SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CC hacked! I've joined the crowd
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC hacked! I've joined the crowd Login/Join 
posted
This afternoon I got a phone call(which went to voicemail since I was driving). Checked voicemail when I got home (just about 5 minutes). Called the number on my card (the VM number was different). Seems they wanted to know if I charged $1,050 at Sam's club today. Nope, not even a Sam's Club member. The only jeeky charges were today ($1,050), and yesterday for $0.0 ? CC Company cancelled my card, and a new one is on the way. This is the card I use for online purchases, so I think that that's where the fraud happened. Could have been a skimmer also.
Thinking about a $500 limit CC for use online. I rarely purchase even close to that.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My 1 month old Chase Sapphire Reserve was compromised this week. I would guess it was at a gas station pump. None of them have chip readers.

This is an inconvenience as we are traveling to our winter spot in Florida from Montan.a Glad I've got a few more cards .

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
This afternoon I got a phone call(which went to voicemail since I was driving). Checked voicemail when I got home (just about 5 minutes). Called the number on my card (the VM number was different). Seems they wanted to know if I charged $1,050 at Sam's club today. Nope, not even a Sam's Club member. The only jeeky charges were today ($1,050), and yesterday for $0.0 ? CC Company cancelled my card, and a new one is on the way. This is the card I use for online purchases, so I think that that's where the fraud happened. Could have been a skimmer also.
Thinking about a $500 limit CC for use online. I rarely purchase even close to that.

The amount doesn't really matter. A compromised card is a compromised card.

Better proactive measure would be to set up email notifications for all transactions.

I get an email straight to my phone seconds after any transactions hit my card. Swipe the card, my phone buzzes moments later.

If I get a notification and I'm not physically in front of a credit card terminal or in front of my computer making a purchase, then I investigate further.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Better proactive measure would be to set up email notifications for all transactions.

I get an email straight to my phone seconds after any transactions hit my card. Swipe the card, my phone buzzes moments later.

If I get a notification and I'm not physically in front of a credit card terminal or in front of my computer making a purchase, then I investigate further.

This sounds like an excellent idea! I'll contact my CC companies tomorrow to see if I can get this set up. THanks!

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eat, sleep, fish.
Forced to work.
posted Hide Post
Wow, Aeteocles that is a great idea. I'm going to check into it also. My Amazon card was hacked in December, which I did not know until I got my statement a few days ago. Someone charged $49.xx to "zee cigs" in Texas, to some e-cigarette outfit. I have never used one, never bought one and it surely was not my purchase. I've only used this card for Amazon purchases. I called Chase immediately and they removed the charge and will look into it. They have issued me a new card.

Posts: 715 | Location: MN | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our primary card (Chase) has been hacked often, which is why we now have a backup thru a different bank. We travel a lot and need a back up card.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Chip cards are a joke.

After my debit card was compromised my CU suggested that I not enable the c/c function of my card and allow it to only be used as a debit card with pin number activation.

Fine, for awhile. When the new chip card came I thought "more security".

Well, until I went to a Wal-Mart. Seems that in at least the two I have been to recently when you use your debit card they do not require a pin number to validate the sale under a certain dollar threshold.

So if you physically lose your card and a person so inclined finds it they can use it albeit for small purchases at Wal-Mart and who knows how many other stores.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just go with the assumption that they are all compromised. I don’t care one iota about my CC getting stolen. I’m more concerned with my debit card being compromised, so I keep most of my money in savings and move money over when I pay bills.

My CC was hacked last week. My credit union caught it and called me, however they left one charge on there I had to go back and dispute. I think I’ll have them kill my debit card and send me a new one of those too.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, welcome to the real world. If you use a CC, expect to be hacked, not just once, but many times .

