SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Needing receipts for warranty claims
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needing receipts for warranty claims Login/Join 
posted
I understand to a point.

I bought a Bosch laser level several months ago for about $50. I did not keep the receipt. Went to use it for only the second time and the lock switch does not hold. Customer support asks for proof of purchase. Doesnt physically having possession of said item count.

All in all it seems Bosch is taking care of it.

However how the hell is one supposed to keep track of every receipt for everything you buy just in case it breaks?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
This is why my basement is full of "stuff". I keep the original box with the original receipt inside said box.

I'm trying to purge so I've started taking photos of receipts and save them in receipt folder in my phone.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Snap a pic and store it in the cloud.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I love Amazon for this.

Of course if bought locally I'll generally scan a copy of receipt into a warranty folder if it's an item likely to break or over ~$50 or so.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I love Amazon for this.

Sometimes.
My wife bought me a leaf blower, 3 uses & it's dead.
Amazon said to contact the mfg.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If you have an all-in-one printer/scanner, scan the receipt and file it away on your computer. If you don't have one, they can be had on the cheap.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
However how the hell is one supposed to keep track of every receipt for everything you buy just in case it breaks?

There are a lot of fake products out there, real companies getting hammered with claims for knock off Kung-Flu made cheap copies.

With the tech today it's dang near impossible to know. Buddy told me AC Delco parts online are one of the most copied and fake sold auto parts out there.

So companie have to tighten up the claims departments to keep from taking losses on products they didn't sell.

Like others said, start a file, store the documents with the receipt either digitally or physically.

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Sometimes.

That wasn't my point at all. The ease of getting receipts back to 1998 is the point I intended.

AMZN, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, whoever. They all are going to point you to the manufacturer which I'm fine with. They are resellers, not manufacturers.

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Sometimes.

That wasn't my point at all. The ease of getting receipts back to 1998 is the point I intended.

AMZN, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, whoever. They all are going to point you to the manufacturer which I'm fine with. They are resellers, not manufacturers.

10-4, and agreed.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

How are they supposed to know if it's still in warranty if you don't?

If there's documentation accompanying the product I'll often staple the receipt to that. Such docs get permanently stored in an alphabetized file folder in a small filing cabinet.

Otherwise receipts get filed by year and month. Every year, all that gets transferred to an expanding folder. On the fourth year the entire folder's contents get shredded, the year written upon it crossed-off, and the folder re-used for a new year.

The other thing you can do is photograph or scan the receipts and file them using some scheme that makes sense to you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Most receipts now have some sort of disappearing ink. I was going through some auto part receipts and most the ink has faded away. Some were couple years old and some only few months old. As others have said a picture is best.

Posts: 1554 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Take a picture and file it away.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
If you have an all-in-one printer/scanner, scan the receipt and file it away on your computer. If you don't have one, they can be had on the cheap.

Or if you have a cell phone with a camera, try the free Adobe Scan app.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Or if you have a cell phone with a camera, try the free Adobe Scan app.

Adobe scan it is. Thanks. I can send the pics to my email and make searchable folders.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other thing you can do is photograph or scan the receipts and file them using some scheme that makes sense to you.

Yeah, the system that makes sense is scanning them into an electronic folder with a file name for the scan that is at least a clue. They're already sorted by date stamp I don't feel compelled to cull out the ones in there right now stamped 2005 for B&D drill, etc.....

They don't make my computer any heavier and the space consumed is about 0% of total HD.

Searchable folders, OCR, all this is mental masturbation and a waste of time, and this from a borderline OCD detailed guy. Very rarely do we need one of these, VERRRRY rarely for most of us. When I do that's when I'll spend the 2 minutes to scan through that folder with my eyeballs rather than turning each receipt into something with a Library of Congress code. Razz

posted Hide Post
Expandable file folder in my garage . Instruction books and receipts . I'm not into the whole digital files thing . I'm old school .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Every receipt has been scanned into the Quicken entry for years.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good App is Tiny Scanner https://tinyurl.com/pvy4med
There is a free version but the Pro can create multi page PDF and Ive used it to send docs for business that required signed PDF and they have been accepted.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that Amazon gives you a month to return your items. I had to replace a kids pool b/c it only lasted 4 light uses and it started to leak air. I went to Amazon and noticed it said you have till this date to return the item. I returned the item with zero issues via online and dropped it off at the UPS office and a day later had my refund. I just checked all my recent orders and the return/replace date is thirty days out from purchase. One reason I enjoy Amazon.
If I don't buy from Amazon I keep the box for at least thirty days and then throw it away but keep the receipt. Don;g have enough room to store all the boxes.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We used to sell and install on average one water heater a week. All the mfg went by the mfg date for the warrantee. No questions ask, a very nice system... unless you buy old stock.

Every thing should be that way as a minimum.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post