SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Must be my week for rants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must be my week for rants Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I do equipment maintenance and general repairs for a guy I call Dale the Builder. After several evolutions and countless flats, he has finally realized that used car tires on his dump trailer are not the answer. So, he tasked me with finding some 10 ply trailer tires and having them mounted. Doesn't want to spend a lot and I can see his point there, it wouldn't take much for the tires to be worth more than the trailer. Asks me to look online for a deal.

Looked around, best deal appeared to be WalMart.com. They advertise a decent looking tire for $69 each.

Happened to be in town, figured I'd stop at WalMart and make sure they had them and set up an appointment to get them mounted.

Uh...Nope. We don't get our tires from WalMart, we get them from a local distributor and he can't get those.

Of course, I could order them online, have them shipped to the local WalMart, wait for them to arrive, hope they're the right size, wait for them to be mounted etc. etc.

Or, I could go to the local tire store, pay an extra $6 per tire and get them mounted tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

On a side note, there are two tire stores in town.

One has a carpeted waiting room, TV, free WiFi, a Keurig with free coffee and a parking lot full of $50,000 SUV's, Beemers and Subarus.

The other one hasn't changed since about 1950, smells like cigars and real American rubber, has a few old armchairs and a peanut machine.

Guess which one I use?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess which one I use?

Hopefully the latter.

I love a good, old-school shop. The kind of place with an ancient Aamco brake lathe, flywheel resurfacing machine, and floors that could be deemed a superfund site.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Guess which one I use?

Hopefully the latter.

I love a good, old-school shop. The kind of place with an ancient Aamco brake lathe, flywheel resurfacing machine, and floors that could be deemed a superfund site.

Ah. So you've been there too. Big Grin

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
there are two tire stores in town.

One has a carpeted waiting room, TV, free WiFi, a Keurig with free coffee and a parking lot full of $50,000 SUV's, Beemers and Subarus.

The other one hasn't changed since about 1950, smells like cigars and real American rubber, has a few old armchairs and a peanut machine.

Guess which one I use?

How were the peanuts? Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
there are two tire stores in town.

Guess which one I use?

How were the peanuts? Wink

Stale... Big Grin

posted Hide Post
The shop I go to has a hand-painted sign reminding employees to not spit on the floor.

I hope they're just joking.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
The shop I go to has a hand-painted sign reminding employees to not spit on the floor.

I hope they're just joking.

Big Grin

I don't believe I'd care to crawl around on the floor of my place looking for a dropped valve core. At least two of the boys in the back dip snuff... Eek

posted Hide Post
The OP made reference to the "smell of rubber". Well here in our town, back in the 1950s there was a store that sold guns, bicycles, Whizzer motorbikes and James British motorcycles.

This place had a smell like no other. The smell was rubber from all them bike tires. I loved it! Smile

Smells can do a lot to enhance memories. Back when I was learning to fly in 1956 , I flew a ten year old Piper J3 Cub and a PA12 Piper Super Cruiser. Both of these aircraft were only ten years old but would qualify as "beaters". They had definitely been "rode hard and put away wet", if you know what I mean? Wink

I remember especially the Cub reeked of gasoline, hot engine oil, rubber, plastic covered upholstery and airplane fabric dope. This scent
medley was an absolute symphony of smells to my nose! I can smell it in my dreams.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
WalMart!

See it was a trick question. You have to remember OP's from Maine, then it makes perfect sense.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31385 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:I don't believe I'd care to crawl around on the floor of my place looking for a dropped valve core. At least two of the boys in the back dip snuff... Eek

Those concrete floors deeply impregnated with solvents and oils of every persuasion are the original antimicrobial surface. No living organism can survive more than a few seconds. Smile

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Those concrete floors deeply impregnated with solvents and oils of every persuasion are the original antimicrobial surface. No living organism can survive more than a few seconds. Smile

A valid point, and one I hadn't considered. Then again, having that sort of thing ground into the delicate, virgin epidermis of my knees doesn't really appeal either...