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have had a CC and debit card comprised. Bank caught the debit card and I caught the CC. This is the reason I take a few minutes every day to check my balances as this is how I caught the CC hack.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is my method. For all CC's, any transaction over $0.99 generates a text and email alert. Almost all of the alerts are for my activity, but a quick glance at the phone screen lets me know if there is trouble. I can easily mass delete them later. Also, for bank account activity, I set similar alerts, for payments (a higher dollar amount), and for any outgoing wire or transfer activity.

One nice feature of the later versions of iOS is text message forwarding. I have that set up for both Macs, and keep the Messages window open at all times. Any incoming text appears in three places at once (each Mac, and the phone), and it is so much easier to text interactively using the Mac keyboard. Also for 2FA, where they send you a text with a number you have to enter, just double click it on the Mac Messages window, copy, and paste into the browser. Sorry for the brief thread drift.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 times last year was enough. I no longer use a debit card, cash only. Credit card only for online purchases.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Chase has a security feature where they will text you if your card is used at a gas station.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
My card was compromised less than a year ago. Was issued a chip card and it was hacked a few days ago. Twice in a year sucks.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it's an online order, do ya think the CC company is smart enough to get with Sam's and cancel the order or stop the shipping? Or, better yet, work with law enforcement regarding the delivery address? Or maybe, they don't really give a shit - too much time and effort?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not a bad idea, but the crook already has the goods by the time you get the text or email.

I'm retired and don't need to keep up with email, so phone notification is off and I just check email when I get home.

As long as you notify the cc company within x days, it's all good.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
We just had two female ID theft suspects sentenced, so I can mention some of the story...

We arrested one for warrants when she came to visit a male inmate in the jail. She presented her friend's ID because she thought (correctly) that she had warrants, but then so did her friend who drove and was in the parking lot.

When contacted, she ran, there was a short pursuit and she then hit a Subaru and rolled the SUV. She was hooked for warrants, felony eluding and the meth.

That was on a Saturday night in March. On the next Wednesday I listened to their phone calls and the runner girl gave out a series of numbers, a CVV number and the expiration date of a card belonging to a guy in Louisiana. I contacted him and he hadn't given his info to anyone in Colorado, but checked and he was hit for $700.

The next day when we executed the search warrant on the impounded vehicle we found more meth and the runner's notebook with 9 pages of credit card info fro all over the country.

I interviewed both of them and learned that they reguarly went to a kiosk in a grow store in Denver and bought bitcoins to use to buy credit card info from the Dark Web.

We started out with 26 felonies, but the plea bargain process got it lowered to three felonies each and both got four years Community Corrections.
Neither is expected to make it and with a direct sentence to Comm Corr, one screwup and it's CDOC time. We have a pool going.

The scarey part is that these are two very young and very stupid girls (19 and 23 at the time). Everybody they know has a six-digit CDOC number and the whole demographic are on parole/probation/running from warrants/dealing meth/etc. These are not sophisticated white collar crime type of guys. These assholes are as common as dirt and from the sounds of their phone calls this is an on-going alternate source of revenue for them.

I wrote some additional warrants based on what I picked up on and so far the others have bonded and failed to appear in our court or have local criminal charges in the counties they were picked up in so only the two girls have been through the court up here.

I don't think they're the only ones running this game and if these two can learn how to do it so could any other meth head piece of shit.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Got my new card yesterday. They tried to buy $298 worth of electronics in New Orleans with it. Credit card company called, I was in California. I was on day one of a 9 day trip. Good thing I had a backup card to use. What a pain.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So why carry a debt card unless you want to get cash out of the ATM.
Use a credit card and pay it off each month and collect the bonus rewards.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
We have one main card tied to things and use for almost everything. We got hit again tonight, it’s a once yearly or so thing.

Barclaycard Arrival sent us an email minutes after it happened so I called and took care of it, but now I’m out that card for a week. We use it for the points so as the most used it’s the most vulnerable but I have no complaints with the card company.

I use this, we have another for certain online purchases and a two others as backup/alternate rewards cards. Never use the debit other than to get cash once a year or so at the banks own atm. I’ll be getting another account with a debit card for vacation cash withdrawal out of town.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post