SIGforum
$4,366.00 charge on my card at a Home Depot I've never been to the day after I buy a gun.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9890017854

July 08, 2019, 07:30 PM
P220 Smudge
$4,366.00 charge on my card at a Home Depot I've never been to the day after I buy a gun.
With a card I never use.

Hmm....

Can't get the manager of the gun store on the phone so we can talk about it. Hmmmmm....

July 08, 2019, 07:34 PM
RogueJSK
Could the counter guy at the gun store have stolen your credit card number? Sure, it's possible.

But there's not necessarily a correlation between the last place you used that card, and the subsequent fraud that showed up on your account the next day.

Fraudsters can sit on compromised credit card numbers for weeks or months, sometimes selling and trading them multiple times on the dark web, before anyone ever tries to use the number.

This is especially true if the number is compromised as part of a large online breach, where it takes quite some time to wade through all the credit card numbers and other user data from the the massive amount of info stolen.

So your numbers could have been snagged a while ago through a completely different source, and they're just now trying to charge something to it. After all, unless the physical card itself was stolen, you would have no idea the card was compromised until someone tried to use it, and therefore no reason to proactively cancel it. So there's no real rush to get around to using it.
July 08, 2019, 07:40 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Well my last charge was for 16 dollars at a gay strip club in San Francisco. At least yours was plausible. Just call your credit card company. They will cancell it and send you new card by overnight mail if you are insistent enough. Nothing to do with gun store I would guess.
July 08, 2019, 07:40 PM
P220 Smudge
I've had my card stolen before, and yes, I know about the things you mentioned. Usually, there's a few random small purchases here and there. One time a $100 charge at a Pizza Hut.

This one was the day after I made a purchase just about half the amount spent at the Home Depot the very next day. I'm generally a benefit of the doubt guy, but this one makes my spidey sense tingle.

I called the CC company, they're canceling the charge and refunding me. I'll have a new card in a few days. I just can't believe the timing of this, and the fact that the Home Depot was in the area. If it was in another state, I would think I'd been hacked and my info sold online. My last legit use of the card in person was back in February.

July 08, 2019, 08:44 PM
YooperSigs
So... 4K + at a local Home Depot. What was bought?
And how did they manage this locally if the card was still in your possession?
Order online with a local in store pickup?
Gotta be some video of this. Home Depot has some questions to answer.
But thats the problem with this type of crime. No desire to investigate or prosecute.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 08, 2019, 08:45 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Maybe JJones will chime in. He knows alot about this stuff. Investigates it regularly. They should have video of the guy making the purchase.

I hope they employ smarter people than that at the gun counter. I doubt he is your guy. It is probably some guy in Eastern Europe. Who knows,let it go.
July 08, 2019, 09:42 PM
P220 Smudge
A possibility is that the gun store, who is one of the big time names in AR’s and this is their storefront, has had their credit card processing hacked and they need to be made aware of it. I didn’t say it was a guy at the counter, I said the timing was awfully alarming.

Anyways, I’ll be made whole, I’m not that worried about it. I spoke to a manager at the Home Depot location and I hope to speak to a manager at the gun store to pass along the head’s up. Left a voicemail, but I’ll call again tomorrow. They need to be made aware, even if they don’t care. The last time I had a fraudulent charge was at a gas station for $20 and even though the CC company covered it, the manager still appreciated being made aware. I don’t see how a company pulling in the kind of money this gun store does wouldn’t care.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
But thats the problem with this type of crime. No desire to investigate or prosecute.

As for your questions, no idea, but I’m sure there’s ways since it happened to me. I sure as shit didn’t drive over an hour to buy $4k worth of stuff at Home Depot when I live less than a mile from one. The manager said they’d complete the investigation and it would all be handled through the credit card company. I asked about the cameras and the time it was charged and all that and she said there was nothing she could really tell me, except the previous.

July 08, 2019, 11:39 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Buddy of mine is manager of loss protection at one. Trust me if anyone actually gives two shits they have the video. My guess is no one will ask for perusing it, and it's another write off. Buddy freaks me out every now and then. Shopping and he'll sneak up on me

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
July 09, 2019, 12:01 AM
Aeteocles
Swipe or chip at the gun store?
July 09, 2019, 05:51 AM
Fredward
Ask if it was for delivery. My guess is, for a purchase that large, it was.
July 09, 2019, 06:27 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Ask if it was for delivery. My guess is, for a purchase that large, it was.
You can ask, but judging from my experience, nobody will tell you anything.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
July 09, 2019, 06:54 AM
NK402
The only time I have had a problem was years ago, when a guy charged a $400 pair of shoes on my credit card. The were delivered to his address.... the state prison, my cc information having been provided to him by his girlfriend, a store clerk.
July 09, 2019, 07:56 AM
V-Tail
American Express checked in with me to verify that I was buying thousands of dollars (pounds?) worth of wedding supplies in London.

I told them that I had not been in London since November 1977.

They canceled that card number and overnighted new cards to me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
July 09, 2019, 08:54 AM
Expert308
In about 2011 I had my furnace and hot water heater replaced and AC installed. I financed it through the contractor via Wells Fargo and was issued a credit card with a limit of whatever my purchase price was. I never used that card for anything else. A few years later I got a bill for that card, for something like $13K from an HVAC contractor in San Jose. So how in the hell did some jackwad in San Jose get the number of that card? Damned if I know. Because of the amount it took a few months to get it straightened out.
July 09, 2019, 09:14 AM
sigfreund
Fraudulent charge?
Run (figuratively speaking, of course), don’t walk, to the credit card company.
Don’t bother (and delay) trying to figure how it happened yourself.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
July 09, 2019, 11:08 AM
LS1 GTO
Just call your CC company.

A few years ago I found a aircraft ticket charge on mine from Greece to Qat, Iran within minutes of it occurring.

I was not impressed.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

July 09, 2019, 11:09 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Swipe or chip at the gun store?

It was a chip. I have no faith that the chip cards are any more secure. My first card with a chip was used for $100 worth of Pizza Hut in a local town I’ve never been to the first month it was issued to me.

Alinc100, I agree. I didn’t get the impression that either the card company or Home Depot really cared to investigate it beyond “yeah, that wasn’t you.” Just reverse the charges and call it a day. Oh well.

I left a voicemail with the gun store yesterday. If they call me back, I’ll be happy to give them the details, but I’m not going to bother with calling them today. Just disgusted with the whole thing.

July 09, 2019, 03:01 PM
HRK
If you have the card it wasn't an in store purchase, most likely internet or phone order, and as others said obtained well before but you never know.

July 09, 2019, 04:54 PM
Voshterkoff
A number of gun suppliers have poor financial security.
July 09, 2019, 05:34 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

If you have the card it wasn't an in store purchase, most likely internet or phone order, and as others said obtained well before but you never know.
I thought that there is a pretty active underground business, counterfeiting physical cards.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים