SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do a good job, get rewarded with more work
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Do a good job, get rewarded with more work Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Never display competence at something you don’t want to do.


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 14326 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
First employee I had ever fired on the spot:
Popular guy, worked in the field as installer. Two man team. We had several projects come due in the same time frame, so I gave the employees the old "110%" speech. This employee spoke up and said he was already giving 100% and RESENTED being asked to work harder. Said I was actually saying that he was not working at 100% and insulting him. He didn't know that I had a received a scheduling call the day before from one of the contractor's field supervisors and was told that I only needed to send one man, not two, as one worked while the other didn't..... Fired him right there in front all the employees. Had he not mouthed off I would have just counseled him about the complaint.


Yeah, the old "give 110% speech". Every time I've heard that little gem it was unnecessary, and every person that I've ever heard utter that bullshit has been a poor manager/supervisor and/or a jackass to boot. Here's hoping you did that employee a favor and he went on to work for a company with better management.




 
Posts: 3884 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
First employee I had ever fired on the spot:
Popular guy, worked in the field as installer. Two man team. We had several projects come due in the same time frame, so I gave the employees the old "110%" speech. This employee spoke up and said he was already giving 100% and RESENTED being asked to work harder. Said I was actually saying that he was not working at 100% and insulting him. He didn't know that I had a received a scheduling call the day before from one of the contractor's field supervisors and was told that I only needed to send one man, not two, as one worked while the other didn't..... Fired him right there in front all the employees. Had he not mouthed off I would have just counseled him about the complaint.


Yeah, the old "give 110% speech". Every time I've heard that little gem it was unnecessary, and every person that I've ever heard utter that bullshit has been a poor manager/supervisor and/or a jackass to boot. Here's hoping you did that employee a favor and he went on to work for a company with better management.


No shit. No one can work 100%

So someone is working as hard as they can and you're surprised he resented being asked to do more?

I mean, isn't that the point of this thread?

You sound like a boss, not a leader.


_____________

Edmond
 
Posts: 9596 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Never display competence at something you don’t want to do.


That sounds like an auxiliary to The Peter Principle. Smile

I went to basic training after my brother was already in. He said I should NEVER volunteer for anything. He said it gets your name known, and the next time you’ll just get called out. Also, volunteering in the infantry can eventually get you killed.

That was good advice, and it served me well in the Army. The only time I volunteered was to save a buddy from the task.



Hannibal ad portas. Carthago delenda est.
 
Posts: 5611 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
First employee I had ever fired on the spot:
Popular guy, worked in the field as installer. Two man team. We had several projects come due in the same time frame, so I gave the employees the old "110%" speech. This employee spoke up and said he was already giving 100% and RESENTED being asked to work harder. Said I was actually saying that he was not working at 100% and insulting him. He didn't know that I had a received a scheduling call the day before from one of the contractor's field supervisors and was told that I only needed to send one man, not two, as one worked while the other didn't..... Fired him right there in front all the employees. Had he not mouthed off I would have just counseled him about the complaint.


Yeah, the old "give 110% speech". Every time I've heard that little gem it was unnecessary, and every person that I've ever heard utter that bullshit has been a poor manager/supervisor and/or a jackass to boot. Here's hoping you did that employee a favor and he went on to work for a company with better management.


No shit. No one can work 100%

So someone is working as hard as they can and you're surprised he resented being asked to do more?

I mean, isn't that the point of this thread?

You sound like a boss, not a leader.
The 110%/100% speech is bullshit, but you both are ignoring that he received a call from a customer saying the guy didn't work the day before. He can obviously do more and was working closer to 0% than 100%. Combined with the big mouth, people like that are absolute poison for workforce morale.



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
 
Posts: 16474 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gave the employees the old "110%" speech

What was the compensation/bonus offered for this extra effort?


"She should make sandwiches for everyone here."
 
Posts: 1173 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Been there done that many, many, many, many, times.
I am now working at a new job part time trying to figure it out.
I look at how to pick up extra shifts every week because that is how my personality is.

The company I am working for now I worked for 10 years ago full time.
Evey time my manager back then asked me to work an extra shift I said yes. I worked over time almost every week.
We worked 4 ten hour days so I averaged 50 hours a week most of the year and during the holidays 60 hours a week.
It definitely made a difference during yearly reviews. I always revived a good raise so my hard work paid off.




The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State



NRA Life Member
 
Posts: 1280 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If my extra effort had any chance of paying off I’d gladly accept my new role.
 
Posts: 11227 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The 110%/100% speech is bullshit, but you both are ignoring that he received a call from a customer saying the guy didn't work the day before. He can obviously do more and was working closer to 0% than 100%. Combined with the big mouth, people like that are absolute poison for workforce morale.


Tator - I misread cne's post to mean that the client only needed one person, not that only one person was doing any work. If the latter is truly the case - and the person fired was the one not working - then, depending on circumstances (workers swapping out to work on job and client only saw one cycle, etc.), the firing may have been justified.

The bs 110% speech is, in my opinion, never justified - unless, of course, the worker is going to be paid 110% of their wages. Extra effort is rarely, if ever, rewarded by the company/mgr/etc. comensurate with the labor and sacrifice of the employee, especially in the long term.




