SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pseudoephredine Limits
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pseudoephredine Limits Login/Join 
posted
I'm not talking about on individuals, although that is ridiculous. I'm referring to the limits ON PHARMACIES. According to a DEA reg based on a 2019 law, pharmacies are required to estimate their usage for a year in advance, and they are "issued" a monthly supply based on that "ration." Locally, we've had a bit of a flu epidemic, bad enough for widespread closing of school. My local pharmacy is not allowed to order any until after the 22nd.

There are a number of prescriptions incorporating this drug, most for flu and upper respiratory infections.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Governmental control to solve complex problems such as drug addiction. I am sure this will put a huge dent in the meth problem.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It certainly put a huge dent in the meth cooking problem.

Back in the mid-2000s, we had meth labs all over the place. Lots of ruined houses/apartments/hotel rooms. Lots of fire. Etc.

The pseudoephedrine restrictions cut that down to basically nothing. The quantities are so limited nowadays that folks can't get enough to cook in large quantities, so either occasionally make small batches for personal use, or most just don't cook at all.

However, there are no such restrictions overseas. So there's still just as much, if not more, meth out there. The difference is that it's produced overseas in industrial-level quantities in huge labs in places like Mexico and SE Asia, and then smuggled into the country, just like cocaine, heroin, etc.

So it didn't solve the meth problem, but it did put a big dent in the meth lab problem specifically, by shifting production out of the country.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screw the meth heads, they'll find a way to kill themselves anyway. I can almost understand individual purchase limits. But to limit a pharmacy, taking no account for epidemics? I guess fewer people will die from the flu that home made dope, so it's cool.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Fuck junkies. They can die. I don’t give a fuck about them when the government interferes with my access to the medications I need.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue is right about labs. We were a HUGE lab state for years. We had a state pseudo law pass probably 15 years ago that killed the lab problem except for border counties immediately. Yes, there was still meth, but we didn't have dump sites to clean up and rampant theft of pseudo and people stealing anhydrous and on and on and on. Displacement.

The various state and federal pseudo laws have effectively shifted the type of meth in wide use from clan lab dirty redneck stuff to almost entirely crystal. I cannot remember the last time I heard of a clan lab in my area and we used to have them constantly. I haven't heard of a one-pot in probably 5 or 6 years.

There's still meth and there are still meth users, but a lot of the related problems are gone. And I know the argument about just enforcing the drug laws harder - we did, and we sent a ton of people to prison for long periods of time (you can get 25 years for 5 grams in this state, and 30 years for 10).

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I'd be much appreciative if you can direct me to the DEA Regulation you stated. My google fu did not bring up anything.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I'm not talking about on individuals, although that is ridiculous. I'm referring to the limits ON PHARMACIES. According to a DEA reg based on a 2019 law, pharmacies are required to estimate their usage for a year in advance, and they are "issued" a monthly supply based on that "ration." Locally, we've had a bit of a flu epidemic, bad enough for widespread closing of school. My local pharmacy is not allowed to order any until after the 22nd.

There are a number of prescriptions incorporating this drug, most for flu and upper respiratory infections.

What medication are you talking about??
SAMBUCOL at Walmart or Costco is good for the flu.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Governmental control to solve complex problems such as drug addiction. I am sure this will put a huge dent in the meth problem.

Just like the !#$%!!! packaging of medication containing PE. They're a stone bitch to get open, but probably slow PE abusers down hardly one whit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here ya go, AZSigs. Straight out of the Federal Register.

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj...otas/2018/fr1228.htm

If it doesn't work, shoot me an email and I'll copy it for you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Fuck junkies. They can die. I don’t give a fuck about them when the government interferes with my access to the medications I need.

this

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This isn’t about the junkies to me, it’s about the side effects of local production to me and the general public.
I hardly ever need this product and would much rather go through the few restrictions when I do than deal with the effects it has on the public at large.
I don’t care for more laws and other government intervention but this has been a successful law to me.
Another one is the laws concerning documentation for scrap metal dealers. My wife is a realtor and these lowlifes used to steal new air conditioners and other stuff out of brand new and vacant homes. This has gone down to almost nothing now. You used to do a walk around at houses to be sure they hadn’t been stripped or weren’t occupied by someone that was inside cooking up drugs. That was a very risky and dangerous thing to stumble onto for a number of reasons.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

What amused me at one time, especially about 7 years ago when I was on a regimen of 10mg oxycodone (Percocet), I could just go to the counter and pick up my prescription. Yet to get a package of pseudoephedrine, I had to produce my driver's license and sign a register book.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

What amused me at one time, especially about 7 years ago when I was on a regimen of 10mg oxycodone (Percocet), I could just go to the counter and pick up my prescription. Yet to get a package of pseudoephedrine, I had to produce my driver's license and sign a register book.

Big Pharma is selling the Oxy, not meth but I suspect the time will come when legal prescription drugs that have abuse issues will face more blow-back, from the public, then legislators.
I understand you point however. There have been some smaller pharmacies that process through a large quantity of other prescription stuff that should receive the same attention, but doesn't.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I suspect the time will come when legal prescription drugs that have abuse issues will face more blow-back, from the public, then legislators.

That time has come. I am currently taking a schedule 4 synthetic opiod for severe sciatic pain in my leg. My PCP said he could no longer prescribe it on a long term basis, and that I had to see a "pain management" clinic. Visits are required every 30 days, at which time you pick up your scrip, which is postdated for the same day you run out on the prior scrip.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
As a vet, they sent me a form from the local distributor from whom I buy most of my control drugs. The form had a list of scheduled (controlled) drugs that they commonly sell to vets. I had to make a list of each one I use, what strength and form, and an estimate of how much of it I will use on a monthly basis.

Nothing (so far) about limiting me to that amount, but they did ask you to be specific. Of course, this process took an employee (and therefore cost me money) to get the information collected. My guess was that they'd put that info into the database and then monitor for anomalies through the year as a safeguard.

I miss the good old days, where you could order as much as you want, and nobody bothered us (as vets).

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in my state, schedule 2 prescriptions must be paper and hand delivered. No fax, phone or email allowed.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

That time has come.

Yep. Been here a while.

A few years ago, I worked for a large retail pharma chain. One day the DEA dropped the hammer on the company and shut down one of the distribution centers. It turned out that some employees there were making a few bucks on the side "rerouting" shipments of oxy.

Walgreens Agrees To Pay A Record Settlement Of $80 Million

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post