SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The New Python QC Issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Python QC Issue Login/Join 
posted
My friend ordered a new Colt Python and it came in yesterday. I went with him to pick it up. The LGS had him open the sealed box, it came straight from the distributer. Before he got the plastic off we could see the large screw on the left was missing, the one with the detent that holds the crane in, I believe. We also saw that the grip screws were buggered, likely with an improperly sized screwdriver. The dealer called Colt, but a 33 minute wait on hold put him into the voicemail center.

We checked the box thoroughly, no screw or detent pin.

Very disappointing.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the dealer should return it to the distributer for a replacement.

Posts: 371 | Location: The once great state of California | Registered: November 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was ordered by the customer and delivered thru the dealer. LGS was being nice. The gun was returned. I'm still wondering how it passed test firing and QC.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is just part of the Pony premium.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, two friends and I were at a gunshop in Lexington last Thursday when the same thing happened. The counter man is a retired police officer that I went to the academy with. He opened the box, the screw was missing, and it was not to be found anywhere in the box.

ETA: Photo credit to my friend, Chuck D, who posted it on FB.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
Interestingly, two friends and I were at a gunshop in Lexington last Thursday when the same thing happened. ... He opened the box, the screw was missing, and it was not to be found anywhere in the box.

Screw the missing screw: Look at upper-left corner of the frame in that photo. WTAF?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Classic, by any chance?

Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Classic, by any chance?

Yes

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Look at upper-left corner of the frame in that photo. WTAF?

If you are referring to the finish, it actually wasn't that bad. There is a healthy dose of grease on it that is making it look discolored. It was easier to see before I resized the photo.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Look at upper-left corner of the frame in that photo. WTAF?

If you are referring to the finish, it actually wasn't that bad. There is a healthy dose of grease on it that is making it look discolored. It was easier to see before I resized the photo.

I'm talking about the scratches just below the rear sight. They were a lot easier to see before you (thankfully!) resized the photo.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
One must expect such issues after the death of Terry Jones

BTW how was Classic correctly suspected and singled out?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
A shame really. Though I already have a near mint older Python, I had hopes that these new ones would be a hit. Missing screws? Thats a big QC issue and can't image being shipped missing that big of an item. Somethings up.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Somethings up.

Yeah, Colt is involved.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That’s amazing.
Is Colt having labor troubles?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what their deal is, but I called their "customer service" number this morning and got a recording; "our customer service line has been disconnected due to high call volume". The hell?!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a part time employee there. It may have been the same gun. I had a couple of weeks off. Anybody stops by, my actual name is Frank.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
I don't know what their deal is, but I called their "customer service" number this morning and got a recording; "our customer service line has been disconnected due to high call volume". The hell?!

That's actually pretty funny when you think about it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
These just seem to be Colt’s Python version of the Expanse...I was hoping for more Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

That's actually pretty funny when you think about it.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had such high hopes. I should have known better. Their 1911's have been looking good, but the revolvers.....not so much.