SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My current car seems to attract idiot drivers.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My current car seems to attract idiot drivers. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
I've had my current car for about 4 years. In those four years, I have been hit more than in the last 20 before.

Most of these seem to happen in parking lots when I'm parked and never know who did it. Guess it is acceptable today to hit someone and drive off if the car is parked.

Last winter after a storm my car was covered grim/road salt. When I washed it I noticed a huge dent in the rear door. Someone must have nailed it pulling into or out of a parking space. Just after I bought it someone pulled out for a store into the travel lanes and right into me. At least she stopped and apologized and exchanged insurance.

Today I noticed a huge scrape on the corner of the rear bumper. Guess it can match the front where the guy changed lanes into me and then lied to the police about it.

Thinking it's time for a camera. Maybe I need one that records even when parked or an old truck with big chrome bumpers. Really liked this car but so bummed the body has taken a beating.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this point if the car runs well, I would keep it. When I had a vehicle like that it did not bother me if someone hit it again. The car was one big dent. You can now park where you want. Forget the long walks, save the money you would have spent on the camera. If your car looks messed up enough, people might not even park close to you.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
This is why I drive an old Accord for my daily beater and keep the nice ones tucked away at home. It won’t ruin my day if it gets another door ding or scratch because people in general just don’t care about other people’s stuff.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Park out in the sticks and walk. It helps tremendously.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Plus you get excersize Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

I don't mind a little walking. I live and work in the Maryland/DC area. Parking away from others isn't always an option.

My car before this I had for over 10 years. It had a scratch or two but nothing like this one. I think it's a magnet for people to hit.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

It didn't help my childhood friend or my grandfather. It avoids the little dings and scratches but they both got blasted by someone not paying attention. Getting hit that hard would've likely never happened if they were parked amongst other cars, but since they were 10+ spaces beyond the other cars it just meant the person who hit them was moving at a speed sufficient to cause thousands in damage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once owned a 1976 Chevy Suburban. It made the vehicles in a Mad Max movie look like luxury vehicles. You could actually watch it rust. One of the fun aspects of ownership of this fine vehicle was watching people flee as I approached. No one would park anywhere near it and if I parked beside someone who was still in their car, they would move.
The earlier posts about driving a beater is good advice. I recommend the 76 Suburban.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was just my 2017 Subaru Outback, that was cursed. It has 50K miles on the clock and seems to be a target for trauma. I have replaced the rear rubber bumper cover twice, once when someone hit me in a parking lot and once when I backed into one of those 2 foot high well covers I couldn't see. Right now, I have a ding on the driver's door right above the door handle, where I have to look at it every day. I do a lot of interstate driving and consequently have more than my share of windshield dings from truck-thrown rocks. My previous 2006 4-Runner, which I traded at 240K miles was more resistant.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no accidents at all for over 30 years. Then I purchased a Chevrolet Malibu (late model but used). Within one year I got hit 3 times. The other drivers were ticketed in all three cases, so it wasn't me. The damn car was cursed. I traded it in after it was repaired the third time. No accidents since I got rid of the damn thing. I'm not a superstitious guy, but I do believe the car was cursed.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post