SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is the SSA as inept as the IRS?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the SSA as inept as the IRS? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Earlier this week I met with a financial planner to consider my retirement options (I'm not retiring, but at 66, I need to be prepared). One outcome of that meeting was that I set up an online account with the Social Security Administration (ssa.gov). I went through the entire security profile and created a username and password. I did the research I wanted, and signed out.

Today, I wanted to find out some more of my details, and found that I could not access my account. I went to https://secure.ssa.gov and entered my credentials, only to receive a message, "An account can not be found. You may select the 'Create An Account' button below to create an account."

I use a secure password manager, so I double-checked my credentials. Tried several time, using my email address instead of my username, etc. Always received the same error message.

So I tried the "forgot username" link, entered my data and received a login page with my username and password filled in for me. You'd think clicking the Sign In button work now work, yes? No. Same error message.

So I tried the "forgot password" link, and did the same thing. This time, there is a Next button, which I clicked. "We cannot verify the information you provided. Please correct your information and try again." Excuse me? I know my SSN and date of birth, all that's left is my username -- which the site just validated!

After several attempts, SSA has "suspended electronic access to your personal information." Huh? It's ***MY*** personal information!

Now I have to get on the phone with some overpaid, underworked gubmint drone to find out exactly how they managed to screw up something that even a teenage website designer couldn't screw up.

Argh!

Edited to add: I called the number given (1-800-772-1213) and as instructed, said "Help Desk." The response I got was: "my social security help desk. All of our agents are busy. Please call back later."

And we pay dearly for this shit!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Try a different browser?

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
ISTR running into the same problem with SSA's site. I had to talk to a Real Person to get it straightened-out.

I haven't tried logging in again, lately.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25988 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You could ask the same questions about any number of government agencies with the same problem. They employ the same people meeting the same standards.

I've found that some large companies have a similar problem so it may just be that very large bureaucracies tend to have the same low standards.

Posts: 9441 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep it is not just the Government. Most financial institutions and insurance companies are the same. Part of the problem is with the built in security features. Two factor authentication and the like. I experience this sort of thing on a regular basis.

The fact that all agents are busy means lots of folks are having similar problems.

Posts: 17161 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I'm an insurance agent selling MA and PDP plans for a private company, you probably never will get an answer at that number, call your local office.

You are correct, this issue will be a tough one to fix, talking to these people on a near daily basis, as well as correcting my customers who have been given wrong information from them is a real headache.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
When we created our SSA online accounts, we had to lift the credit freezes we had in place. Evidently SSA needs to access one's credit history to open the account. Do you by chance have fraud alerts or credit freezes in place at Equifax, etc.?

Posts: 1264 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've never had a problem with collecting SS and accessing my account. I started 14 months ago when I turned 66, did it all thru the www site w/o ever visiting the office which is three miles away.

I'm certainly not saying SSA is prefect, but for me they're been amazingly efficient.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue. I wanted set up my account before a thief did (Equifax hack). Finally got a human that actually knew her shit & got me together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ops cwo
posted Hide Post
All are long term GOV employees that cannot be fired so yes they all suck.

Posts: 261 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I've had to call SSA several times on the phone. I found they were quick to answer questions, would give you their full name and phone number to call back with any more questions. This is the one government agency that seemed like they knew what they were doing. I might have gotten lucky with the calls I made, but as I said, my experience with them was very good.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the SSA as inept as the IRS?

I've never dealt with the IRS so can't answer your question but I can say that that the SSA web site, as well as the Medicare portal, have been easy to navigate, both for enrollment as well as follow-up work. My wife's experiences have been the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally went down to the SSA office and sat down with an agent to discuss case.

Tried to phone them, but wait was too long.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I frequent SSA headquarters in Woodlawn, MD.

In answer to the OPs question...yes yes and...yes.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post