SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Euro sizing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Euro sizing Login/Join 
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Twice now, I have wanted to order a product from a website that is centered in Europe. The product is also sold in the US, but the cheapest online price is off of a UK website. And the size conversion chart is useless.

If I wear 34x32 pants, that measurement makes sense to me. The only two measurements that matter are waist and length. I entirely understand they dont use the imperial system, but I would expect the measurements in inches to be converted to measurements in centimeters. Instead, on these Euro websites, the options are ONLY one of the measurments. For example, you can order the pants in a "34". But what measurement is that? 34" waist or length? Or both? Then it gives the option of "Short 34". How short is "short"?

I emailed the customer service address, and explained how both measurements are necessary. The response I got was "these pants can only be ordered in one size." How do you NOT know that two measurements are needed?!?



 
Posts: 3155 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe that's why capri's are big in Europe... it's not a fashion statement it's due to lack of other options...
 
Posts: 461 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What you're describing is UK sizing, not Euro sizing. US and UK waist sizes are in inches. Euro waist sizes are in centimeters. So something like a 34 waist in US/UK sizing would be a 86 waist in Euro sizing.

Also, many overseas stores/brands omit the specific inseam length, listing the sizes by waist only. In this case, the 34 is a waist size.

In most cases, inseams are instead sized more like American BDU pants:
"Short" inseam is roughly 30"
"Regular" inseam is roughly 32"
"Long" inseam is roughly 34"

Exact inseam length can vary a little bit based on waist size, with smaller waist sizes being slightly shorter, and wider waist sizes being slightly longer. For example, a 30 Regular might have a 31" inseam, while a 42 Regular might have a 32.5" inseam.

Also, "Regular" is often left off. So the choices could be something like 34 Short, 34, or 34 Long.

Alternatively, some brands sell their pants unhemmed. So they'll come with something like a 40" unhemmed inseam, and it's up to the buyer to take the pants to a tailor to have them hemmed to the proper inseam length.


I'd try again with that company, and simply ask what the inseam length is. They're most likely 32ish inch inseams.
 
Posts: 18313 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What you're describing is UK sizing, not Euro sizing. US and UK waist sizes are in inches. Euro waist sizes are in centimeters. So something like a 34 waist in US/UK sizing would be a 86 waist in Euro sizing.

Also, many overseas stores/brands omit the specific inseam length, listing the sizes by waist only. In this case, the 34 is a waist size.

In most cases, inseams are instead sized more like American BDU pants:
"Short" inseam is roughly 30"
"Regular" inseam is roughly 32"
"Long" inseam is roughly 34"

Exact inseam length can vary a little bit based on waist size, with smaller waist sizes being slightly shorter, and wider waist sizes being slightly longer. For example, a 30 Regular might have a 31" inseam, while a 42 Regular might have a 32.5" inseam.

Also, "Regular" is often left off. So the choices could be something like 34 Short, 34, or 34 Long.

Alternatively, some brands sell their pants unhemmed. So they'll come with something like a 40" unhemmed inseam, and it's up to the buyer to take the pants to a tailor to have them hemmed to the proper inseam length.


I'd try again with that company, and simply ask what the inseam length is. They're most likely 32ish inch inseams.


All good info, and thanks. I simply don't understand why anyone would omit the inseam measurement when it is obviously essential to the fit of the pants.



 
Posts: 3155 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What you're describing is UK sizing, not Euro sizing. US and UK waist sizes are in inches. Euro waist sizes are in centimeters. So something like a 34 waist in US/UK sizing would be a 86 waist in Euro sizing.

Also, many overseas stores/brands omit the specific inseam length, listing the sizes by waist only. In this case, the 34 is a waist size.

In most cases, inseams are instead sized more like American BDU pants:
"Short" inseam is roughly 30"
"Regular" inseam is roughly 32"
"Long" inseam is roughly 34"

Exact inseam length can vary a little bit based on waist size, with smaller waist sizes being slightly shorter, and wider waist sizes being slightly longer. For example, a 30 Regular might have a 31" inseam, while a 42 Regular might have a 32.5" inseam.

Also, "Regular" is often left off. So the choices could be something like 34 Short, 34, or 34 Long.

Alternatively, some brands sell their pants unhemmed. So they'll come with something like a 40" unhemmed inseam, and it's up to the buyer to take the pants to a tailor to have them hemmed to the proper inseam length.


I'd try again with that company, and simply ask what the inseam length is. They're most likely 32ish inch inseams.


All good info, and thanks. I simply don't understand why anyone would omit the inseam measurement when it is obviously essential to the fit of the pants.


Could it be that you are ordering dress pants, and they ship unhemmed?




Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.
 
Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
sometimes simply '34' would represent a square sizing, i.e. 34-34. In UK sizing, it would represent a 34-32 potentially.


________________________
442 Pro Series // G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE Clone
 
Posts: 9933 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Could it be that you are ordering dress pants, and they ship unhemmed?


Nope, they're motorcycle jeans.



 
Posts: 3155 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
sometimes simply '34' would represent a square sizing, i.e. 34-34. In UK sizing, it would represent a 34-32 potentially.


Is this inherent knowledge in the UK? I e-mailed customer service again to ask the inseam length, but it took them a few days to get back to me last time. If I'm a 34x32 in regular US measurements, It seems that "34" might represent a squared sizing as you mentioned, but "34 short" might be 34x32, and "34 long" might be 34x36, especially seeing as how the company itself makes only those three sizes in a 34 waist and offers them for sale here in the US.



 
Posts: 3155 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Could it be that you are ordering dress pants, and they ship unhemmed?


Nope, they're motorcycle jeans.


Some companies make motorcycle jeans that are shipped unhemmed.


*******
"If you want a friend in Washington, get a Dog - Harry S Truman.
 
Posts: 4762 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Watch the exchange rate.
 
Posts: 3434 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Watch the exchange rate.


Thanks. Fortunately the website is kind enough to allow you to select the currency you want displayed. The only reason I'm going through the hassle is that its $75 cheaper here than anywhere else online.



 
Posts: 3155 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What you're describing is UK sizing, not Euro sizing. US and UK waist sizes are in inches. Euro waist sizes are in centimeters. So something like a 34 waist in US/UK sizing would be a 86 waist in Euro sizing.

Also, many overseas stores/brands omit the specific inseam length, listing the sizes by waist only. In this case, the 34 is a waist size.

In most cases, inseams are instead sized more like American BDU pants:
"Short" inseam is roughly 30"
"Regular" inseam is roughly 32"
"Long" inseam is roughly 34"

Exact inseam length can vary a little bit based on waist size, with smaller waist sizes being slightly shorter, and wider waist sizes being slightly longer. For example, a 30 Regular might have a 31" inseam, while a 42 Regular might have a 32.5" inseam.

Also, "Regular" is often left off. So the choices could be something like 34 Short, 34, or 34 Long.

Alternatively, some brands sell their pants unhemmed. So they'll come with something like a 40" unhemmed inseam, and it's up to the buyer to take the pants to a tailor to have them hemmed to the proper inseam length.


I'd try again with that company, and simply ask what the inseam length is. They're most likely 32ish inch inseams.




And hence, the Scotsman...




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
 
Posts: 35388 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Euro sizing

© SIGforum 2017