SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    WalMart self checkout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
WalMart self checkout Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I must be getting old - this is my second complaint to this part of SigForum today!

On Saturday I went to WalMart to get groceries for the week. When it was time to checkout, I see that there are only 2 or 3 lines with actual checkers manning them. The lines for all three are 5 or 6 deep (and a lot of the people in line had full baskets). A quick look at who was working told the story. One of the checkers was probably pushing 80. She's a very nice lady, but she's also pretty slow. The other two checkers we taking their time, talking to customers etc.

So frustrating, especially on a Saturday when I have other things I'd rather be doing. So I did the self-checkout with a cart full of stuff. Probably the worst 20 minutes of my life. I came home and my wife could see little wisps of smoke coming off my head.

I decided from now on, if it can't be bought at CostCo, then we don't need it Smile



Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
 
Posts: 4073 | Location: Lehi, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It seems a given that businesses put their slowest people on checkout!

And I have a special knack for finding which ones are absolutely the slowest!
 
Posts: 516 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You had two or three actual checkers? Wow.
 
Posts: 14258 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
People are more expensive than machines. As minimum wages go up, expect to see less employees and more automation.

And for small orders, I prefer self check out.
 
Posts: 18324 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Go to Walmart’s website and complain. I think this is a common problem with Walmarts everywhere. I would rather use a checker for the times I buy a lot of items.


———————————————-
Every socialist is a disguised dictator—Ludwig von Mises
 
Posts: 496 | Location: North And East Of The Big Chicken | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I never used it, but our Walmart had scanners that you could take with you on your cart along with some bags. As you shopped you scanned your items and bagged them. All you needed to do upfront was pay.


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
 
Posts: 13185 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Our Wally World self checkout is fairly painless. It's a rare event when you have to wait in any kind of line, and the process is quick. If you have a lot of stuff, you can choose not to bag it, or in other words, put it back in the cart. Speeds it up a good bit with large amounts of stuff.




NIKE- The Swoosh with a Douche
 
Posts: 8941 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I must be getting old - this is my second complaint to this part of SigForum today!
Get off my lawn!
quote:
On Saturday I went to WalMart to get groceries for the week.
If I really need to go to Walmart I try to avoid Saturdays. Especially the first Saturday of the month.



A mind is a terrible thing.
 
Posts: 18984 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a Kroger right across the street from the LA Fitness I work out at. Typical routine for a Saturday is to hit the gym at 7:00 AM, do 1 hour of Cardio and 1/2 hour on the weight machines and then head across the street to get my weekly shopping in. One big advantage to hitting the store at 8:30 in the morning is very few shoppers and if I want fresh fish or a nice steak I just plan my routing within the store to put me at the meat counter when they open it up at 9:00 AM.

The lesson here is to get your weekend chores out of the way as early in the day as possible so that you aren't waiting in line AND have time free later in the day for a round of Skeet or 3.


I've stopped counting.
 
Posts: 4181 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The problem is Walmart is cheap they screw over the employee's to line the pockets of the share holders and executives.

My Mom works as a checker at a Walmart Grocery she was out of work for a few months when her previous job of 12 years went under and this new job pays the bills until she finds something better. She works as hard and as fast as she can.

The Managers of these stores try to schdule as few Checkers as possible and as few hours to save money but then they work them to death like slaves complaining that customers can't wait too long because it makes the company look bad. You can't have it both ways. Turn over is high and people are flakes when you pay them peanuts when you work them to death. No incentive to work harder or move up. She has been their barely 3-4 months and they already want to promote her to work the deli department too.

Number one reason the line is moving slow is the leechers on Welfare, EBT, and Wick. The procedure to process that shit takes extra time on the register and people are always going over the limit or they are trying to buy something that is not covered but will swear on their Mother they get it all the time no problems.

Walmart won't pay for baggers so if the customers are willing to help bag their own grocerys as they are being scanned then it would help with the lines but alas most people are lazy and entitled so they don't mind senior citizens doing all the heavy lifting and then wonder why it's taking so long.

I shop at her store and always use the self check out and I'm in and out in a flash. Your first mistake was shopping for grocerys on a Saturday and before a major holiday so of course it's going to be busier than normal. What I do is I shop at night usually 8-9 PM a few hours before closing at that time the store is less crowded and the lines move faster. Can not for the life of me understand why everyone is in such a hurry. Unless you are going to be late for work which is at your own risk, sometimes you just have to wait. It's not like the workers are being slow on purpose just to piss everyone off.

Also to be considerate of people behind me I will throw my stuff in the basket after scanning them and then proceed to bag them out in the parking lot before I get in my car. So that I don't hold up the line for the next person when it's busy.
 
Posts: 888 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My son started working at WalMart in July. He stocks shelfs and goes in the frozen room which he likes to work In. When he got the job, they started him at $13, but told him after labor day the pay goes down to $11. I told him to work slower after labor day. It is a job until he finds something else which I think will happen when all the summer people go back to school. He starts work at 0400 to 1300 hours. Never heard him say anything bad, he is a quiet gentle giant.


