SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $40 minus $6 is not $46
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$40 minus $6 is not $46 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Bought a $40 item and had a $6 off coupon, but the cashier tried to tell me it was $46.

I politely said, "No, it's $34"

Ignoramus responded, "if you say so" and then rung it up and surprise, surprise, surprise it was $34.

Then she set my receipt in a puddle from previous customer's ice instead of handing it to my outstretched hand.

I probably should've asked for a manager, but instead left grumbling

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you want fries with that?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It kill me when I purchase something in a store lets say for $4.50 total with tax. You hand a $5 bill and they still have to read the screen to see you get $.50 back.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

It kill me when I purchase something in a store lets say for $4.50 total with tax. You hand a $5 bill and they still have to read the screen to see you get $.50 back.
Want more fun? Buy something that is, for example, $4.17. Hand the cashier a five dollar bill, a dime, a nickel, and two pennies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped using change it was too much for most cashiers. I came to the realization change is obsolete. Too bad, I grew up counting change. Change was important to me...way back to when I got 2 cents for pop bottles. Ah, the good ol’ days.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Want more fun? Buy something that is, for example, $4.17. Hand the cashier a five dollar bill, a dime, a nickel, and two pennies.

Last time I tried this, the cashier stood there slack jawed staring at the money I'd handed to her. Then she tried to give me back the change saying "you gave me too much money." Not really. Let me explain how this works.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

It really is a favorite activity of mine. Sort of a litmus test for my community. I especially enjoy making the change an odd amount so that I get a "case quarter" in return.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I usually wait until they've rung up the order, then give them change as they're opening the cash drawer. 404 Errors ensue nearly everytime.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

It really is a favorite activity of mine. Sort of a litmus test for my community. I especially enjoy making the change an odd amount so that I get a "case quarter" in return.

Even more fun: use $2 bills, $1 coins, and 50¢ pieces. Big Grin

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've got ten to fifteen Sacagawea dollars I've been saving for a visit to the exotic dance emporium.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Rev, I do that all the time and it drives my wife crazy. I just love watching them struggle to figure out what to do. I've had 4 or 5 of them standing around the cash register trying to figure it out.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I've got ten to fifteen Sacagawea dollars I've been saving for a visit to the exotic dance emporium.

Place the coins in the slot, see what you get in return.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh yeah. Had the same experience.

My tab came to $16.55 I gave the cashier a $20, a $1, two quarters and a nickel. She had no idea what to do. I told her just to give me a $5 bill. She still didn't get it. I finally had to get my phone out and show her on the calculator app.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6394 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Want even more fun? Hand the cashier a five dollar bill and three pennies and watch their brains implode.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats why you carry a custom t shirt around with you , that reads

"If I knew what I was I was doing, I'd get paid more."

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
There's still a few hours left in the day but that's the dumbest fucking thing I've heard today.

Should've asked her, "why would I bring you a coupon so I could pay more for the item? What sense does that make?"

And these are the morons who want $15/hour, vote like you and I, and produce offspring...

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might want to give them a close look first Wink

https://www.thesprucecrafts.co...ollar-profile-768545

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Make it hail!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I usually leave home in the morning with a small handful of change hoping to return home with less io put back in the drawer. I must it is both fun and somewhat disheartening to see the occasional blank stare when handing the cashier exact change. If I tell them I have the change, but they quickly enter the whole dollars into the register, I will patiently wait until they do the calculus needed to hand me the correct bills.

One young fellow refused to take my money telling me I was giving him too much money. I told him to call the manager. That’s when the neighboring cashier told him, “He wants a dollar back”. The young fellow’s face went bright red in embarrassment. We both laughed and I told him that I didn’t mean to embarrass him and we had a good discussion about making change. He was a quick study and now hands me the right amount before i can hand him my money. Good kid. But not all get the point like he did.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have an account at the First Citywide Change Bank...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post