SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Uh, Resort Telemarketer Lady...you need a new spiel.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uh, Resort Telemarketer Lady...you need a new spiel. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The one where you pretend your headset is malfunctioning and you keep saying "Hello?...Hello?" is NOT working any more.

I've given up any pretense of being considerate of telemarketers. You've got 3 seconds to convince me I either know you or need to speak to you. Otherwise, then next sound you hear will be a dial tone.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do know that's a recording which transfers to a real person after the system figures out a human answered, right? I've found the easy way to counter those (if you insist on picking up the phone in the first place) is to say nothing after answering and the telemarketing system usually assumes no one's there and disconnects.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
You do know that's a recording which transfers to a real person after the system figures out a human answered, right?

Actually, I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are mostly recorded robocalls. I use an app called nomorobo that blocks these calls. It also flags me in the upper left hand corner of my tv if I happen to be watching.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Thinking about recording the 'deet-beep-deet The number you dialed has been disconnected or is no longer in service' and having that for my answering machine message.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking about recording the 'deet-beep-deet The number you dialed has been disconnected or is no longer in service' and having that for my answering machine message.

I did that back in the 1980s. My parents were not amused.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do know that's a recording which transfers to a real person after the system figures out a human answered, right? I've found the easy way to counter those (if you insist on picking up the phone in the first place) is to say nothing after answering and the telemarketing system usually assumes no one's there and disconnects.

It also captures your voice answering "yes" to the question.

I just hang up.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Telemarketers are parasites.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Is there an app that will play that message selectively, as in only for telemarket calls or calls you label telemarket? So the auto-dialer program dumps your number instead of continuing to call you until a live person answers.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:

It also captures your voice answering "yes" to the question.

I just hang up.

Could you explain this for me please. I've heard this before and I'm not sure what they are going to do w/ a recording of me saying "yes".
They don't know who I am. So how are they going to prove it was me? And for what purpose?

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
I just never answer my phone unless I recognize the number as someone legit. If it's truly important, they'll leave a message. If it's someone who actually knows me, they'll know enough to text rather than call.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Change your voicemail greeting to "Thank you for calling the psychic hotline. Please do not press any buttons nor leave a message. We already know who you are and what you want."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I watched a doctor shouting at his phone (on speaker) about not wanting affordable health care coverage last week, and demanding to be taken off their list. His frustration eventually ended in him hanging up.

It was most definitely a robot caller, which I gently pointed out.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Those resort robo calls come from phones with the same prefix as my number. I assume they are hijacked numbers, so when I see an incoming call with that prefix I just don't answer. It must have worked because I haven't gotten a call from them for over a month now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that I'm getting a bunch of calls with my area code and local number prefix, but identified by callerid as "out of area." Takes some kind of stupid for telemarketers to think I'll pick up that combination!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why are you even answering strange numbers?

Seriously, if it's a number NOT in my iPhone contacts, it gets ignored and if it was important they will leave a message.

There is no reason for people to be answering the phone anymore at every ring.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Seriously, if it's a number NOT in my iPhone contacts, it gets ignored and if it was important they will leave a message.

+1

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

No caller ID on the landline. And cell coverage is just spotty enough that I won't give up the land line.

Not to mention the very concept of trying to teach SWMBO how to use a smart phone. It is to shudder...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Change your voicemail greeting to "Thank you for calling the psychic hotline. Please do not press any buttons nor leave a message. We already know who you are and what you want."

Ooooooo, I LIKE that!

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
No caller ID on the landline.

I didn't know you could get a basic phone line without caller ID anymore, everything is pretty much bundled in to the service. Do you still use a rotary dial phoneset? LOL

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post