I only put about 600 miles on my bike. Waning interest in the same old roads tempered interest in gearing up and slogging that heavy bike ('16 FJR1300) out of the garage and into the heat.

Turns out what I needed was less an attitude adjustment or new roads to ride, but rather a new bike. At the end of this riding season, I'll have put on more miles this summer on the new 2020 R1250R that I bought in May than the FJR in the three previous years combined, and I'm dreading putting it into winter hibernation. The FJR was a great bike, but its sport-touring focus on long distance comfort wasn't the right bike for me or the kind of curvy country weekend riding I do 95% of the time. I needed less weight, more nimble handling, and a bike that made motorcycling fun again...this one delivered in spades.

Admittedly, it's a drastic solution, but one that definitely worked for me.

No longer have a pic hosting site I use, so will borrow this photo of the same bike I own (Exclusive model in Pollux, which is a satin-like dark matte green):

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
the R12R is a good looking bike, really like the R12RS, but they're a bit eye-watering pricey for my budget.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
The FJR was a great bike, but its sport-touring focus on long distance comfort wasn't the right bike for me or the kind of curvy country weekend riding I do 95% of the time. I needed less weight, more nimble handling, and a bike that made motorcycling fun again...

My Yamaha FJ09 IS that bike. Definitely weighted toward the "sport" side of sport touring. A suitably twisty road is so much fun on that thing, it's probably illegal.

I did a road trip with the truck and trailer today on a failed mission to bring home a vertical mill (another story...) and the first thing I thought was "Dang, this road would be fun on the bike!"

Of course, the hour and a half of superslab to GET to that road takes a lot of the fun out of it. All of it, actually. Frown

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
From my garage a round trip to Estes park, CO and back is just over an hour. The canyon roads through the Rockies are some of the most fun I've ever ridden.
My Z650 seems to have been custom made for that particular trip.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get it. Last year I only put about 600 miles on my bike. Waning interest in the same old roads tempered interest in gearing up and slogging that heavy bike ('16 FJR1300) out of the garage and into the heat.

Turns out what I needed was less an attitude adjustment or new roads to ride, but rather a new bike. At the end of this riding season, I'll have put on more miles this summer on the new 2020 R1250R that I bought in May than the FJR in the three previous years combined, and I'm dreading putting it into winter hibernation. The FJR was a great bike, but its sport-touring focus on long distance comfort wasn't the right bike for me or the kind of curvy country weekend riding I do 95% of the time. I needed less weight, more nimble handling, and a bike that made motorcycling fun again...this one delivered in spades.

Admittedly, it's a drastic solution, but one that definitely worked for me.

Same could be said of ex wives and girlfriends LOL

What's the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt", same roads, same bike, same old same. Current unpleasantness hasn't helped either since it's difficult to find places you can ride to in some states.

Haven't really put the miles on this year either, bought a new set of tires for the RG since time was it was on schedule, this was back in March/April, and I'm still not down to needing to put them on.

I need a vacation....trip....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
The FJR was a great bike, but its sport-touring focus on long distance comfort wasn't the right bike for me or the kind of curvy country weekend riding I do 95% of the time. I needed less weight, more nimble handling, and a bike that made motorcycling fun again...

My Yamaha FJ09 IS that bike. Definitely weighted toward the "sport" side of sport touring. A suitably twisty road is so much fun on that thing, it's probably illegal.

The FJ09 is its newest form, the 2020 Yamaha Tracer GT, was actually one of the bikes I was considering before choosing the BMW R1250R.Smile Well, it and the BMW F900XR, but ultimately decided that the taller ADV stance of both bikes just wasn't what I was looking for this time around, though the air protection and hardbag option was undeniably attractive, coming from the FJR and liking that comfort package. As you mention, they were both definitively on the Sport end of Sport Touring, so they were close to what I was after...but just not quite there yet.