 
Posts: 3884 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The people that work the least efficient are almost always the first ones to get laid off.

Also corporations tend to take advantage of the really good workers and overwork them without additional compensation, but half the time this leads too be a better paying promotion. But overall corporations suck to work for.
 
Posts: 16377 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:The 110%/100% speech is bullshit, but you both are ignoring that he received a call from a customer saying the guy didn't work the day before. He can obviously do more and was working closer to 0% than 100%. Combined with the big mouth, people like that are absolute poison for workforce morale.


And lets be honest - some people's "100%" is another person's "50%".

I'm so glad we have very few employees and lots of contractors. Contractors are so easy to deal with - when they have pissed you off for the last time, there is no counseling, no paperwork. You simply stop giving them any more work. Sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently.

One guy went on about how he had a bunch of shit to do at home so our leader told him to pack up and fly home. The work had tapered off but we weren't planning on cutting him free, since it was the holidays. But he persisted in being an ass about it. Of course then the guy realized that he had just cost himself about $2K in invoices and tried to backpedal, but our leader said "Go, have a great holiday!".

We have since put that guy back on jobs, but he has never made a peep again.
 
Posts: 39711 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The people that work the least efficient are almost always the first ones to get laid off.

Also corporations tend to take advantage of the really good workers and overwork them without additional compensation, but half the time this leads too be a better paying promotion. But overall corporations suck to work for.

Heh. I wish.

I've seen PLENTY of hard working, efficient folks get laid off while their inferiors kept pulling a paycheck.


______________________________________________
Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon
 
Posts: 11104 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The people that work the least efficient are almost always the first ones to get laid off.

Also corporations tend to take advantage of the really good workers and overwork them without additional compensation, but half the time this leads too be a better paying promotion. But overall corporations suck to work for.

Heh. I wish.

I've seen PLENTY of hard working, efficient folks get laid off while their inferiors kept pulling a paycheck.


Half of the time, this is unfortunately true as well.
 
Posts: 16377 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The people that work the least efficient are almost always the first ones to get laid off.

Also corporations tend to take advantage of the really good workers and overwork them without additional compensation, but half the time this leads too be a better paying promotion. But overall corporations suck to work for.



Heh. I wish.

I've seen PLENTY of hard working, efficient folks get laid off while their inferiors kept pulling a paycheck.


Same here.

I've seen, ( and experienced ) this a time or two. It's almost like that company has a certain number of set positions for lazy, dumb-shits to keep on hand while the dedicated, hard workers are cast off at will. Mad

Later on, it brings a smile to my face when I hear and see these same companies are having all sorts of problems.. problems traced back to those 'fine' employees they decided to keep.




"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."




 
Posts: 6886 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
RE: First guy I ever fired

Yep, all knew that the ole 110% rally talk was BS. Yep, all were being asked to work overtime for an hour a day and Saturday morning: 150% pay. I know $$ is not the only motivation, so I appealed for their help in getting over this temporary hump. The issue was some would drag up anyway. Yep, the guy was a slacker when out of sight. Yep, I was the owner.


Near the ocean
 
Posts: 1674 | Location: CTZ Florida | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
RE: First guy I ever fired

Yep, all knew that the ole 110% rally talk was BS. Yep, all were being asked to work overtime for an hour a day and Saturday morning: 150% pay. I know $$ is not the only motivation, so I appealed for their help in getting over this temporary hump. The issue was some would drag up anyway. Yep, the guy was a slacker when out of sight. Yep, I was the owner.


In that case, cne, I owe you an apology for inferring that you might be the type of manager that would do to employees what this thread is about.

I should have asked for clarification and more information before doing a rant. My apologies brother.




 
Posts: 3884 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Saul Goodman.

My business was a cabinet shop. The episode I described happened 35 years ago (+/-). I would usually counsel him/her as to what went wrong and give them time off to find another job so they could quit. With layoffs, I would ask who wanted to leave or work short weeks. But that one incident stayed with me.


Near the ocean
 
Posts: 1674 | Location: CTZ Florida | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
And the related: someone can't do their job but still gets paid while those of us that can get things done get to do their job too
 
Posts: 14845 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
If I'm paid by the hour .... I don't give a chit.

Reminds me why I left home at 18yrs old....
I didn't like the rules, wanted to be in charge of my own destiny ..... It was their house after all. I could like it or leave.
 
Posts: 426 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
My first real job out of engineering school, I got a "problem child" system in a completely unrelated engineering discipline. I'd get calls from the operators 24/7. I fixed it as best I was allowed, saved the company a ton of money on shutdowns and regulatory fines and was rewarded with another problem child system when I returned from vacation because the previous engineer on my new system got pregnant and couldn't work in the plant anymore. Of course, I didn't get to dump the old system on anyone else.

I got away from that plant as fast as I could.

I've seen good workers canned and bad workers promoted. I've heard all the BS motivational speeches, but never just telling us the truth.

Good bosses can be counted on the fingers of one hand, bad bosses are legion.

Before I retired, I became a contract engineer and got paid for exactly what I did under the terms of the contract. If they wanted to pay me to listen to a BS pep talk, I was still getting paid my handsome hourly rate. Much less stressful.
 
Posts: 762 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do a good job, get rewarded with more work

© SIGforum 2018