SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Really? A Phillips? What kind of screw is that?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really? A Phillips? What kind of screw is that? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Okay, so maybe this isn't the biggest gripe that I have right now, but it has been frustrating for years. Just because they can outsource the production of fasteners, it doesn't mean that everything is the same.

When assembling products or selling kits, don't just say 'tools needed: Philips screwdriver' and throw in a shitload of Pozidriv screws! Mad

There are a variety of screws that their lazy ass throw in because it was cheap/expedient:

• Cross (my absolute favorite)
  • Phillips (kinda)
  • Pozidriv (maybe)
  • Reed and Prince (find a driver for that )

If bulk R&P screws are cheaper for the manufacturer, perhaps they can save enough to throw in a bit.

At least list the correct type of tool needed for assembly.

Am I the only one that notices this?

•  
    Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fool for the City
    Picture of MRMATT
    posted Hide Post
    I've got a Reed and Prince driver somewhere in my toolcbest screwdriver drawer, but after 30-40 years, I've never needed it.

Same with my pozidrives.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    The only Pozi-Driv screws I have ever seen are on GM cars and trucks, holding interior trim, up to about the 1990s.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    And then there's JIS: Japanese Industrial Standard. LOOKS like a Phillips. S'not. It WILL strip out if you try to remove it with a Phillips.

They're all over UJMs (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) from the 60s/70s/80s. Therefore, I bought a good set of JIS screwdrivers.

Amazingly, they work on pretty much ANY Phillips-looking screw.

Personally I'm a big fan of hex head (Allen) and Torx fasteners.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    Allens are always getting the bit stuck and stripping out. Torx is better, except when used on very large or very tight bolts that rust up and fill the cavity with dirt. But just plain Torx isn't good enough, they have to make Torx Plus (the corners are rounder and blunter) and a couple of others whose names I don't recall at the moment. I can tell you that the camshaft sprocket bolts on some Ford V6 engines are a T55 Torx Plus, and they are tight . A half-inch-drive socket this size is over $50 from Strap-on Snap-on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I bought a Chapman motorcycle set to keep on my Honda and added the two optional JIS bits just in case. So far, I haven't had to use the JIS bits but still think it was $6 well spent.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by egregore:
    Allens are always getting the bit stuck and stripping out. Torx is better, except when used on very large or very tight bolts that rust up and fill the cavity with dirt. But just plain Torx isn't good enough, they have to make Torx Plus (the corners are rounder and blunter) and a couple of others whose names I don't recall at the moment. I can tell you that the camshaft sprocket bolts on some Ford V6 engines are a T55 Torx Plus, and they are tight . A half-inch-drive socket this size is over $50 from Strap-on Snap-on.

Does Strap on still send out a Billie Jean King Calender with their catalog? Never did understand that deal, why anyone would like to see Billie Jean King in a thong bikini is something I'll never understand.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    Torx and Torx Plus sets are good to have, until you have to work on a '60s muscle car. That bolt needs a hexlobular bit.

It looks like a Torx, you just haven't rounded it off yet. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:

• The neat thing about R&P is that one driver (or bit) fits all sizes of screws. You can get bits at McMaster-Carr.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by henryaz:
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:

• The neat thing about R&P is that one driver (or bit) fits all sizes of screws. You can get bits at McMaster-Carr.

Had to chase mine down in the early '90s. There was one on the Snap-on truck.

posted Hide Post
    We're working on a device with Tri-Tip screw heads- Think 3 bladed philips head screw.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    chickenshit
    Picture of rsbolo
    posted Hide Post
    I like finding a hodgepodge of fasteners...I recently was helping a friend move his library bookcases. Beautiful solid cherry 8' tall bookcases of varying widths.

I found no fewer than four different types of fastener.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Haveme1or2
    posted Hide Post
    I'm 58 yrs old and I've never heard of half these names. I guess I just thought they were all Phillips with less than good qc in the manufacturing.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I'm 58 yrs old and I've never heard of half these names.

There are a mind-boggling number of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Volkswagen/Audi is fond of triple-square drives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...s#Triple-square_(XZN) I work on just enough of them to need them. One, a VW Touareg, had 16mm triple-square and tamper-proof (a peg in the center that fits into a hole in the center of the bit) brake caliper bolts. I haven't done another one since. The tool cost me more than I made on the job.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    True story: I have have a Reed Prince driver sitting on the counter in my kitchen. I have no clue why, I've never used it. I've had it for close to 25 years. Every once in awhile, my wife will ask me what it is and I'll tell her. Then she asks me why it's on the counter. I don't know.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Tinyman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by braillediver:
    We're working on a device with Tri-Tip screw heads- Think 3 bladed philips head screw.

Started reading this thread and thought, "wonder if there are any tri-tip folks out there", and damn -- there is! Got about 1/4 pound of the tips in my toolbox that I'll never use -- just cool, I guess.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
    I want to shake the shit out of them
    till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by egregore:
    quote:
    I'm 58 yrs old and I've never heard of half these names.

There are a mind-boggling number of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Volkswagen/Audi is fond of triple-square drives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...s#Triple-square_(XZN) I work on just enough of them to need them. One, a VW Touareg, had 16mm triple-square and tamper-proof (a peg in the center that fits into a hole in the center of the bit) brake caliper bolts. I haven't done another one since. The tool cost me more than I made on the job.

Woah! That’s insane. For many of those I’d have to use my universal wrench, powered by acetylene.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    Yup! The triple square fasteners kinda look like the double hex fasteners, but...

safe & sound
    Picture of a1abdj
    posted Hide Post
    So long as you're not a professional mechanic this is a good $10 investment. I rarely have to dig into them, but I do carry this kit on the truck for when I run into weird fasteners.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...se-100-pc-68457.html

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tinyman:
    quote:
    Originally posted by braillediver:

Started reading this thread and thought, "wonder if there are any tri-tip folks out there", and damn -- there is! Got about 1/4 pound of the tips in my toolbox that I'll never use -- just cool, I guess.

Tinyman

I have a couple. This Tamper proof set has just about everything odd, I come into contact with.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post