SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is it because I'm old, or has my memory failed me?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it because I'm old, or has my memory failed me? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Hey Paul, you're 69 now? Bad news, buddy. It gets worse. Like the square of your age.

Just turned 70, but yeah...I've noticed the progression over the last 10 years or so.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have trouble with numbers. I've taken to having my wife check all my electronic payments before I send them.

As far as home repairs go, the last one I did was a bathroom faucet. Turns out a prior owner had glued parts of the old one, like the handles, in with loc-tite. Turned out quicker, cheaper and easier to replace the whole faucet than to pull and replace the cartridges. 20 bucks, 20 minutes.

My old house was a nightmare from hell. Among other problems, all inside water lines had to be replaced because, under the building codes in 1953, the electrical system was ok grounded to the plumbing. This caused the inside of the pipes to become electroplated over time, due to the high mineral content of the water.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Only 65 but I'm making mistakes I simple did not make in middle age. Silly stupid things like forgetting I cut an inch when making a precise measurement, or where I laid down a tool 2 minutes ago. Time and material waisted. It hasn't gotten too bad... yet... but its still maddening sometimes. Ever make a list on the job to be sure you pick up all of what you need... then forget to take the list when you go?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Ever make a list on the job to be sure you pick up all of what you need... then forget to take the list when you go?

Forget the list, forget the phone, forget to arm up, forget the eggs I was supposed to drop off at the daughter's place, et cetera, ad infinitum.

I tell my wife on a nearly daily basis, "I'd forget my ass if it weren't bolted on."

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
If you’re like me, you spend some time standing in the middle of the garage, trying to remember what you went out there for.

I resemble that!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Used to get several things done by working all day.
Now, I work all day to get something done. Wink

Wait until you are approaching 83 years old!

Then it is a toss up, what is going faster, knees or memory?!?!?!?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Right now for me, the part that gets me pissed is starting a sentence and am at a loss for the word I want to use. It comes to me shortly, but very aggravating.

Yup. Daily.

Hourly!

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

And if I'm upstairs, my pencil and tape are in the garage and vice versa. Get smart, have one pencil and one tape upstairs, another pencil and another tape in the garage. That works for about two trips, then they're BOTH on one end or the other, whichever is the least convenient.

This right here is definitely NOT age. Hell, I'm only 35, and when I'm working on a project, inevitably both pencils and both tape measures are in the back of my truck next to the saw if I'm in the house needing to measure, or in the house next to the job when I'm out by the truck needing to cut. Or worse, I climb down and go to the other place looking for them, only to realize they're clipped to my belt, behind my ear, or in my pocket Big Grin.

Heck, it's the same with propane for the grill. I bought two tanks so that when one ran out, I'd be able to just switch to the second one and go fill the empty one...that way I'd never find myself without propane. Great plan, right? Yeah...90% of the time when I go to the fill station, I'm lugging two empty tanks.

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damnit! Frown Now I forgot what I was gonna post.....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Or worse, I climb down and go to the other place looking for them, only to realize they're clipped to my belt, behind my ear, or in my pocket Big Grin.

Well, I don't have to worry about the "behind my ear" option any more now that hearing aids live there.

Go ahead, ask me how I know. Roll Eyes

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Damnit! Frown Now I forgot what I was gonna post.....

Are you new here? Don't recall seeing your handle before. Big Grin Razz

posted Hide Post
Whether it's a car repair, a repair around the house, or a minor remodeling project, the issue is always - can I do this myself, or do I need to pay to get it done? As I have gotten older, the answer is much more frequently now - I need to pay somebody else. I guess that's to be expected as I grow older.

But I do think that some things have gotten more complex. Some things are not more difficult because of my advancing age. Rather, the task is more complex. As an example, I am not a "car guy." By that I mean I am not like some guys who can take one look at a car and tell you the year, make, model etc. But I do appreciate a good car. Some years ago I remember one of my cars needing a new battery. The battery was old, wouldn't hold a charge etc. Not being a car guy, I still remember buying a replacement battery and changing it myself. Took me maybe 10 minutes to swap it out. Fast forward to about a month ago. Same situation. I need a new battery. A look underneath the hood and I see I would need to remove half the engine block just to get to the battery. So I'm not doing that myself. Has nothing to do with me being older.

Posts: 1057 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post