Living the Dream
 
Posts: 3043 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
4X5 here is a # you will like to call.
Corporate office!
The lady that helped me was a sweetheart.
Got it resolved,+ my store manager called me at home and was all so helpful with my couple problems.
The department manager that started the shit with me is also GONE
 
Posts: 21641 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:

Walmart won't pay for baggers so if the customers are willing to help bag their own grocerys as they are being scanned then it would help with the lines but alas most people are lazy and entitled
The physical layout of the checkout register area for attended (cashier) lanes at all the Walmart locations near me would not allow customers to do their own bagging. Everything is done on the cashier's side of the system, the customer can't reach anything until after it's bagged and the cashier turns the turntable that holds the bags.



A mind is a terrible thing.
 
Posts: 18984 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Walmart here has a decent number of baggers at all times in addition to the self checkout.


Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
 
Posts: 4934 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
My son started working at WalMart in July. He stocks shelfs and goes in the frozen room which he likes to work In. When he got the job, they started him at $13, but told him after labor day the pay goes down to $11. I told him to work slower after labor day. It is a job until he finds something else which I think will happen when all the summer people go back to school. He starts work at 0400 to 1300 hours. Never heard him say anything bad, he is a quiet gentle giant.



He started out at $13.00/hour with the promise of a $2.00/hour pay CUT in the future? Isn't that somewhat counter-intuitive?
 
Posts: 118 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 21093 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah,

went to Sams a few days ago and they have converted HALF of they lanes to self checkout.

I do not use them as I worked in a grocery store when in high school and part time after high school for a few years.


NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
 
Posts: 2338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
The problem is Walmart is cheap they screw over the employee's to line the pockets of the share holders and executives.

My Mom works as a checker at a Walmart Grocery she was out of work for a few months when her previous job of 12 years went under and this new job pays the bills until she finds something better. She works as hard and as fast as she can.

The Managers of these stores try to schdule as few Checkers as possible and as few hours to save money but then they work them to death like slaves complaining that customers can't wait too long because it makes the company look bad. You can't have it both ways. Turn over is high and people are flakes when you pay them peanuts when you work them to death. No incentive to work harder or move up. She has been their barely 3-4 months and they already want to promote her to work the deli department too.

Number one reason the line is moving slow is the leechers on Welfare, EBT, and Wick. The procedure to process that shit takes extra time on the register and people are always going over the limit or they are trying to buy something that is not covered but will swear on their Mother they get it all the time no problems.

Walmart won't pay for baggers so if the customers are willing to help bag their own grocerys as they are being scanned then it would help with the lines but alas most people are lazy and entitled so they don't mind senior citizens doing all the heavy lifting and then wonder why it's taking so long.

I shop at her store and always use the self check out and I'm in and out in a flash. Your first mistake was shopping for grocerys on a Saturday and before a major holiday so of course it's going to be busier than normal. What I do is I shop at night usually 8-9 PM a few hours before closing at that time the store is less crowded and the lines move faster. Can not for the life of me understand why everyone is in such a hurry. Unless you are going to be late for work which is at your own risk, sometimes you just have to wait. It's not like the workers are being slow on purpose just to piss everyone off.

Also to be considerate of people behind me I will throw my stuff in the basket after scanning them and then proceed to bag them out in the parking lot before I get in my car. So that I don't hold up the line for the next person when it's busy.


What is amusing, is that at least around here, they get robbed blind on the self checkout.

I'll shit you not, at least 20 percent of "customers" who go through these steal. The majority just either honestly forget to scan, or are too stupid to use it correctly. But 5 to 10 percent go there intentionally and have a field day.

We get calls from mongoloid LP employees who review tape after tape of theft on these. Then they want us to catch them with a terrible top down camera shot that shows basically nothing more than the color of the hair and a hair style, *which of course here in 2018, can't exactly be counted upon to show you the biological sex of said thief).

There is no possible way this saves them more than it costs them.





Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
 
Posts: 32164 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Stores in the US need to be more like stores in eastern Europe in 1993. You'd bring all your stuff up to the cash register, where a highly competent employee grabs them, manually types in the prices at lightning fast speed, and then throws them down the chute to the bagging area. You bring your own bags, and after loading everything onto the conveyor, run around to the bagging side and try to keep up with the cashier lady as you frantically stuff the items she passes down into your bag. If you don't keep up, or in any way slow down the process, she berates and swears at you...all the time typing in prices so fast you can't see her fingers.

And you'd better damn well have exact change...and it damn well be ready when she's done typing, or there will be more cussing. I even saw them go through customer's coin purses and count it out themselves because the customer was too slow. Kinda flies in the face of our American sensibilities, but it sure kept the lines moving, and provided entertainment at the same time Big Grin.
 
Posts: 2890 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to WalMart


Mistake #1

quote:
On Saturday


Mistake #2

quote:
I decided from now on, if it can't be bought at CostCo, then we don't need it.


Problem solved.

There's a price to be paid for shopping at Wal-Mart. Your bill at the register maybe lower than if you went to a regular grocery store, but is the time and aggrevation worth it? We live in a great country that we have so many options of what to buy, where to buy it, and the general abundance and availability of goods and services.
 
Posts: 4126 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    WalMart self checkout

© SIGforum 2018