SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Had some custom work done on a pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had some custom work done on a pistol Login/Join 
posted
Got my pistol back yesterday from a nationally famous gunsmithing operation. I sent it in for some trigger work and some sights.

The slide now travels smoothly backward about 1/2", then it catches. You can pull it past the catch, but then the slide stays back on its own accord. A gentle bump forward will remind the recoil spring to go to work.

Oddly, the pistol passed their ~$50 test-fire with flying colors. Roll Eyes

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That doesn't sound right, but have you actually shot the gun? You can't exert the same speed and force on a slide with just your hands that firing a cartridge does. (I suspect it won't shoot either.)

I once got a custom "short" (thinner) trigger for a SIG that looked like it had been beaten into shape with a ball-peen hammer.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The slide now travels smoothly backward about 1/2", then it catches. You can pull it past the catch, but then the slide stays back on its own accord.

That's the custom job. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26351 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Please tell us who did the work.

That knowledge might save the rest of us from some grief.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted their customer service (Hopefully it is not STI Mad ) about the functioning of the slide?

Would they charge fifty bucks to have the guy empty brass or would they have an accuracy guarantee to go along with it?

I knew a guy that had the same problem. I bought the gun from him as a box of parts that he couldn't wait to rid himself of.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Not before he gives the 'smith an opportunity to correct the problem.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:

But it's very annoying. Shipping it to them, waiting for the work to get done and the pistol to come back. NOW, having to ship it again (and $$$), having to wait, and waiting to get it back...….they should have tested that before it ever went to him to begin with.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
What kind of pistol? Make & Model?

Are you sure it's assembled correctly? Have you field stripped & reassembled the pistol? Recoil guide rod/spring binding and/or misaligned preventing cycling?

We need a little more info unless you just want to 'Pitch your bitch!'.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now, I'm just venting. I received it Friday night, and I haven't had a chance to talk to the 'smith.

I'm no expert, but the aluminum flakes on the bottom left side of the barrel link and the marks in the top of the aluminum trigger appear seem to be relevant clues.

I have NOT fired it because, in my pea brain, taking two pieces of metal that were not playing well together and adding pressure and velocity in a short time period seemed like a suboptimal idea.

I am guessing (hoping) they'll take care of this.

Thanks for listening.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Stuck in the middle of these statements maybe wait to see if the Smith fixes the GOOF but I would still liked to know who it is.

Posts: 1600 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
quote:
quote:

Stuck in the middle of these statements maybe wait to see if the Smith fixes the GOOF but I would still liked to know who it is.
Agreed. I might choose not to use a vendor who does work like this. Whether or not they take care of it is irrelevant to me, I don’t want to use somebody who screws up an expensive gun in the first place. And it would be an expensive gun, as I would not bother paying for shipping, waiting time, and gunsmith work for a cheap pistol.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I understand the dilemma of not outing the gunsmith but I’d would like to know who he is and how he rectifies the situation. I’d be pissed about double the wait time, double the shipping, etc.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Mistakes happen to all of us. How we deal with and own our mistakes says a lot about a person. Hopefully your 'smith will take care of this to your satisfaction and timeline.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post