Tools

Null Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe that's why capri's are big in Europe... it's not a fashion statement it's due to lack of other options...

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What you're describing is UK sizing, not Euro sizing. US and UK waist sizes are in inches. Euro waist sizes are in centimeters. So something like a 34 waist in US/UK sizing would be a 86 waist in Euro sizing.

Also, many overseas stores/brands omit the specific inseam length, listing the sizes by waist only. In this case, the 34 is a waist size.

In most cases, inseams are instead sized more like American BDU pants:
"Short" inseam is roughly 30"
"Regular" inseam is roughly 32"
"Long" inseam is roughly 34"

Exact inseam length can vary a little bit based on waist size, with smaller waist sizes being slightly shorter, and wider waist sizes being slightly longer. For example, a 30 Regular might have a 31" inseam, while a 42 Regular might have a 32.5" inseam.

Also, "Regular" is often left off. So the choices could be something like 34 Short, 34, or 34 Long.

Alternatively, some brands sell their pants unhemmed. So they'll come with something like a 40" unhemmed inseam, and it's up to the buyer to take the pants to a tailor to have them hemmed to the proper inseam length.

I'd try again with that company, and simply ask what the inseam length is. They're most likely 32ish inch inseams.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What you're describing is UK sizing, not Euro sizing. US and UK waist sizes are in inches. Euro waist sizes are in centimeters. So something like a 34 waist in US/UK sizing would be a 86 waist in Euro sizing.

Also, many overseas stores/brands omit the specific inseam length, listing the sizes by waist only. In this case, the 34 is a waist size.

Exact inseam length can vary a little bit based on waist size, with smaller waist sizes being slightly shorter, and wider waist sizes being slightly longer. For example, a 30 Regular might have a 31" inseam, while a 42 Regular might have a 32.5" inseam.

Also, "Regular" is often left off. So the choices could be something like 34 Short, 34, or 34 Long.

Alternatively, some brands sell their pants unhemmed. So they'll come with something like a 40" unhemmed inseam, and it's up to the buyer to take the pants to a tailor to have them hemmed to the proper inseam length.

I'd try again with that company, and simply ask what the inseam length is. They're most likely 32ish inch inseams.

All good info, and thanks. I simply don't understand why anyone would omit the inseam measurement when it is obviously essential to the fit of the pants.

Could it be that you are ordering dress pants, and they ship unhemmed?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
sometimes simply '34' would represent a square sizing, i.e. 34-34. In UK sizing, it would represent a 34-32 potentially.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Could it be that you are ordering dress pants, and they ship unhemmed?

Nope, they're motorcycle jeans.

Some companies make motorcycle jeans that are shipped unhemmed.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch the exchange rate.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

And hence, the Scotsman...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post