I messed around for some time with the idea of the newly-redesigned Ninja 1000SX -- again, hard panniers and screen, plus even sportier -- but the two test rides I took just didn't sell me on it, which was actually a bit of a surprise and disappointment...for a good while there, it was my default bike as it looked great on paper. Just as well, as the insurance on it -- for even a fifty-something homeowner with a clean driving record and 40 years of riding experience -- was absolutely insane. Started considering naked bikes, and looked at the Honda CB1000R, the Yamaha MT10, Ducati Monster 1200, and a few others. All fell short for me in some regard.

Then toward the end of my hunt I moved onto the BMW R1250RS, and the ergonomics were all wrong for me and the handling suffered for it, even though it had everything else going for it. Then I tried its naked roadster brother, the R1250R, and was smitten immediately. No, it doesn't have much wind protection at the moment (have a small flyscreen on it), but I got used to that fast...clean air can be surprisingly quiet and unobtrusive when there's not a big shield chopping it up and buffeting your helmet. But as a sport tourer in disguise, it does have brackets all set for for OEM panniers for whatever touring I might have in mind...may pick those up next year, if I can swallow the $1K price tag.

quote:
I did a road trip with the truck and trailer today on a failed mission to bring home a vertical mill (another story...) and the first thing I thought was "Dang, this road would be fun on the bike!"

Of course, the hour and a half of superslab to GET to that road takes a lot of the fun out of it. All of it, actually. Frown

That would add another obstacle to riding joy. I'm pretty fortunate that my regular riding roads begin about five minutes away from my home and extend for an hour or so in all directions save West, and obviously for many hours if one wants to keep going East. There's a lot to bitch about r.e. Washington State, but where I am in the state I certainly can't complain about my access to hours of great roads...again, made anew and their fun potential reborn with my new bike.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then toward the end of my hunt I moved onto the BMW R1250RS, and the ergonomics were all wrong for me and the handling suffered for it, even though it had everything else going for it. Then I tried its naked roadster brother, the R1250R, and was smitten immediately. No, it doesn't have much wind protection at the moment (have a small flyscreen on it), but I got used to that fast...clean air can be surprisingly quiet and unobtrusive when there's not a big shield chopping it up and buffeting your helmet.

I wound up turning the FJ into a "naked" bike. Took off the wind screen and the hand guards. It's actually quieter that way and a good deal less ugly. Really the only thing I can find to bitch about on the bike is that gaw-doffle "transformer" styling.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
R1250R is a versatile all around motorcycle for commuting or just having fun on twisty roads with. Add a touring shield, hard bags, strap your camping gear on the back seat and rack, and you can head out on your journey.
I guess I have your R1250R's great, great, great, great, grandfather.

R100R

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a fine intervention yesterday:
M28 west to Kenton. Then south on National Forest Rd 16 to US 2. Then back to MQT through Iron River and Crystal Falls. 200 miles. Beautiful early fall day, but chilly. 55 Degrees.
PITA resurfacing projects full of campers and motor homes in spots on M28, but once away from that, beautiful trip!
And I actually got unexpected news from BMW Service. The dealers websites says:
Use Premium Unleaded Only.
BMW Website - Use Premium only.
Owners Manual - Regular Unleaded is fine!
Call the Service Dept. Service Dude says "follow the manual". Yay!
I dont know where you guys are, but here Premium is a buck more a gallon. Significant savings for me. I will still run a tank of ethanol free Premium through the bike prior to winter storage. And smaller Yoop gas stations sometimes dont sell Premium, so my range is extended.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's a clean R100!

Hoping to get in some intervention this weekend. Hoping to get out Sunday morning if the weather holds out.

Luckily, here, the gap between 87 & 93 isn't huge. And the Vulcan get MPGs in the 50s on longer rides if I'm not pushing it. Got 59.3MPG on my last ride.

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful R100R -- thanks for showing me the early lineage of my R1250R. I'm new to the BMW brand (past bikes have either been Japanese or Triumph), so feel a little bit like I'm playing catch-up when it comes to the history of the brand, so it's great to see earlier bikes like this to help fill in the pieces.